Thread: Repeating Modes

Repeating Modes

Hi all,

Google hasn't been much help, but maybe I just don't know exactly what it is I'm looking for. I have a somewhat complicated setup that I'm having trouble with, and the different repeater modes are really confusing me. I have three routers: an Asus RT-N16, Linksys E3000, and a Verizon Actiontec (I don't know the model number but I can get it if it becomes relevant). The two non-Verizon routers are both running dd-wrt big.

Basically, I have the RT-N16 as the main router, connected to the Verizon ONT in the basement. The problem is, most of the wireless clients are upstairs, meaning the signal is pretty poor. I also, however, have some wired clients upstairs that I'd like to connect.

What I'm trying to do is connect the E3000 (via ethernet) to the RT-N16, but also have it extend the wireless range of the RT-N16. From my understanding of the readings on this site, I should be trying Repeater Bridge mode--is this correct?

The problem is that this mode cuts the bandwidth in half, which could be a problem for the wireless-n media devices upstairs streaming videos. Can this be alleviated by the E3000's dual bands? Is there no way to repeat a wireless signal, but have it communicate with the original router over wired connection? I wanted to try to use the RT-N16 downstairs as G-only, as it has better range and I don't have any wireless streaming devices downstairs, so it's fine for internet access. Then I wanted the E3000 and both its N-bands upstairs for the streaming ability.

I suppose I could give the E3000 it's own wireless network, and have upstairs devices connect to that, while downstairs devices connect to the RT-N16, but I figured I would check here first. The Verizon router only really needs to be a client on the network in order for me to get VOD and guide listings, but I was going to use it for extra wireless if possible (and it doesn't seem like it is).

Thanks for any and all input guys.

PS, if it helps any: The RT-N16 is on the 192.168.0.1 gateway, with the Verizon and E3000 routers connected on 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3, respectively.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    If you have it connected to the RT16 via ethernet..hopefully via a LAN port of each, DHCP disabled on the e3000...just have it do the same SSID but a different channel. Although I'd want the e3000 at the edge...it's faster than the RT16.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!