Thread: Removing Service Pack 3 from XP?

Removing Service Pack 3 from XP?

How can I remove Service Pack 3 from my system, which is Windows XP Home Edition? I had a problem that I couldn’t resolve myself, and had to take my PC in for service. The tech corrected the problem, but in doing so also installed SP3 with all its updates.

About a year ago I tried SP3 but ran into problems with it. A few of my programs just didn’t operate right, so I uninstalled and went back to SP2. Now I’m having the same problem. When I try to uninstall the Service Pack to revert back to SP2, it tells me that the “SP3 file can’t be found. Uninstall failed”. I’ve tried uninstalling through Add/Remove Programs, using Ccleaner & Revo uninstaller, but with no luck. I’ve even turned my virus protection off and tried, but with the same results. The only thing I haven’t tried is uninstalling in Safe Mode.

If someone could help out here, I’d truly appreciate it.

Thanks,

John

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

I'd address the issues of the programs that don't run correctly though...you really want to keep your operating system up to date, especially if you go out on the internet.
    What programs don't run right, and what symptoms?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

During installation SP3 created a hidden file/folder that contains a backup of any files updated by SP3. These files are needed to uninstall SP3. If that folder was deleted you can't uninstall SP3. You're only other option may be to use system restore, but that may lead you back to your other problem. Windows update creates these backups too, look in the Windows folder for hidden $NT...........$ folders. There should be lots of them, the "tech" may have deleted them to free up some space on the hard drive.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

I'd address the issues of the programs that don't run correctly though...you really want to keep your operating system up to date, especially if you go out on the internet.
    What programs don't run right, and what symptoms?
    Hi YeOldeStonecat & The Dude,

In general, my data backup software: “ShadowProtect Desktop Edition”, isn’t working the way it should. It isn’t running as smooth as it had with SP2, and takes longer to make Full & Incremental backups. I have also noticed that my system is locking up more often with SP3 then it had with SP2, causing me to do hard shutdowns. Ctrl/Alt/Delete doesn’t even help in this matter. I have run indebt virus scans along with Malware scans and haven’t found anything unusual. For Autorun, no matter what I try it just doesn’t work for me. I have tried all suggestions I’ve found, from changing registry entries to going into TweakUI for XP and enabling auto run for my (D) drive, but with no luck. And for saving my passwords for certain sites, this site to name one, just doesn’t work for me with 3 as it had with 2.

I read the post from: “The Dude” and I agree with him. I think the tech I had taken my PC to installed 3, but apparently did it in a way that it can’t be uninstalled. Like I had said, a year ago I downloaded the file for SP3 and after installing it, I ran into the same problems that I’m facing now. But I was able to uninstall and revert back to SP2. I understand the security issues that can arise with certain updates, especially when you install a major update as SP3. Sometimes they help, and sometimes they hinder. The tech should have asked if I’d like SP3 installed, and I would have told him about the past problems I’ve had with it and to pass for now, but he didn’t. And it just isn’t my problem alone. I’ve Googled my situation and see where some have no issues with 3, where others have problems just like I do. I’ll just have to live with it and experiment, and try to work around my situation.

Thanks for replying and trying to help, guys.

John

What motherboard is the system based on....perhaps you need to update the BIOS, and install the latest motherboard/chipset INF drivers. I use StorageCrafts backup software on lots of systems...including even just Windows XP desktops......out of the thousands of XP rigs I work with, non are still on SP2. It is standard for techs for run all updates on systems that are worked on.
    Do you have the latest ShadowProtect client installed?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Sometimes it depends on how and when SP3 is installed. If SP3 is installed right away, after a clean install and before doing any other updates, you have a better chance of a problem free install. Doing it latter on when you have already installed a lot or programs and already done a lot of windows updates will sometimes byte you. < pun intended When possible I do service packs first thing after a clean install.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

What motherboard is the system based on....perhaps you need to update the BIOS, and install the latest motherboard/chipset INF drivers. I use StorageCrafts backup software on lots of systems...including even just Windows XP desktops......out of the thousands of XP rigs I work with, non are still on SP2. It is standard for techs for run all updates on systems that are worked on.

My motherboard is Jetway: Model M26GT3-SVP with an nVidia GeForce NF6100-405 chipset. I don’t think it’s a name brand. In fact when I run specs with certain programs, I get: “Motherboard unknown”.

I’ve never had the BIOS updated and with this board, I’m probably better to leave it alone. Who knows, it might explode!

ShadowProtect seems to be more responsive now. It’s a great program with many features, for the novice to the experienced. And with H.I.R. ability, it gives you a little more peace of mind knowing that if your Hard Drive or motherboard dies, that you have the option of doing a “Hardware Independent Restore”. To be truthful, I don't understand the last part of your question: "Do you have the latest ShadowProtect client installed"? What is that?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    To be truthful, I don't understand the last part of your question: "Do you have the latest ShadowProtect client installed"? What is that?

John
    The latest version. Looking at their website now, version 4.2.5.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The latest version. Looking at their website now, version 4.2.5.
    Thanks, friend. I thought you were talking about the latest version, but wasn’t for sure. I’ll go and download it now.

YeOldeStonecat,

I have a question a little off the topic of this thread. Maybe you could help?

You had mentioned that you also use “ShadowProtect” backup software. Not knowing what version you use: “Desktop, Server, Small Business Server” etc., how long does it take you to make an incremental backup to the original? I know that an Incremental backup is basically a chain that you are creating to the original full backup, but with the different changes made to your system. And that the size of the I.B. does play a part, but my I.B. are taken far to long. A small I.B. of say 480 MB, takes as long as the full backup that was 51 GB in size. But to verify the Incremental Image, only about 45 seconds.

I’ve contacted Storage Craft support and they’ve been trying to help, far more then other support groups that I have with other products. But their suggestions to date haven’t helped in increasing speed for me on a small Incremental. Outside of yourself, I haven’t come across anyone that uses this product, and I figure maybe you could shed some light on the matter that could help me. By the way, I did download the new version you mentioned: 4.2.5 and tried doing a new incremental. "Size: 380 MB! Successful, Yes! Valid, Yes! Time to complete: 49 minutes”!

Thanks for your time, friend.

John