Thread: Best Cable Modem for Gaming?

Lightbulb Best Cable Modem for Gaming?

I have been having a nightmarish time trying to race Nascar 4 with my cable. I feel sure the problem is somewhere on their end still yet I have tried everything I can think of on my end. I know the actual modem most likely isn't the problem, but for argument's sake what is the best modem for gaming? I am desperate and I will go to any lengths to find a solution. I am with a local independant company and I had to buy this modem when I joined them in January of 1999. I noticed most cable modems these days go for $200 or less. I have already replaced the ethernet, I went with a Linksys Etherfast PCI. I also reformatted my hard drive and did a complete reinstall of WinME.

My access provider says there is no problem if they can ping me without dropping packets. That's BS! I use a program called pingplotter(shareware) www.pingplotter.com that traces each hop to your destination and reports your ping, errors, and packet loss % for each hop. It doesn't matter if I am pinging www.yahoo.com or a race server that I use most (which by the way is only 9 hops)....after 20-30 seconds I experience packet loss at each and every hop no matter what site I am trying to connect to.

I am the last person on my street with access and someone suggested that maybe a line amplifier close to me has weakened or gone bad. Could that cause the problem I have encountered? Even so I kind of doubt that is the problem cause I was fine till about a month ago when everyone lost access for about a week. When the company got us up again, it just was never the same ..at least for gaming. Yes I can surf the net and get email, but the consistent and stable connections I had for over 2 plus years for gaming are gone. The packet loss is a total joke and they say there is no problem. LOL! I also know the problem is not from sharing my bandwidth with too many people. For various reasons this company has not offered their service to new customers since early 2000. This was great for me cause they continued to service the existing customers and I didn't have to share the bandwidth with additional people. But now they have me really screwed up and what's worse....their tech support people are totally clueless. Any ideas on this or suggestions are appreciated tremendously. So what is the best gaming cable modem? :-)
    A-Boyd

If your willing to spend anything..maybe a REALLY REALLY good (and expensive) DSL subscribtion would help you.

And plus why are you playing NASCAR anyway?
    ---the Iranian Fury

DSL isn't an option for me. Heck the phone lines in my neighborhood are so old I can't even connect faster than 28800 with dialup. If DSL where available I would be first in line regardless of cost.

Nascar4 is the only SIM for me. I am a racer....a true racer. I live, eat, and breath racing. I have about $1500 in my wheel/pedal unit. I know some people think that is just insane. But I tell those people....it's my money. Unlike most of my friends, I don't hunt. I don't fish. I don't go bowling or bar hopping. I race. It's my passion. I regularly compete in 3 online leagues with guys all across the country. We race 50% length races. That means our races are half as long as a real Winston Cup race. So most of our races are about 2 hours long with average fields of 20-25 racers. ;-) Fun stuff!
    A-Boyd

Nascar 4 is nice

but my pC is to slow to race alot of AI so its ussually just me and alot of blackies

ииии

ииии

Just what is N4 doing to you?Are you talking about the stuttering problem?N4 is a good sim i find myself playing it way to much.

Atlas,

I am referring to the multiplayer aspect. I get awesome pings...40-60 to most of the servers I race on. My problem stems from packet loss......and tons of it. All cars disappear to me when I warp.....which is when I am experiencing the packet loss. The other players in turn simply see me disappearing and reappearing at random points on the track. Needless to say you just can't have this with a racing sim where inches apart on the track are the norm. I may be fine one lap and disappearing the next lap or even being disconnected.

To see what I mean about packet loss go download pingplotter at pingplotter.com or a similar alternative at tucows.com. Having one of these programs make it real easy to see not only how many hops your machine has to go through to get to the gaming server, but it also shows if there are any errors(dropped packets) along the way and where they are. Dropped packets are your enemy for gaming purposes. I know my problem doesn't lie with the gaming servers. I know this simply cause I drop packets to any URL or IP address I input. These drop packets occur at each and every hop down the line if I let the program trace for a minute or so. You can set pingplotter up to run continous traces one second apart. So it doesn't take long to see if there is going to be a problem with the route you are on to the gaming server.
    A-Boyd

aboyd3,

Why don't you post one of these ping plots so we can have a look at exactly what you are refering to.

Do you know if your cable company is DOCSIS?

Jon

[IMG]file:///C:/Windows/Desktop/pingplotter.png[/IMG]

Jon,

Here is a sample. Notice for the most part the majority of the dropped packets occur at 1-1.5 minute intervals. And when they drop ...they drop all the way down......each hop. Notice the first column simply shows how many hops from me to the server. The next column shows how many errors have occurred at each hop. The third column shows the packet loss % for each hop. Notice the timeline at the bottom. The problems are showed by those vertical red lines. See how they are almost at identical intervals. If I let it trace for an hour the results would be the same. This was only 191 samples.....at one trace per second....this translates to a little over 3 minutes traced.

I don't know what DOCSIS is..could you explain. I can find out this week as they will be hearing from me quite a bit. Thanks Jon.
    A-Boyd

aboyd3,

The pic. does not show up on my end???

DOCSIS=Data Over Cable System Interface Specification.

When my cable company switched over, I notice a huge increase in ping stability and reliability. What cable madem do you have?

goto start menu click run.type command and click ok.in the dos window type ping -t www.pingplotter.com let it run for a few minutes then hit control c at the same time.It will show you packets sent packet recieved and packets lossed.Post back what your geting.Also try other sites like yahoo.com ect..

Sorry bout that Jon. I kinda figured others may not see it as it is not on the net but on my harddrive. Anyone know how to insert a pic that isn't on the net? Thanks.
    A-Boyd

Atlas,

Packets Sent: 52 Received: 49 Lost: 5%
    Min ping: 27 Max: 55 Avg: 32
    A-Boyd

same thing i got going to pingplotter.com try yahoo.com and let it run a minute or 2 longer.I have a wierd suspision here about pingplotter.

Atlas,

Actually that info I posted just then was for 63.251.143.195....which is a server I race on. But really it doesn't matter if I do www.pingplotter.com, www.yahoo.com, www.espn.com.....it just doesn't matter....I lose packets no matter what the destination is. www.pingplotter.com is just the URL for a site that has a great shareware program designed to help you trace your connections.
    A-Boyd

aboyd3,

Somethings to try if you have not already.

Contact your cable company and have them

1.) measure/monitor your signal to noise ratio.

2.) set up a ticket number with them and submit your ping plots to them so they can determine if it is a router problem within your network. If not they can contact whom ever owns the router.

3.) remove your tcp/ip stack and reinstall tcp/ip.

4.) try a simple dos ping
    ping -n 50 www.yahoo.com >ping.txt

this will ping the specified address 50 times and save it to a file called ping.txt. You can then email that to your service provider and they can trouble shoot you problem.

Thanks Jon.
    A-Boyd