Thread: Very high latency

SG Enthusiast

Arrow Very high latency

I've got a 40/20Mbps VDSL2 service from Centurylink. For the first 8 months my ping was 60ms on average when gaming. Now it's 60ms early in the day and slowly creeps up starting around 5PM to 200-300+. This is a newer DSLAM that fired up 8 months ago, I know the overall usage has to be low.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58342690.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	821

I've replaced the modem, cut the port, switched gateway/cut port and cut the copper pair (only 1050' from the DSLAM).

D U
    SNR: 14 dB 22 dB
    Attenuation: 15 dB 5 dB
    Power: 14.1 dBm 10.6 dBm

During the day with my ping is 60ms my SNRs will be right around 30 with almost 0 attenuation.

SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 2012.03.05 21:40
    IP address: 174.29.xx.xx
    Client OS/browser: Windows 7 (Chrome 17.0.963.65)

TCP options string: 020405ac0103030801010402
    MSS: 1452
    MTU: 1492
    TCP Window: 66560 (NOT multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 8 bits (2^8=256)
    Unscaled RWIN : 260
    Recommended RWINs: 63888, 127776, 255552, 511104, 1022208
    BDP limit (200ms): 2662kbps (333KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 1065kbps (133KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 56
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

Any ideas? Gaming is horrible, at times i'd be better off with dial-up.
    Last edited by Broadsword; 03-05-12 at 11:38 PM.

Hello Broadsword,
    We can help.
    Please send us your account info, address to TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com and we can escalate this internally.
    Regards,
    Steve @CenturyLinkHelp Team

Quote Originally Posted by CenturyLinkHelp View Post
    Hello Broadsword,
    We can help.
    Please send us your account info, address to TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com and we can escalate this internally.
    Regards,
    Steve @CenturyLinkHelp Team
    How can you help? Most likely give the user the runaround on what to do. Sounds like an issue on your end.

SG Enthusiast
    I've yet to call Tech Support, not sure why, guess I figured they wouldn't come up with anything and they're closed when the problems start to occur. Maybe they can start a 24/7 monitor? I have off tomorrow and will let you guys know if they find anything.
    Last edited by Broadsword; 03-06-12 at 09:30 PM.

SG Enthusiast
    Ok, so I talked to Tier 3 and they said they do see 90%+ usage of the gateway starting around 4 PM and it's getting as high as 98%.

I know there are a solid 100 spare ports left for customers, so I'm assuming it's not due to over crowding but due to CenturyLinks uncapped services. I've downloaded and uploaded over 400GB in a single month before, I'm guessing the rest are doing the same.

They said engineering was notified and they'll be adding another gateway soon. Right now I've got good speeds: and my numbers are all excellent, couldn't get any better.

My usual ping test is to CMD ping www.google.com and i've got a solid 60ms with 0 packets loss, 4-5PM on and it's 280+.

My download will go from 37Mbps/18Mbps to 3/2 during the 5-2AM time period. Hopefully they get that new gateway fired up soon!

SG Enthusiast
    Forgot to update, but they sorted it out about 7 days after I made a call. They just had to fire up another shelf and it alleviated the usage. Did another 600GB this month without a problem and gaming is a solid 60ms constantly, couldn't be happier.

ok first of all Reset all Modem and or gateway to factory defaults GET CENTURY LINK OUT THERE!!!!!! to see if there is any signal issues then Go to all computers and Reset those NETSH COMMANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please go to Start *windows 7 click the orb* type in the search box CMD let it load run as ADMINistrator then type these commands in please

netsh int ip reset
    netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset arpcache reboot all computers Reset router to factory defaults Also

Please scan for viruses spyware adware
    www.malwarebytes.com www.spybot.com Install and run those programs do not interrupt them then if you have internet security update it NOW!!!!! then scan if you dont i suggest Comodo internet security premium install run and update let it scan if it find anything
    also i reccomend doing this

GO to start My Computer *if under windows 7 DO NOT DO THIS UNDER XP...
    h
    Go to start my comptuer right click click Porperties on the right click Advanced system settings then click hardware then click DEVICE MANGER once it loads click network adaptors DO NOT uninstall the software if it says .. Click uninstall it will erase all settings on the eternet adaptor and windows 7 will automaticlly reinstall the driver as soon as you reboot the pc If this does not Work get their butts out there to see why the heck oyu are getting those high pings!!!!!!!!! if they find signal level issues then its most likley there problem Also ask for New Eternet cords that is always a plus there thats as good as i can give you as advice but Seriously get SOMEONE OUT THERE TO YOUR HOUES/APARTMENT!!!!!!!

ok cool thought id help though :P