Thread: CABLE MODEM - Which one should I buy?

Hybrid View

CABLE MODEM - Which one should I buy?

I am in the process of switching from AT&T DSL to Charter Cable and need to purchase a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.

Charter want to shaft me and charge me $10/month to "lease" a modem, when it makes more sense to buy one. The question is, what modem should I buy?

I am looking at the Charter "Plus" package which has speeds of 30Mbps/4Mbps.

I already have a router for my wireless and home network connectivity so all I need is a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant cable modem.

Suggestions, recommendations?

Cheers

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Motorola Surfboard 6120/6121 modem...it's a pure modem...since you already have your own wireless router. The 6580 is a combo modem/router....note the word "gateway". You'd have to go in and disable its routing and wireless features....if you wanted to use your own router...but then..why not save 60 bucks and just get the 6120.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Why not just get what I suggested so there isn't any extra equipment in the loop? The unit is well worth the extra $$$ anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Why not just get what I suggested so there isn't any extra equipment in the loop? The unit is well worth the extra $$$ anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by AussiePaul View Post
    The question is, what modem should I buy?
    I already have a router for my wireless and home network connectivity so all I need is a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant cable modem.
    The OP asked for a modem, not a gateway. If one is going to suggest a completely different piece of network equipment, one should state that it is different than what the OP is asking for...and provide reasons why. What if he ran off and bought that model..and set it up in front of his own router...ended up with a double NAT situation, and who knows what else for problems? After hours of scratching his head wondering why something is wrong..to find out that it's a combo modem/router..have to make a trip back to the store to return it.

The wireless on the motorola's is "OK", the routers feature list is quite bland...but chances are if the OP has a relatively newer router already..it will blow away the Motorola in performance and features.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I have been following this site for some time and have learned a lot reading Stonecat's excellent replies. Well written, concise and to the point. Also appreciate his restraint which is admirable, although provoked from time to time.
    Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    The OP asked for a modem, not a gateway. If one is going to suggest a completely different piece of network equipment, one should state that it is different than what the OP is asking for...and provide reasons why. What if he ran off and bought that model..and set it up in front of his own router...ended up with a double NAT situation, and who knows what else for problems? After hours of scratching his head wondering why something is wrong..to find out that it's a combo modem/router..have to make a trip back to the store to return it.

The wireless on the motorola's is "OK", the routers feature list is quite bland...but chances are if the OP has a relatively newer router already..it will blow away the Motorola in performance and features.
    Thanks for noting some of the finer details YeOldeStonecat, I wasn't aware of the double NAT situation as my networking experience is limited to setting up a basic network at home.

In your opinion, does it make sense for me to use the SBG6580 (disabling its routing and wireless) with my WRT610N or would you opt for a modem only to use with the WRT610N, or get rid of the WRT610N and just use the SBG6580 by itself?

Thanks for the info guys. I currently have a Linksys WRT610N router that I use with my DSL modem/connection and was only after a modem. However I did find a brand new still in the box Motorola SBG6580 on Craigslist that I got for $80.

I figured that I would grab it anyway and then figure out if it will work with the WRT610N or assess my options with using the SBG6580 as my router and not the WRT610N or somehow just use the SBG6580 it for the modem function (if possible) with the WRT610N.

Anything I need to know or look out for or suggestions on what configuration network I should use?

^ I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    ^ I rest my case.
    How does that rest your case? Prepare for the confusion of double routers!
    Brand new modem..86 bucks...used router that you're not going to use the routing features and try to disable it..and who knows how long it will last or if the previous owner had it plugged into a little battery UPS to increase its lifespan.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Prepare for the confusion of double routers!

The wrt610n without a doubt...it was a flagship model just a couple of years ago, VERY fast, one of the most powerful dual band radios released on the market. I have the direct replacement of that router at home...the e3000. Identical hardware..they just changed the name to match the new naming convention.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Uh, he bought the SBG6580. I had that unit (up until recently) and NEVER had an issue.

I just read that the SBG6580 is not that great for VoIP. I think I will set it to "bridged mode" and maintain my WRT610N.

Just to follow up with how I went with the SBG6580......

Well, what a pain in the butt it was trying to set the SURFboard to "bridged" mode to only use the modem functions. After reading numerous posts on the web on how to do it I could never get my router to maintain a connection through the SURFboard. I even purchased another SURFboard from Best Buy in the event that the one I had was faulty, nope, same deal.

I could have just pulled my LInksys router out of the equation, but I really like it so I ended up going back o Best Buy and grabbing a ZOOM DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem that has been flawless in working with my WRT610N.

Thanks for the help and suggestion guys, I really appreciate it. Sometimes you just have to try something to figure out whether it will or will not work for your situation.