Thread: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

whats Generic Host Process for Win32 Services?

Microsoft said its

"This is a generic process, which acts as a host for other processes running from DLLs; therefore, don't be surprised to see more than one entry for this process. To see what processes are using Svchost.exe, use Tlist.exe from the Windows 2000 CD-ROM; the syntax is tlist -s at the command prompt."

?

SG Enthusiast
    You might want to try the programming forum for a better answer...the answer is in understanding the difference between a dll and a service.

DLLs are basically functions (usually dependant on) that are stored as separate files, called by a program when needed. The advantage is that you don't need to embed a function (or set of functions) that is used by many programs (or used infrequently) in each individual program. Probably cuts memory usage.

A process can be independant (ie no parent program required to call it) or a child process, spawned to do some small piece of a job that parent process is responsible for. A Webserver is a process and Apache spawns children to handle individual requests for resources.

As I understand it, the process that you are asking about allows a dll to run as a process - its hosts the dlls and requests resources on its behalf. I am not a hardcore developer (especially not in the windows environment) so that is about all I can tell you.

Hope that helps - I would still recommend reading up on services, processes, and dlls and then posting to the programming forum.

Cheers,

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)