Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much do cable tech get paid per hour?

How much do cable tech get paid per hour?

Indy? anyone?

Just want to know, seens it could be something that I could do down the road if I don't get a good job or something...
    Live to chase your dream...

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    i am a cable tech but not paid by the hour. but i usually average about 18-24 an hour. just depends on the day. most of them are good and some are bad. all works out by the end of the week.

I am awesome.

Re: How much do cable tech get paid per hour?

Originally posted by Eugene4Pres
    Indy? anyone?

Just want to know, seens it could be something that I could do down the road if I don't get a good job or something...
    So your saying it is a bad job j/k

Back to my essay

I don't think I'd want a $6.50 tech touching my stuff.

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband
    Originally posted by ~Annalysa~

Smart response.

They make 18-25$ an hour.

I was getting $55 per install as a contractor, new contract cut it to $29 per. Job could take from under 1 hour (apartment or reconnect) to half a day or more depending on how much had to be done. I was a fussy installer, so my work had to be top shelf. We had guys that could get a job done in half the time, but I had to follow up on a lot of them due to bad signal. You've read the posts in the Cable forum about crummy workmanship. It can be a decent start to a career, but only if you're willing to do it right.
    Now hop up on that pole and make me proud, son!

Blog Entries
    Well, if we're talking Canadian dollars, it'd probably equate to around $25 to $30 an hour

Actually, most of the techs here make $13 to $25 per hour, depending on the level of experience and the amount of time on the job...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

I worked as a cable installer doing small to medium jobs.
    Around 25 - 1000 cables in schools and Governement buildings.
    Mostly upgrading to Cat5 from coax or Cat3, some fiber too.

I had from 1 to 10 people working under me, I was the salesman, coordinator, and supervisor, and got paid 10 bucks an hour.
    I worked for a cheap prik !

Now I work for myself doing cables and PC repair etc, and set my rate at $35.00/hr

Norm you Ignorant slut! J/K

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Originally posted by Norm

Now I work for myself doing cables and PC repair etc, and set my rate at $35.00/hr
    How do you get your business and is it mostly res or business? I've been cold-calling businesses and getting a few residential referrals from my old buds at the cable contractor. But I need a new angle so I can spend more time making coin and less time wearing out my knuckles.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by eddiec
    I was getting $55 per install as a contractor, new contract cut it to $29 per. Job could take from under 1 hour (apartment or reconnect) to half a day or more depending on how much had to be done. I was a fussy installer, so my work had to be top shelf. We had guys that could get a job done in half the time, but I had to follow up on a lot of them due to bad signal. You've read the posts in the Cable forum about crummy workmanship. It can be a decent start to a career, but only if you're willing to do it right.
    Now hop up on that pole and make me proud, son!
    Just curious, what percentage of the money that you get for a job goes towards insurance and travel costs (ie gas & vehicle upkeep)?
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Man I am going for the rr job

Yes the 6.50 was a joke..

geeesh
    I am awesome.

Well actually, the contractor I worked for supplied the truck, but I bought the gas. The other companies that required the techs to supply the trucks and tools paid a higher rate. Typically, we got about 1/3 of what the company billed for a job, and the other guys got around half. Look around for a small pickup and figure the payment and insurance. Add around $500 for hand tools and you're ready to go. Some contractors will supply the tools and payroll deduct.
    But if you have the opportunity, look around for someone doing networking and get in on the cabling. Try the school system. Or check out a supply house for the cable , alarm and satellite industry (yellow pages) and drop your name as available for hire. There are a couple books on cabling and certifications (seems you can get certified for anything these days).
    It can suck and it can rock. Beats asking if they want ketchup on their fries. I'm now doing networking for myself. Learned a good deal on the cable job and made important contacts. Free advice any time.

Blog Entries

Talking

I think I'll stick with the job I've got Company gives me a van to use, all the tools, a laptop, free cable & internet service, & job security
    ------

Just checked your profile. Online cable tech? How's that different from what you want to do?

Blog Entries
    Actually, what I want to do is move indoors into the headend as a network engineer...I'll get to that point eventually, just riding my time out right now as a field tech...
    ------

*Slaps self in head*
    Right. In a flash of brilliance I now recall you posting some technical insights over in Cable/DSL forum.
    Yeah, stick it out for a while and take advantage of tuition reimbursement. Tech credentials are good, but better if coupled with a degree of some kind, even an associates.

edit: dammit, I hate spelling errors when talking about ejukashun

Uninsured for your health
    How would I go about getting a job as a cable tech? do I just go in and apply, or do they have a certant process I need to go through?
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Originally posted by CiscoCert
    How would I go about getting a job as a cable tech? do I just go in and apply, or do they have a certant process I need to go through?
    You speak my language.
    Live to chase your dream...