Thread: New Gaming Rig Advice

New Gaming Rig Advice

Hello Im looking to build a new gaming rig, or should i update my current gaming rig I would love to set up a brand new gaming rig but im having trouble matching a good evga mobo up with a cpu and memory that is compliant with eachother.

Current Gaming Rig Set-Up:

Mobo: EVGA 3x Sli
    CPU: i7 920
    GFX (2) EVGA 550ti SuperClocked Versions
    HD: WD 1tb 7200RPM
    Ram: G.Skill 16gb ddr3 1600 (pc12800) ripjaw series
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Titanium (not entirely sure ive had this card for forever now been swapping it from machine to machine lol)

i was wondering if i should build a new gaming rig or just update using the current mobo i have? but im not entirely sure on what i can and cant upgrade to i know the memory should be good for the time being, i would like to upgrade my gfx card to either a really good single card or do another sli set up with 2cards. if i can out perform a really good single card i do need a new HD set up that i would love to fix up and cpu i can probably get something better than the 920 not entirely sure though, was looking for some feed back on your opinions i only play Tera and probably will quit World of Warcraft and continue to play Tera and or Guild Wars 2 when it comes out maybe i only play mmorpgs i would love a really good gaming set up...thanks much for your time and concern..

The i7 920 is still a good CPU. Maybe upgrading to a newer SLI setup or single card might be all you need.

For the CPU you're essentially at the end of the path for that socket.

^thank you so much for your fast response, do you think a single really good card would be good to get im using the HAF 932 full tower case so i have plenty of room for a big card if needed or multiple haha.....all i do is play Tera and other random MMORPGs on this machine so that 16gb of ram im definitely not using that to its full potential overkill most likely, however i do need a new HD set up as well, i was thinking of getting the gtx 680 card whenever i can get my hands on one, but then was told a new card is coming out soon and i should wait it out until that comes out and hopefully then the price will drop on the 680 anyways thank you very much for your help i appreciate it a lot

A new card is always coming out. From what I've seen of Tera I think a 680 would be more than enough, but then again I would think what you have now would be too. Ask around to others that play the game and see what they use.

For hard drives I like SSDs. The Crucial M4s look real good for read speeds, and the OCZ Vertex line seems to be very good for write speeds.

Blog Entries
    The m4 is perhaps the best SSD currently available.
    As for GPU's, it depends on the monitor resolution. At 1080p either the 680GTX or 7970 will suffice. I prefer single card solutions, avoiding any driver issues.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche