Thread: Cable Modem Resetting

Question Cable Modem Resetting

If my cable modem keeps resetting itself, such as.. all the lights go off including the power light, is that something with the network, or does it mean i have a faulty modem. mine seems to go out 5 times per hour at random hours.

SG Enthusiast
    The modem amy be faulty, expecially with the power light going out, but you are on the @home network and it is slowly, maybe not so slowly, dying.

Kip

If the power light is going out it I would say its a faulty modem.

Re: Cable Modem Resetting

Originally posted by wscheng
    If my cable modem keeps resetting itself, such as.. all the lights go off including the power light, is that something with the network, or does it mean i have a faulty modem. mine seems to go out 5 times per hour at random hours.
    Why not call your cable company? That is what you are paying for.
    Have Heart Will Fly!

i do call them, and they have switched out my cable modem. let's say the initial week i got my service, it was pretty perfect.. then it kept shutting on and off. Then they came in and switched out the modem.. service was great for a week..

now it does the same thing turn on and off on and off. I call them.. all they do is send someone out and change the fittings, and little stuff. They just wont listen. ATTBi is my service i'm in illinois.

What it sounds like to me is that your modem is losing it's lock on the upstream/downstream signals.

If there is a web browser built into your modem, (the surf boards have a great one) you might try looking at the page, usually http://192.168.100.1 will show it. The surfboard has a log that it keeps. That would tell you why your modem is resetting.

Since it is STILL doing this since they have changed out your modem, this tells me that the problem is BEYOND the modem. IF they have been out and changed fittings, splitters, etc. that this problem is also BEYOND your house.

Now, I KNOW that YOU know this, but, the company *** I *** work for, does not like to admit that there may be a problem in THEIR equipment.

I had a similar problem, that EVERYONE in my node was having, and the company kept telling me it was MY pc. Even when the technician came out, and HIS LAPTOP did the same thing, it was MY equipment.

You have an outside problem my friend. It is SOMEWHERE in your node. It might be in YOUR tap, or the next amp down from your pole, but it is outside. You have any neighbors that also have the service? Check with them and see if they have the same problem.

I had an install job one day in the same block where there was a service problem. Turns out that the tap I was feeding from was bad, and it caused EVERY high speed data customer down the line to have a problem.

Good luck.