Thread: testing cable signal?

testing cable signal?

i was wondering... how would i do that? (the topic)
    i keep hearing you guys talking about signal test and how it is...
    but how would i go about testing mine? or do i need a special tool to do that?

People test a coax cable signal by finding out how strong it is, and how much noise comes in with it. There's special, and very expensive tools, that cable operator technicians use to check your signal levels for this. Some cable modems also tell you basic signal strength level information, like your transmit/receive power levels, and what frequencies, or channels, your cable modem locks into to transmit data.
    OMARNYC.COM - My place on the web

Why don't you tell us what type of modem you have...if it has a GUI, somebody here will be able to tell you how to access it.

hi guys okie...

the modem that i have is the Tobisha PCX1100U

hope someone can help me...
    i wanna see what's my transfer rates are w/ my current connection

Sorry...no GUI on this one that you will be able to see.

Besides, a GUI will not show you transfer rates. If you want to know your caps, call your cable company.

For transfer rate tests, go to:

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

yea i called my cable company

they said i'm capped at 2-3 or 3-5 MBps... and my up is like 386KBps... i'm not sure

but they said my line to my house was only 1.5down and 51.6KBps up... so i don't know

Blog Entries
    More than likely, you're probably capped at 3 Mbit down and 384 Kbit up...not sure about the second set of numbers you gave other than that may be what your cable operator is telling you that you may expect to see realistically coming into the modem...
    With the computers I work on every day, every one of them is capped at 3 Mbit down and 128 Kbit up, but I typically don't see any faster than about 2 Mbit down...and that's pretty consistantly true throughout the system that I work in...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein