Thread: V7 questions

V7 questions

Finally got my GTX 460 up and running.

Installed V7.

Smp is running fine, running on a dual core Athlon 4400. 350 point wu taking about 24 hours. Whatever.

The gpu client is running project 7643 for 7718 points, but it's running so slowly it'll time out before it's due.

Deadline is 18 days, it's been running 24 hours and it's 6.02 percent done, estimated another 25.24 days.

What the hell? I thought gpu units were supposed to crank out a bit more quickly.

It running slower than a dead person .... never mind, it's running very slowly.

This card is supposed to be good for 8-12 ppd and this is going to see a fraction of that.

Still trying to find an XP widget that'll show gpu usage.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Set the processor affinity on the SMP WU to use just 1 core. The GPU client needs some CPU power as well, and your SMP client might be smothering it.

If the GPU picks up speed then that was the issue. Depending on how much CPU power the GPU client needs, you may want to run a uniprocessor CPU client or run SMP at less than 100%.

Update?

No luck.
    Uninstalled the SMP client.

Gpu went back to doing fine, a frame every 10 minutes or so. Second night in a row it slowed down after a few hours to a frame every 2.5 to 3 hours.
    No errors in the log.
    Not crashing, just slowing to a crawl.

Power management is set for everything to stay on, screensaver disabled.

Installed gpu-z and afterburner to see what the gpu clock is doing.
    best guess it's slowing down to 2D clock speeds for some reason, but not sure how to keep it from doing so.

Temps are staying right around 60C-61C

very annoying

Make sure the nvidia control panel is set to max performance too, otherwise it will downclock the card when you go idle to save power/lower heat. Should be in the 3D settings global section.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Make sure the nvidia control panel is set to max performance too, otherwise it will downclock the card when you go idle to save power/lower heat. Should be in the 3D settings global section.
    Read that in several threads but that option doesn't seem to be available in the 296.10 drivers I have.

Under "Manage 3D settings/ Global" it does not have a power management setting.

Note: This control is available only on Windows Vista and later Windows operating systems.

Got some good tips here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERAgoln1dLQ

But the customize at 2:32 is not present on my system.
    It says "forceware detected" but there is no customize option.

Ah ya you're XP. In XP's power management section did you set it to performance?

Also do you leave a web browser open on it? Viewing pages with flash can slow the card down as it may revert to 2D clock speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Ah ya you're XP. In XP's power management section did you set it to performance?

Also do you leave a web browser open on it? Viewing pages with flash can slow the card down as it may revert to 2D clock speeds.
    I have the power options/power schemes set to Always On. Is there something else?

I think I got the 3D forced on w/ Riva Tuner. No problems in the past 12 hours.

If that solves it I want to try another client (posted about this at the f@h forums).
    Do you think this system could handle it or that another client would bog down the gpu client?

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, Gigabyte GTX 460 v2, Asus A8R32-MVP, XP Pro SP3, 2 GB PC3200

What's the difference between running the SMP on a single core, or running the cpu client?

SMP on a single core would be horrible. Could end up with EUE errors or just take way too long to finish. Run the CPU client as well if you like, should be fine, but ya you cant do SMP on that now, prob slow for SMP units anyway.

I think for the summer I will either stop GPU folding or slow down a bunch at least, hell it might hit 90 today.

Fat Dogs on the move!