Thread: frustrating dsl problem

frustrating dsl problem

my 1 Mbps dsl connection was doing great until last Sunday afternoon , the internet disconnected for like 10-20 minutes then it came back , that is when my trouble began , i started having terrible bandwidth with any video stream fluctuating between ,9 and ,4 and it get worse at 10-12 am then magically at 1:30am it get fixed . on the next day the internet is fine until sometime after 2 pm , the internet bandwidth hit the gutter again , i called the customer support time over time with no use they just ask me to turn off and on my router and ask me if it is fixed which proved useless , the issue is when i test my bandwidth at websites like speedtest.net i get like ,8 ,9 while my video stream is ,8 at best and fluctuate really bad , is it possible that someone stole my dsl line?? could my dsl line got damaged when they installed another dsl line at the phone company ? is it possible that im sharing my bandwidth with other people?? and why my line deteriorate between 2pm and 1:30am ? could it mean something?

You would be sharing your ISP's services with other customers, hence you will see slower speeds around peak hour times, which is usually in the afternoon/night as people get home from work etc. This is usually caused by an ISP over-subscribing customers.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pettos View Post
    You would be sharing your ISP's services with other customers, hence you will see slower speeds around peak hour times, which is usually in the afternoon/night as people get home from work etc. This is usually caused by an ISP over-subscribing customers.

Cheers.
    i thought only cable internet does this. dsl is single phoneline per customer. i could be wrong.
    i have the same problem here and i think i got cheated by at&t dsl internet service. i'm paying for 1.5Mbps dl and 128Kbps ul package and i'm only get 58Kbps dl 38Kbps ul when running broadband speedtest. it's been over a year and my max dl speed is 58Kbps. any suggestion? I stop using dialup a long time ago lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pettos View Post

Cheers.
    BS. That is usually only the case when you have cable as everyone on the node "shares" bandwidth and the ISP saturates the node. I would have your ISP check the line and if you have a wireless router make sure it is secured (someone might be stealing bandwidth).

Quote Originally Posted by catngo View Post
    i thought only cable internet does this. dsl is single phoneline per customer. i could be wrong.
    i have the same problem here and i think i got cheated by at&t dsl internet service. i'm paying for 1.5Mbps dl and 128Kbps ul package and i'm only get 58Kbps dl 38Kbps ul when running broadband speedtest. it's been over a year and my max dl speed is 58Kbps. any suggestion? I stop using dialup a long time ago lol
    what is the sync rate on the dsl modem? what type of modem is it? If the line is at the full 1536/384 sync rate you should be getting in the neighborhood of 1.1-1.3Mbps down and .32-.35kbps upstream. However, if you are not in sync at the full speed, these numbers change a bit. if 58kbps is the highest you get my guess would be you are probably on the basic 768/384 tier, or as least your downstream is that low for sure.
    Last edited by idavid4attdsl; 04-24-12 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Added more info