Thread: how can i bypass Linksys Router Firewall?!!!

how can i bypass Linksys Router Firewall?!!!

I've been trying to bypass the Linksys 4 port Router for sometime now. I have given up. All i want to do is send files through AIM and setup a FTP. I do just what the manual say, disable DHCP and foward ports that i will be using and that would be port 21. Is there anyone on this forum that could take me step by step on how to setup a FTP without the firewall in the way? I use Serv-U to do my FTPing. Maybe i also have to configure some of the options in there too like IP HOME configuration maybe? I am using Win2k by the way....

system spec:
    Win2k (SP1&2)
    AMD Thunderbird 1Ghz@1.38Ghz (10x138fsb)
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Ram
    2x Quantum Fireball Plus AS ATA100
    Abit KT7A-RAID
    Soundblaster Live! Platinum 5.1
    ATI Radeon 64DDR VIVO
    Adaptec 2930cu Ultra SCSI

In the Advanced section of your LInksys Routers Internal Pages you will have a DMZ tab. If you put your system in the DMZ you are bypassing the Firewall.

Give it a try and see if it works. Remember though you are wide open.

Good Luck

nope

That doesn't work for me either....tried that many times with different software...some work some dont....any more advice? All advices welcome!

You should be able to assign static IP's to your computer, disable DHCP and port foward (Advanced | Forwarding tab) to the machine hosting the FTP. Remember, that you have to use the port that you have setup in Serv-U.

You would go to http://192.168.1.1/DHCP.htm to disable DHCP. They you would need to statically assign IP's to each computer starting with 192.168.1.x. Make sure in your network properties on your NIC for TCP/IP you have 192.168.1.1 set for your gateway and that you have the DNS entries from your ISP also added.

After that is done you want to go to http://192.168.1.1/Forward.htm and set the port range to 21~21 using both protocol's and the IP address of the machine hosting the FTP. I use this configuration and it works fine. If you have a software firewall running on the machine hosting the FTP you need to open ports 21 to that machine also.

C.M.

Maybe your ISP blocks port 21 since FTP servers aren't allowed on many ISPs.

Just a thought and something to look into.

Peace,
    FunK
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!

Static IP

ok...here is what i have in the Static IP option...

Destination LAN IP: ??
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Hop Count (Max is 15): ??
    Interface: LAN or WAN ??

what should i put in for the ones with ???'s?

I have disabled DHCP and Fowarded the port 21~21

I also inputted 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway in the NIC TCP/IP setting.

What about the DNS? Would i input something like my ISP provider's IP? I use mediaone here in South FL.

The DNS entry should be placed in the General tab of your NIC properties box. For example, mine has to entries: 24.x.x.6 and 24.x.x.5

DO NOT touch anything in the Static Routing tab of your Linksys configuration. This is only used if you are connected to other routers on your network and you want to manually configure the route your data takes.

You shouldn't have to configure anything other than the static IP's and DNS for your NIC along with port forwarding on the Linksys.

C.M. Weaver:
    "The DNS entry should be placed in the General tab of your NIC properties box. For example, mine has to entries: 24.x.x.6 and 24.x.x.5"

Do u mean within TCP/IP? Im in the general Tab where there is IPX, TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer sharing. The only DNS configuration is within TCP/IP. This is what i had mind, i use IPCONFIG /ALL in the Win2k command prompt, then input the two DNS it shows, into the DNS property of TCP/IP?

Also C.M. Weaver....so now i shouldn't touch any of the STATIC ROUTING configuration on my Router since i am only connected to one router?

So this is what i have to do so far....

1. Input 2 DNS entry to the general TAB of my NIC properties box.

2. Gateway has to be inputted as 192.168.1.1 for my NIC property

3. Disable DHCP on my router

4. Foward port 21~21 on my router.

Im in the general Tab where there is IPX, TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer sharing.
    Unless you are playing legacy games, have Netware installed or have some other use for IPX/SPX....remove it.

Do u mean within TCP/IP?
    Yes, in the General tab of TCP/IP

1. Input 2 DNS entry to the general TAB of my NIC properties box.
    Yes

2. Gateway has to be inputted as 192.168.1.1 for my NIC property
    Yes

3. Disable DHCP on my router
    Yes

4. Foward port 21~21 on my router.
    Yes

Also, make sure that you have assigned a static IP to your NIC in the General Tab in the range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

IT WORKS!!!

Hey thanx a lot for everybody's advise!! Special Thanx to C.M. Weaver! Finally my endless search for this answer can come to a conclusion! It works and that is what counts.

Oh yea...i also have two more questions.

Am I still behind the Firewall provided by my Linksys Router? Or am i un-protected?

Is there something wrong with enabling IPX/SPX? I need them to play old network games like Warcraft II battle net Ed and games that are up to date like Blade of Darkness still uses it.

and again...THANX for everything guys!!!

Am I still behind the Firewall provided by my Linksys Router? Or am i un-protected?
    Yes you are. All you have done is tell your Linksys to send any data that is destined for port 21 to be forwarded to the machine hosting your FTP.

Is there something wrong with enabling IPX/SPX? I need them to play old network games like Warcraft II battle net Ed and games that are up to date like Blade of Darkness still uses it.
    Each protocol you have installed adds to network overhead. If you must have it installed to play legacy games, then by all means keep it installed.

C.M.

Advanced Member
    Hey C. M.

Does this mean that anyone can access the FTP server? I would like to set up a ftp so I can share files with a very limited group of people.

Does this mean that anyone can access the FTP server? I would like to set up a ftp so I can share files with a very limited group of people.
    No, this does not mean just anyone will have access to your FTP. If your using one of the good commercial FTP serving programs you should be able to set up usernames and passwords to limit access to files, directories and drives.