Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: http:\\192.168.1.1

Unhappy http:\\192.168.1.1

My linksys routers utlility address is http:\\192.168.1.1 but I can't access the page. I always get the page not found screen. I have put the address in my "Trusted sites" in Internet Options...Any Ideas???
    Illegal operation in progress.

try 192.168.0.1
    mine is a netgear
    but that is how i get into it.....
    if that doesnt work try to telnet into it
    If that doesnt work make sure there are any "test" lights hanging or anything on it during the router boot process....make sure your getting a link and its actually seeing your Nic

hope it helps :-)

And, if that doesn't work - try changing the backslashes (\) to foward slashes (/) like any other URL.

My mistake...

they should have been // on my original post. I still show page not found.

I get that sometimes when like my Linky has a (whatever)fart. I just have to restart my computer. I cant see why you cant access it. It sounds to me that it would be more of a problem with IE then your Linky. Umm hmmm, well i am not a very big person on IE settings. Sorry.

Good luck,
    neveruseaol
    "***** Happens"

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The Linksys by default is 192.168.1.1

Try it without the http:// you should just be able to enter the IP but that really shouldn't matter though.

Do you have TCP/IP bound to your network card? And if so, is it set to obtain IP automatically (or static in the 192.168.1.XXX Scope).

If so, it is obtaining an IP address from the router, such as 192.168.1.100? You can find out by Start ==>Run==>type in WINIPCFG and select your network card in the drop down menu for adapter type.

Is your browser set to use your LAN for internet access, use Proxy server is not checked, use dial up adapter only is not checked.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    The Linksys by default is 192.168.1.1

Try it without the http:// you should just be able to enter the IP but that really shouldn't matter though.

Do you have TCP/IP bound to your network card? And if so, is it set to obtain IP automatically (or static in the 192.168.1.XXX Scope).

If so, it is obtaining an IP address from the router, such as 192.168.1.100? You can find out by Start ==>Run==>type in WINIPCFG and select your network card in the drop down menu for adapter type.

Is your browser set to use your LAN for internet access, use Proxy server is not checked, use dial up adapter only is not checked.
    Tried everything you suggested...No help. Still can't access the setup page.

Hmmm....ok, first lets confirm...when you run WINIPCFG....does your IP address reflect a 192.168.1.XXX address? Yes or no?

If yes, can you go to a DOS prompt and ping 192.168.1.1 with replies?

Did your router ever work or were you able to get to the admin page ever before or successfully browse the web?

Just for laughs, run through the Internet Exploader connection setup wizard again, and make sure you choose LAN with no proxy.

Did your computer work on the internet before...as in can we assume your NIC is setup properly? Do you have a straight patch cable plugged into one of the standard ports on the router switch in back, not the uplink port....and does the linklight confirm connection?

If still no luck, try pushing the little reset button in the front left side of the router. Repeat the above steps after it boots back up.
    Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 06-23-01 at 10:03 AM.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Re: http:\\192.168.1.1

Originally posted by mejohnjr
    My linksys routers utlility address is http:\\192.168.1.1 but I can't access the page. I always get the page not found screen. I have put the address in my "Trusted sites" in Internet Options...Any Ideas???
    in tools,in security,what do have the level set at" click on default level for "internet" then try it.and disable "content advisor".I have that linky router and I don't have any sites in trusted sites,and I have internet at medium(default).

tekelberry
    OK. If you can access download the latest firmware for your version of their router (a.k.a. BEFSR41). Upload the firmware, that will clear all the settings on the router and try accessing it then.

regards,
    Andrew

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Hmmm....ok, first lets confirm...when you run WINIPCFG....does your IP address reflect a 192.168.1.XXX address? Yes or no?

If yes, can you go to a DOS prompt and ping 192.168.1.1 with replies?

Did your router ever work or were you able to get to the admin page ever before or successfully browse the web?

Just for laughs, run through the Internet Exploader connection setup wizard again, and make sure you choose LAN with no proxy.

Did your computer work on the internet before...as in can we assume your NIC is setup properly? Do you have a straight patch cable plugged into one of the standard ports on the router switch in back, not the uplink port....and does the linklight confirm connection?

