Thread: Comcast Biz SMC & Wireless Router

Comcast Biz SMC & Wireless Router

Hi I have read through a few of the threads I could find on this forum related to this, but I can't seem to get this working....

I am having a little trouble in setting up with my new comcast business SMC device as it has it's own built in DHCP server and switch which makes the setup different than my old cable modem. OK the SMC is setup like so:

It is set as 10.1.10.1 as you can see. From what I can find online I should set the router up as 10.1.10.2 but I am having trouble. I tried this...

Now this works but it causes some routing issues etc... so my understanding is I should just use the SMC as my DHCP server. However, when I set my router like so:

My PC no longer gets assigned a IP address, If I update the router IP to 10.1.10.2 it still will not provide a DHCP address... where and what am I doing wrong? Basically, the goal is to have all PCs go through the router, yet I guess get assigned the IP address via the SMC device? I'm not really sure. I am 90% sure I am right in setting the router to 10.1.10.2 and setting that as DMZ on the SMC device.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Leave DHCP enabled on the SMC.
    Some of my other threads here....plug a PC into your SMC....log into its web admin, go to the firewall tab, put a check in "disable firewall for true static IP subnet".
    Leave DHCP enabled on your Tomato based router...uplink its WAN port to one of the LAN ports of the SMC, put a PC behind your Tomato based router..log into its web admin, on the WAN interface..type in your static IP info from Comcast.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Leave DHCP enabled on the SMC.
    Some of my other threads here....plug a PC into your SMC....log into its web admin, go to the firewall tab, put a check in "disable firewall for true static IP subnet".
    Leave DHCP enabled on your Tomato based router...uplink its WAN port to one of the LAN ports of the SMC, put a PC behind your Tomato based router..log into its web admin, on the WAN interface..type in your static IP info from Comcast.
    I don't have a static IP with comcast, is that what is causing extra issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Dulanic View Post
    I don't have a static IP with comcast, is that what is causing extra issues?
    I've not seen the SMC's used with dynamic IP's..I've setup lots of them on static Comcast accounts. Usually the Motorola Surfboards are used with dynamic IP accounts. If you set your Tomato based router to dynamic/obtain auto on its WAN port..it will probably get a 10.1.10.xxx IP from the SMC..and you'll end up with a double NAT setup..which is not ideal. But..technically all your computers would work from behind your router and get internet access.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I've not seen the SMC's used with dynamic IP's..I've setup lots of them on static Comcast accounts. Usually the Motorola Surfboards are used with dynamic IP accounts. If you set your Tomato based router to dynamic/obtain auto on its WAN port..it will probably get a 10.1.10.xxx IP from the SMC..and you'll end up with a double NAT setup..which is not ideal. But..technically all your computers would work from behind your router and get internet access.
    Yeah and it did work.. except some port fowarding would get caught up. I threatened to cancel and they let me swap to my old Motorola.

There ya go!
    Yeah, port forwarding through double NAT would take a bit of extra "pain in the butt" factor. Do-able..but certainly far from ideal.
    Guinness for Strength!!!