SG Tweaking tools
SG TCP/IP Analyzer - a tool for analyzing your TCP/IP settings.
SG TCP/IP Optimizer - a program for tweaking broadband-related Registry settings, works with Windows 9x/Me/NT/2k/XP/2003/Vista/7/2008
SG Vista TCP/IP Patch - a patch for automatically tweaking Vista settings for broadband connections. Download, run, choose "Y" from the menu to optimize or "D" to rever to the Vista defaults. Works with Windows Vista/2008 Server
SG Speed Test v2 - Speed test, we have a number of mirrors you can use to test your current speed from different locations.
SG Registry Patches - simple Registry patches for adding the optimal settings for tweaking broadband internet connections.
Popular Threads you should read
This is a list of previous stickies, and older threads on tweaking you may want to read:
Rolingstone - TCP Optimizer - Tips For Beginners
Mnosteele52 - Tips on Tweaking - please read
Mnosteele - Mccoffee - Dannjr's take on Tweaking (combined in a single thread).
Lobo's XP Tweaks thread - very informative !
56k Tweaks for all OSes - by mnosteele52
TCP Optimizer - WOW (Feedback for the TCP Optimizer tool)
To simplify the process of getting help with tweaking your connection, try following the guidelines below, and answer as many of the questions as you can:
- Answers to some of the most commonly asked questions can be found here: Broadband Tweaking FAQ
- When asking questions about tweaking, please include your Operating System.
- To return your Registry to its default "untweaked" state, either apply one of our default patches appropriate for your OS, or use our SG TCP/IP Optimizer.
- Your ISP limits your bandwidth. The only thing you can do is optimize your end of the connection... Uncapping is not going to get you far, for more information read the related posts in our General Cable/DSL Forum or our Uncapping Editorial
- Copy and paste your results (not URL) from the SG TCP/IP Analyzer. From the word MTU, all the way down to IP type of service field (RFC1349). Make sure you don't paste your IP Address.
- What Operating system are you running? (Win95/98/2k/XP)
- What type of internet connection do you have? Who is your ISP and what are your advertised speeds. (56krap/ISDN/DSL/Cable/T1/etc)
- What (if any) PPPoE software are you running? [Enternet/RasPPPoE/WinPoet/WinXPPPoE/Router] (If you have a DSL connection which requires you to type a username and password before connecting to the internet, then you're connecting via PPPoE.)
- Post the results of a speed test. There is one in the Members' Menu on the main SG page, here is another sample link: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest
- Download the SG TCP Optimizer. It's a program for tweaking broadband-related Registry settings, works with Windows 9x/Me/NT/2k/XP/2k3 (it has the option to return your Registry to its default "untweaked" state as well)
- Learn more about tweaking:
Broadband Tweaking FAQ
Broadband Tweaking Resources