Thread: Networking 20 Media Players with 1 Router and 3 Switches

Cool Networking 20 Media Players with 1 Router and 3 Switches

Hi,
    Id like to set up a network with 20 media players streaming internet audio. Everything will be wired so there should be minimum data loss. If I use any cheap router with 4 ports like this, 1 port can handle 100Mbps and with this switch with maximum 200Mbps with 8 ports, one terminal will get 12.5Mbps (100/8 = 12.5). Now, the screaming data is 96Kbps, so 12.5Mbps should be more than enough. But I want to make sure all 20 terminals get streaming without any interruption what so ever. I know specifications dont tell real-world performances but I can think this should be a safe bet?

Thank you.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I'd get a better router..that think will probably stumble with more than 4 workstations behind it. You'll want a good router with a fast processor and a good amount of RAM in it so it can handle many concurrent sessions
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Oh, never thought about RAM on a router. That means I'd better go with a commercial/industrial router? Maybe something like this? Or any suggestion?

And I forgot to mention the internet speed. I will get 7Mbps DSL. 7000/20 = 350Kbps and which is well above 96Kbps required for each streaming but want to know if it will work in real world. Thanks.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The RV016 was a great router...as well as its smaller siblings..the RV082 and the RV042...I've installed hundreds of them.
    However..they are nearing end of life. There are newer models, such as the entry level RV120W and the brutally fast RV220W.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thank you for the suggestion. But nowadays, those ISPs like bell provide a modem/router (a single unit) right? What if their modem/router is not good enough for this job? One of the higher end routers, can handle the work still?