Thread: Possible errors

Possible errors

Ran a Kaspersky security scan and came up with the following:

Vulnerabilities (3)

Information about applications and operating system components in which vulnerabilities have been detected.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\Digital Imaging\help\player\FlashPla.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\Version7\TeamViewer.exe
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msxml4.dll

Other issues (11)

Information about vulnerabilities associated with the settings of installed applications and the operating system.

"Autorun from hard drives is allowed"
    "Autorun from network drives is enabled"
    "CD/DVD autorun is enabled"
    "Removable media autorun is enabled"
    "Windows Explorer - show extensions of known file types"
    "Microsoft Internet Explorer: clear history of typed URLs"
    "Microsoft Internet Explorer - disable caching data received via protected channel"
    "Microsoft Internet Explorer: disable sending error reports"
    "Microsoft Internet Explorer: enable cache autocleanup on browser closing"
    "Windows Explorer: display of known file types extensions is disabled"
    "Microsoft Internet Explorer: start page reset"

Do i need to fix any of these or should I just leave them alone? If i need to fix them please tell me what I need to do.

thx

Try running Malwarebytes. Sounds like a possible infection or maybe false positives.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Try running Malwarebytes. Sounds like a possible infection or maybe false positives.

Yes, RC,i already ran it but it did not find one so should i ignore it?

I would make sure ALL of your software has been updated. Beyond that I say they are false positives. That is why I don't use Kaspersky. I would suggest Bitdefender (or get the AV software from your ISP if possible).

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
    Do i need to fix any of these or should I just leave them alone? If i need to fix them please tell me what I need to do.

thx
    None of those are false positives or incorrect information. Many brands of security software for your system are now checking versions and settings for you, and suggesting how you can further secure your system by updating the software that it checks, and by making changes in settings on your system such as it suggests.

As "hopefully" you know...various software can have vulnerabilities and exploits it in, which are fixed in constantly released updates. Until more exploits are found..and more updates are released. This report is telling you that it found an old version of Flash in HPs photo and/or scan product....so.....to update that...or uninstall if it you don't use it. It's also telling you that you have an older version of Teamviewer. Soo...update that or uninstall or disable that if it's not used. The .DLL should have an update from Microsoft to put a newer version on. I took a few seconds to do a quick Google on it and found this easy to digest thread...
    http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-u...-kb954430.html
    Seems that HP's software will over-write a current version with an older one, so perhaps updating HPs software will fix that, or re-installing MSXML and it's service packs and updates will fix it.

Or you could choose to ignore it. But then...why install good security software on your system if you're going to ignore it? It's doing its job, it's doing what you got it to do.

The other recommendations are quite self explanatory. "Auto Run" for example...it's telling you that you have it enabled on your system. It is rather common knowledge that having autorun enabled brings increased risk of being infected by things such as USB removable drives, or....if your computer is on a network with other computers and sharing folders/files...autorun on a network is DANGEROUS as it allows malware to spread in the blink of an eye.

Again, your choice to follow the advise KAS is giving you, and have a more secure system, or ignore it..and have a less secure system, and perhaps we'll see a thread by you in here in due time about how to clean some trojan from your system or "why does my system keep getting infected?"
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    None of those are false positives or incorrect information. Many brands of security software for your system are now checking versions and settings for you, and suggesting how you can further secure your system by updating the software that it checks, and by making changes in settings on your system such as it suggests.

As "hopefully" you know...various software can have vulnerabilities and exploits it in, which are fixed in constantly released updates. Until more exploits are found..and more updates are released. This report is telling you that it found an old version of Flash in HPs photo and/or scan product....so.....to update that...or uninstall if it you don't use it. It's also telling you that you have an older version of Teamviewer. Soo...update that or uninstall or disable that if it's not used. The .DLL should have an update from Microsoft to put a newer version on. I took a few seconds to do a quick Google on it and found this easy to digest thread...
    http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-u...-kb954430.html
    Seems that HP's software will over-write a current version with an older one, so perhaps updating HPs software will fix that, or re-installing MSXML and it's service packs and updates will fix it.

Or you could choose to ignore it. But then...why install good security software on your system if you're going to ignore it? It's doing its job, it's doing what you got it to do.

The other recommendations are quite self explanatory. "Auto Run" for example...it's telling you that you have it enabled on your system. It is rather common knowledge that having autorun enabled brings increased risk of being infected by things such as USB removable drives, or....if your computer is on a network with other computers and sharing folders/files...autorun on a network is DANGEROUS as it allows malware to spread in the blink of an eye.

Again, your choice to follow the advise KAS is giving you, and have a more secure system, or ignore it..and have a less secure system, and perhaps we'll see a thread by you in here in due time about how to clean some trojan from your system or "why does my system keep getting infected?"
    Hence the reason I suggested that his software be updated to begin with. Sheesh.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    yeah but the whole "possible infection or false positive" comment is odd.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!