Thread: DHCP Relay on a LinkSys Router??

DHCP Relay on a LinkSys Router??

Does anyone know how to get a LinkSys broadband router to do a DHCP relay? Is there a setup file I can access and look at (like a Cisco does)?

If the Linky doesn't relay, is there a configuration work around? (Not a harware work around like running more CAT5, 2 NICs, etc..)

I managed to pull the second IP, gateway, and 2 DNS(s) through the router once and haven't been able to duplicate since!

-JmE-

SG Enthusiast
    Hi,

Not sure I understand the term DHCP relay. Do you have your host machine configured with a public address and just want the router to forward packets? If that is the case you would be better off with a hub/switch.

Otherwise post some details of what you are trying to do.

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Hello,

I have posted several times asking questions about the various possible ways to acheive my goal. This is yet another way I might be able to get my second IP.

Goal: Get second IP from RR and still be able to access the shares on the LAN behind the router.

I can have the system that is to get the second IP either behind the Linksys or outside it (w/ a hub or switch). The problem with it being outside is that I can not access the shares on the LAN. The problem with it being behind the router is that I can not get the second IP address from RR.

The physical layout of the LAN prevents me from running a second CAT5 line to the computer that needs to have the second RR IP. Therefore, a 2 NIC combination won't help.

One evening, I was sucessful at pulling IP, DNS(s), and gateway through the router but could not surf. I was playing with some exotic settings and I can not duplicate it now.

What I need to find out is if the Linksys can be set up or tricked into relaying the IP from RR. Or, is there some way to access all on my shares behind the router when this system is on a switch (or hub) with the router and modem?

-JmE-

BTW: Yes, I do have 2 IP addresses with my account and they both work simultaneously.

SG Enthusiast
    Jim,

If you are using the RR ip addressing scheme exclusively (not a private 192.168.x.x), you realize that ALL of your traffic is using the RR network -- even just sharing files. Most cable companies block netbios so your neighbors can't hack you. This would prevent file sharing using a switch.

I would get a cheap 4 port hub (or a switch if you have the $$), connect that to the router and use the NAT features built into the linky. This saves you from having a second public IP, allows you to share files on your LAN, and adds a little security to your connection overall. A months of paying for the extra ip will cover the hub cost.

Would look like this:

MODEM
    ROUTER (with RR public IP)
    HUB
    / \
    HOST1(private ip) HOST2 (private ip)

Could that take care of your problem?

Skye

It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

It's not about the cost of the hubs (we install small networks all the time). I have several lying about here.

I really am not concerned about security, I can take care of that.

I get the second IP as part of the normal price.

I have the Linky set up so that the whole LAN surfs through it right now.

I want my system (in my home office) to be able to ge the second IP and I need to be able to access my LAN.

The IPs are currently static and set to a private range.

I just can't get my dynamically assigned IP throgh the router and if I put the system that is to get the IP outside the router, I can't access the LAN.

The question simply is:

Does anyone know how to get the second IP through the Linksys router or to access the LAN behind it??

Either way, I do not care.

-JmE-

BTW: I verified the second IP by using a switch and placing the system to get the IP outside the router. It works great, I just can't access the LAN!!!

Skye,

The difference between a hub and switch (cost wise) is about $10 around here, so it doesn't really take $$$ to use a switch intead of a hub...

I would use a switch over a hub.

-JmE-

SG Enthusiast
    I think I understand now. THat is a tough one. That is beyond the capabilities of the Lynky to my knowledge. You would have to have two routers. One for your cable company>'Public LAN' and one from your Public LAN>Private LAN. Need a router if two different networks are communicating, yes? If you are using the public and private together that is exactly what you are doing. Private IPs (like 192.168.x.x) are non-routeable from a public IP. That fact is what is giving you headaches.

You need dual NICs (allowing that machine to be on two networks) or an additional router (also enabling comm btwn two networks). Just realize that all traffic on the public ip-enable NIC is viewable by your cable company as it uses their routers to find your other machines.

Yes, it is a pain.

The simple solution is the two NICS. you take a switch, you connect the modem, Linky, and the system to get the second IP. The rest of the LAN connects to the router. A seond NIC in the system (the system that is connected to the switch) that connects it to the LAN behind the router. Thios I already knew and was trying to avoid it.

The 2 NICS will work. The only thing that won't work on that setup is that Win98SE will not act as a bridge, therefore when doing things like downloading, you could not save the file directly on a system on the LAN. You would have to save it on the system with the two NICs then copy it over to the LAN. You could not go directly from IE on one NIC to the LAN on the other NIC. A small problem, really. No problem for me.

The problem is that I have to dig another trench to run more CAT5 cable to connect the second NIC (different buildings). Also, I would have to use a USB NIC because I am completely out of slots.

Thanks for the attempt.

-JmE-

***** Correction *****
    I temporarily set up a second NIC (USB) and I found that...
    Win98SE apparently does handle packets across two NICs. I just tried it with a download and it worked perfectly
    Last edited by -JmE-; 06-07-01 at 08:23 PM.

Talking Linksys 2 IP's with RR

JimE, you might trying forwarding the correct ports, Netbios ports, on the Linksys to the correct internal IP address that you want to connect that has the shares on it. Now I would not recommend this, but it should work.

Now you put your personal machine outside the linksys, on a switch that is between your cable modem and the linksys, the linksys will get one IP and your PC will get the other.

Now when you want to connect to the shares, you will need to put in the IP address of the Linkysys. An example of the UNC would be
    \\192.168.1.50\shared.

Let me know if this helps.

Dashrender

lol this thread is 3 years old.
    Will Work For FSB