Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable Modem and My TV...

seymore

Exclamation Cable Modem and My TV...

Hello... This will take a long time.. heh..

Well, I got my cable modem, and the guy who came in was not from RR. It was a contractor. He setup stuff for me, and said that I wasn't supposed to hook my TV to the Cable Outlet, but it was okay to do that. Out of curiosity, I hooked up my TV to the Cable Outlet, and there it was, Cable TV, with HBO and Bravo and all the premium channels... jackpot!

Well, but, when I started to surf the net, it was weird. My internet kept losing sync. And it had trouble finding it back again! So I took off the TV off the cable outlet.. :-( The internet was fine after that... it still is.

That brings me up this question: how can I get back my free Cable? I don't wanna call RR, because they'll shut it back down... and I don't wanna give up my cable internet service. Let me remind you, my house was already cable-ready. It had outlet in every room. My computer (linked to Cable Modem) is in my room,and the tv is in the other room. Should it have that kind of problem? and what should I do? Is there any hope for my free premium cable channels???

(someone said something about digital splitters, but i don't think that's going to help, I didn't hook up my TV and Cable modem to splitters! It's going directly into my cable outlet in my room!!)

reply asap!!!

seymore

Well this is rather illegal.. but RR must not care otherwise they would have sent out somebody to disable your cable TV part. Why you have problems while hooked into the TV is anybodys guess. Cable TV and Cable modem run off different frequencies. The Cable TV line is very forgiving.. there can be a lot of line clutter, and very little problem on the TV. But for cable modem, if there is moderate line noise, you will lose sync, slow down. Etc. Try getting some cable line boosters if you really want to get this working

Registered User therealcableguy's Avatar
    Try calling the Cable company and setting up an installation for T.V services

SG Enthusiast
    The technical problem is most likely that the TV set is emitting noise on the upstream frequencies used by the cable modem. You will need a high-pass filter between the TV and the line to fix that.

If you have cable TV in every room, you also have somewhere one or more splitters. Each splitter reduces the signal level, and your modem may be getting less than the correct level of signal. Since the house was wired for TV, it may also be that it is too high, as TV normally uses a higher signal level than cable modems.

The real issue is theft of service. In some locales it is a felony. You don't want to do it. You will likely be caught, and if caught you will be prosecuted.

Kip

Re: Cable Modem and My TV...

What you are doing is pure stealing. I hope you are caught and prosecuted.
    That's my 2 cents.

Dell 1.8GHz, 512 MB RAM
    40 GB HD
    Windows XP
    Modem, Toshiba PCX1100
    Criminals love gun control!

seymore
    Hey hey hey...

I know it's bad.. But, it wan't me who enabled the TV. There must be a separate switch or something to enable my Cable Internet Service and TV.. And I wasn't the one who turned my Cable TV on! But, I understand what you say. I probably won't do anything anyways.. I love my broadband connection and I'm not willing to sacrifice it for tv.. I don't watch tv anyways...

How is it stealing if you simply hook a TV up to a line THEY installed? You didnt modify anything, or alter configurations. You have free TV, use it! They cant do ANYTHING to you.
    I am a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

NYR 56:

Guess your right.. I will agree with you.. he didnt modify anything, or alter configurations.
    I didn't give it enough thought before I posted.

I know here you required to have cable TV before you can get internet.

Hey, seymore.. I take it back. :

Dell 1.8GHz, 512 MB RAM
    40 GB HD
    Windows XP
    Modem, Toshiba PCX1100
    Criminals love gun control!

seymore
    Thankx man... I thought I was really going to Jail.. Heh

Well, now that I got free TV and all that, what would be the best solution to get 2 birds in 1 rock? heh

seymore

SG Enthusiast
    None of us are attorneys. Before I decided to hook up to the "free" TV I'd be damn sure that I was not committing a crime. It is my belief that you are. I suggest you talk to an attorney.

Kip

Check out this persons http://www.geocities.com/flutocracy/cablemodem.htm adventure.

Comcast only thought she was stealing cable.

Conscience is something people invented out of fear. It's a concept, and not a real thing.

Question

I use to work for timewarner RR, If you recieveing free cable weather you hooked it up or not and do not report it. They will charge you for it when they discover you have. Here in my area they go around and check to see if anyone is useing cable for free. If so they can either charge you with cable theft if you do not report the fact that it was installed when you did not order. Weather the tec screw up or not. So your best bet would be to in forum them. If they do checks Like they do in my city. GoodLuck!

Exclamation neo86

You'll find out what fear is when you're standing in front of God. Then your reality will kick in. I pray that you change your ways. As for the free cable, short term appears great, long term could be very expensive. Take a moment to consider the consequences. Besides, if you inform the cable guys, it might turn to your favor.

seymore
    Thankx!!!!!!!!! I'll report it to the RR...

thank you all for your advices..

The spitter cut the signal stregnth too low. You need to lose the TV or get an RF amplifier.

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband
    Originally posted by oakfan52
    The spitter cut the signal stregnth too low. You need to lose the TV or get an RF amplifier.
    amps dont work, they kill the return path

Registered User therealcableguy's Avatar
    "amps dont work, they kill the return path"
    We have older amps in our area that block the return however, our new amps do pass the return path with no problem

TuffGuy

Cool Well what do you know?

Well would you look at all the honest people. It seems to be a lifes' goal to guide the miss-guided for some people. However, this didn't seem to be the question.

In response to your question, here goes nothing. You have to give the Modem the priority. Meaning, you have to supply the modem the cleanest signal. To do this, run your cable line from the input source to a (High Grade T) 1:2. Run a good high grade cable (just a good chunck a cable line) patch line to the modem (Output #1 or B) of the T.

*Note: There may only be a Line(in) and Lines(out) indicated on the T.

Then supply the rest of the house with the output #2 or C of the T. It's possible that you might need a booster for the rest of the house (or maybe not).

My feelings on the legal issues:

First, the RR Modem people supplied you with the capibility to have cable TV. Because your house is cable ready, you then had cable TV signals through out the house. This was not your doing. The legal issue is not with you, it's with the RR Modem Service. They are the factor that in this equation that responsible you givinng you the signal. As far as your concerened, you could be getting this reception from your cabling through out your house (Hense, acting as a antenna).

Second, if you were talking about climbing up the pole, hooking up a line to your house and the using that signal, then shame on you. That is stealing.

Third, you know the details of your situation. In other words, you now know your options. Don't sweat the little Sh@#! I understand some of the negitive responses and moral views; However, case being the cable companies need to resolve their own issues. Their incompitance is at fault here. It's not an issue of your moral fiber.

Inconclusion, most of the people that responed to these postings do not have anything better to do, myself include. Have a nice day

P.S. If you had cable service prior to @home service. And wanted to maintain cancle the TV service, they would simply come out and put a Video filter on your line (Cable TV service). This would give you @Home but block the TV signal.

TuffGuy

And your ways sir I assume are holy and righteous,
    or are you a sinner? Be ye not double-minded.