Thread: how do i transfer .cfg file to my modem.

how do i transfer .cfg file to my modem.

Well to make a long story short im going to college to learn networking and ive been having trouble sending my config file to my modem so i can sync it. While im trying to do this i have the coax cable unscrewed from the back of the modem, leaving the Ethernet cord and power both plugged in so that its just connected through my computer I then go to telnet to tftp the .cfg file to the modem hoping that the modem syncs, but i haven't had any luck...what am i doing wrong. yes all my firewalls are disabled when i send files back and forth, im also using windows 7 and i have a Ubee modem.

Seriously? If you can't figure this situation out I would change your major.

LOL..im just taking my basics right now i havent took any classes regarding networking at all i believe i still have alot of knowledge in the basics of it...but i have a TON to learn and thats why i came to this site, if you cant help me out can you point me to someone who can. now ive transferred the file to the modem and yes it successfully sends the file to the modem but for some reason its not syncing with the file i sent from my computer, and yes it is my config file from my ISP and this is for educational purposes only so i can further my learning. Thanks for your time.

You should be able to update it from the web interface. Not sure if this is updateable though. Is a modem that has been issued from your ISP?

Yes i have a modem from my ISP which is a Ubee and as to my current knowledge i cant update my config that way. i also have a Motorola sb5101u that im not currently using. The thing that im not getting is why the modem dont sync when i send it the file. do i have to convert the .cfg file to a different format maybe because as soon as i hook up the coax cable the modem syncs just fine so im not doing something right on my end. i opened up a docsis editor to check my caps (which are fine) and i save the file a .cfg extension changing nothing other than the files extension. i just want to learn how to manually tell the modem to boot from the file from my computer not the ISP tftp server.

thanks

If it is an ISP provided modem you can't change the firmware. I would suggest that you quit screwing around before your ISP cuts you off.

well im now using my modem that i bought.they can not cut me off because i haven't done anything illegal i haven't modified the any file that i retrieved. im just learning how this all works. i get no option on my modems page to change any firmware im not looking to flash my modem cause i dont want to mod my modem in anyway, just want to know how to manually sync the modem myself.
    Last edited by ScarOptics; 12-13-11 at 07:04 PM.

Your ISP "pushes" the configuration. If you try to do it yourself you run the risk of getting disconnected from your ISP.

If its the same config file though..nothing is wrong with doing that....oh well i been using the tftp cmd in cmd prompt. Ive sent the file to the ISP tftp server with the file but it comes back saying access violation:Write access not enabled.....or something like that.