Thread: Wireless control of a remote computer

Wireless control of a remote computer

I am trying to access a remote laptop using wireless so that I can remotely run programs.
    This is my current setup:
    Dell precision laptop running windows 7 and a Toshiba laptop running Windows XP SP3. Both have wireless capabilities.
    I am a sound engineer and what I would like to do is run programs on my remote laptop (Toshiba) from my Dell laptop. The remote laptop (Toshiba)
    would be placed near the stage and the Dell laptop would be at the sound console. (Usually no more than 100' apart.) There is some hardware that would be connected to the remote (Toshiba) laptop that I would like to control from my Dell laptop. What I would like to do is access the
    remote laptop and run the programs on the remote laptop from my Dell laptop wireless. This would eliminate me having to run back and forth to the
    stage (remote laptop) to make adjustments to the sound system. My thought was that I could connect a wireless router to the remote laptop
    and access the remote laptop from my Dell laptop and run the programs on the remote. I do not want to do this across the internet as many of
    the locations I am at may not have any internet access.
    If anybody could assist me in how I could accomplish this, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jan

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yes a wireless router would allow you to accomplish that....even though it will not have a WAN (internet) connection, the wireless router will still manage the IP scheme of any computers connected to it..so they'll technically be on the same network. I'd do what's called a DHCP reservation to at least your host PC...so that it gets the same IP address all the time and you can call up that IP address. Ensure remote desktop is allowed through the Windows firewall of the host.

Assuming your host PC will have a version of Windows that has built in remote desktop host (like..Windows XP Pro, or Windows 7 Pro)...(not "home" version)

If not...can try something 3rd party (and free) like UltraVNC.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Smile

hi

As YeOldeStonecat said try some other freeware software.i tried mingleview where screen quality was good and can connect multiple session in single time.hope this helps...

Remote Desktop Sharing

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fcpsound View Post
    I am trying to access a remote laptop using wireless so that I can remotely run programs.
    I do not want to do this across the internet as many of
    the locations I am at may not have any internet access
    No internet makes LMI tough. He needs a non-internet based setup.
    If internet was avail, I'd recommend Windows Live Mesh...for it's sheer speed.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!