If still no luck, try pushing the little reset button in the front left side of the router. Repeat the above steps after it boots back up.
    does your IP address reflect a 192.168.1.XXX address? NO

can you go to a DOS prompt and ping 192.168.1.1 with replies?
    Yes no problem with that..

Did your router ever work or were you able to get to the admin page ever before or successfully browse the web? Yes, I'm using it now.. Setup page worked when I first got it..

Just for laughs, run through the Internet Exploader connection setup wizard again, and make sure you choose LAN with no proxy. It is setup that way

Did your computer work on the internet before...as in can we assume your NIC is setup properly? Do you have a straight patch cable plugged into one of the standard ports on the router switch in back, not the uplink port....and does the linklight confirm connection? Everything works fine with the router and no trouble with the internet..I just can't access the setup page...I really don't need to, it just bothers me that I can't...

!!!Your Computer-You Just Dont Know It YeT!!!

Cool

LoL
    DaMn
    Buy a new Router man...
    LoL..ROUTERS THAS WHY I NEVER USE THE DAMN THINGS
    !!!What Man Can Make
    Man Can Brake!!!

Windows XP ( Service Pack 2 )
    Pentium 4 (3) GHz
    2.00 GB of RAM

** Zone Allarm Pro
    ** AVG Anti Virus
    ** Cookie Wall
    ** Pop Up Stopper
    ** Spy Bot
    ** Spy Ware Blasster
    ** Add Aware se Pro
    ** Ccleaner
    ** Clean Up
    ** Port Bloacker
    ** Tweek UI WIn XP
    ** Port Scanner

Dialup 56k
    DialUp-Syd.IPrimus....56k(Motorola internal Modem)

Excellent repsonse Wizkid, very helpful.

Mejohnjr,

I did a search on Linksys's site and this is the only response I could find related to your problem:

Q. I am not able to get to the web configuration screen for the router, what can I do?
    A: You may have to remove proxy settings on your Internet browser, e.g., Netscape or Internet Explorer. Or, remove the dial-up settings on your browser.

This would obviously suggest that the problem does lie in your browser settings. As suggested earlier, I would run the IE setup wizard again, making sure there are no proxy settings and that you have DUN installed.

Waferdog

Yeah good one Wizkid...

Can't believe someone is still using that Fusion imitation graphics card.

JohnJr,

First thing that bothers me is your IP address....I'm talking about the IP address that your computer gets from the routers DHCP, if you left the default settings, your LAN should be given a 192.168.1.XXX address such as 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, etc etc. Your 130.130.130.100 address is puzzling. Are you sure you're talking about the TCP/IP bound to the NIC?

Did you try the reset switch in front of the router? How about unplugging it for a while?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yep, I missed that 130.130.130.100 when I did my post. That IP traces to somewhere in central Australia, so I'm a bit confused. My recommendation at this point would be to setup a static IP scheme on your computer. Make your machine 192.168.1.1xx and see what happens. I personally don't like DHCP for home networks anyway.

Also, can you access the setup page from other machines on your network? Are there other machines on your network?

Waferdog

When I first started using this router in April I used the web based utility to set my tcp/ip to the following...

XX.XXX.XXX.XX
    XXX.XXX.XXX.X

and the dns numbers supplied from my ISP.

Now when I try to use those settings, I can't connect to the internet at all.

I had to resort to letting Windows find my IP address automatically in the network settings. As long as it is done that was, it works fine.
    Last edited by mejohnjr; 06-25-01 at 04:50 PM.

Talking Fixed

I don't know how it happened, but I was able to open the setup page and redo everything...It is all working good now and my IP configuration shows 192.168.1.100
    Thanks for the help, case closed.

Easy fix for what your experiencing....unplug the power cord from the router for about 10 secs. I have the same thing happen every now and then and this fixes it

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mejohnjr
    [B]When I first started using this router in April I used the web based utility to set my tcp/ip to the following...

IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Subnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Just for your own good you should probably edit out
    Last edited by hoov; 06-30-01 at 11:23 PM.

Cool I did...

Could you do the same