Thread: Incoming FAX to emial?

Incoming FAX to emial?

Howdy, gents.

As the title implies, I am looking for a software solution to receive incoming FAXes and forward them to an email address automatically.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

*Edit: Forgot to add that there is no need for outgoing FAX capability. That can already be done from the satellite offices. There is a sevrer sitting right next to the FAX machine, and rather than paying for a subscription FAX service I thought it useful if it (the server) could receive incoming documents and email them to the front desk rather than folks having to get up and walk down the street to the offsite lab (where the FAX machine is).
    Last edited by Faust; 04-06-12 at 09:34 AM.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Look at it this way.....
    *What's the montly fee from the phone company for a dedicated fax line to connect a US Courier Fax modem to...to be able to receive faxes and then have them e-mailed to an address with some local fax software (that you'll pay money for) connected to a computer...that you have to troubleshoot every couple of months...
    *A monthly subscription to a service like eFax...14 bucks per month.

...yeah...eFax wins. I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there..but that's the one I have experience with and it works well. We use it at home for my wifes real estate biz.

Alternative...since you mentioned "server"...if you're using Microsoft Small Business Server..this is already included in it.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

'Sup, Chief? Been awhile!

I do agree with the rationale, but my SO (Senior Officer, not Significant Other, funny guy ) keeps mentioning the lack of nickels to rub together. When it comes to incurred cost (POTS link to the existing FAX machine, T1 WAN, etc.,.), the company is contractually bound to these for the next 18 months so the expendature will be there one way or the other. The "server" is a VERY lightweight box (albeit an actual Poweredge) I had originally set up to run Astaro for when the offices were where the lab is now. I dropped in an old USR dialup FAX/modem to make it useful. Since we are unable to port the FAX# across the street as it's a completely different carrier servicing that area, and the owner wants to keep that # to avoid confusion or potential lost sales orders from old customers, we are married to that location in terms of incoming FAXes.

Anyways, I'm babbling. In your experience is the 3rd party FAX forwarding software that buggy? I know that entirely depends on the title, but i mean in general. As much as I would like to make this work(making the most of what you have, the small business mantra), I could not give the nod to something that would end up in a lost potential P.O. The physical FAX machine we have only misses when it's out of paper, and even then it caches them.

Also, I do not have MS SBS I could roll out. Know offhand if Server 2003 R2 or 2008 (forget which version I have a legit copy/key for) have this native function?

Help a lazy bruthah out! . All kidding aside, I appreciate your input, bud.

- Leo Szilard

Blog Entries
    Hey Hi.

Right Fax server.. This software, transmits fax from exchange or software client out, or incoming faxes to email inbound.
    Used to be own by Captaris. Looks like it was acquired by another company.

http://faxsolutions.opentext.com/rig...ax-server.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    Hey Hi.

Right Fax server.. This software, transmits fax from exchange or software client out, or incoming faxes to email inbound.
    Used to be own by Captaris. Looks like it was acquired by another company.

http://faxsolutions.opentext.com/rig...ax-server.aspx
    Much appreciated, bud. Will give that a look. Hopefully there's a demo/trial. As long as it's stable and reliable that looks like a winner.

Cheers!

- Leo Szilard

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Also, I do not have MS SBS I could roll out. Know offhand if Server 2003 R2 or 2008 (forget which version I have a legit copy/key for) have this native function?

I don't believe the native fax service of vanilla Server has the ability to send to e-mail, without having Exchange on it (like SBS fax one does).
    The only software fax client I've spend some time with is WinFax Pro back in the day. They retired that thing a long time ago.
    GFI has a fax package...and they're a good company.
    http://www.gfi.com/fax-server-softwa...loc=8#features

Else....most of my clients have moved to hardware based fax solutions that receive and send to e-mail boxes or SMB shares...products like Canon ImageRunners...perhaps the box would be interested on one of those due to the other benefits.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Gracias for the followup, 'Cat.

To be frank, the budget I have put in place for a "make use of what you have on-hand" solution for this is $100. Beyond that I would recommend a service. Would just take too long to recoup the upfront costs, even though I'm a control freak and it would bug me every time we paid the monthly. We deal with maybe a dozen daily FAX'd P.O.'s. Everything else comes over plain ol' voice or site.

I'll give GFI a look-see. I have since found 2 apps coded out of Korea (time to fire up MS Network Monitor) and one out of TX, all falling under my cap. Outside that, I'll just recommend a monthly cost solution and move on to my next conquest.

- Leo Szilard