Thread: Windows NAT routing software

Windows NAT routing software

I have two adapters on my machine to which I'd like to share internet, but Windows' builtin ICS can only share to one at a time. I checked this site's recommendation but the Sygate solution it recommends is outdated was swallowed up by Symantec and should really be removed from the page. I managed to get Kerio Control working but it was a huge CPU hog. I then tried a freeware called RusRoute which I completly failed to configure properly and killed my internet. The worst part is that the admin of the site made it horribly difficult to get an account activated for the forums, and so I can't ask him any questions so I was forced to drop that one as well.

Could anyone recommend me some NAT routing software for Windows? Alternatively, if anyone ever got RusRoute working, maybe you could help me with that? Thank you in advance.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Honestly....software internet connection sharing in Windows is awful, stay away from it. Get a router that does the job...on it's own processor. Or better yet..try some of the linux firewall distros I have mentioned in a sticky thread.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Honestly....software internet connection sharing in Windows is awful, stay away from it. Get a router that does the job...on it's own processor. Or better yet..try some of the linux firewall distros I have mentioned in a sticky thread.
    I would rather avoid a physical device, and I won't run a separate OS from inside a virtual machine just to get some NATting done! And I know ICS is awful. If the source adapter is physically disconnected and reconnected, I lose all internet access until I disable and re-enable ICS.

Why avoid a physical device (unless it is a $$$ situation)? Handles traffic MUCH better than a software solution. Just a suggestion.

I CANNOT under any possible circumstances use a physical device. Now I've seen several solutions online for NATting from inside Windows using a software. Given that these softwares exist, would it PLEASE be so hard as to recommend me one?

Bummer you're stuck with a software approach that has to be hosted on a Windows PC.
    So does this PC have 3x NICs? I'm trying to visualize the setup...1x ethernet device to the internet connection (hopefully behind a router so you're protected behind NAT)...(but..if you're behind a router..there's your path). You do not want to have Windows sitting directly on a public IP address...yikes....bad bad bad.

But back to your setup..guessing 3x NICs? 1x for broadband connection...and 2x LAN side NICs? Doing different subnets....feeding 2x different networks? I can't think of a good way to do this with Windows...nor can I recommend a way to do this with Windows..I'd want to install a *nix distro to do it.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I got it working properly with Kerio and I'm wondering if any other windows-based corporate firewalls could do the job. But most of all, I'm wondering if they all impact performance this badly. The 2.7Ghz dual core shot up to 100% for a mere 25Mbps transfer.

Using Windows desktops for some ICS computer is CPU intensive. And on top of that...if you're using that computer as a desktop....running some application on it..and you yourself are demanding CPU cycles running this application, people trying to use your computer as their router to the internet will REALLY suffer....might as well put a dial up modem in those poor peoples computers.

The only "windows internet sharing" program I've recommended and installed myself...was back years ago with Windows ISA Server...which was a full blown dedicated server product with a heavy duty firewall. But even that product..I'd not use anymore....I don't put Windows boxes on public IP addresses. I don't feel like formatting and reinstalling on a monthly basis because of it being hacked into.
    Guinness for Strength!!!