Thread: Router drops download speed to 10%

Unhappy Router drops download speed to 10%

I have Comcast (Xfinity) cable and if I plug directly to the modem I get download speeds of 20 Mb/s. When I am plugged into my router (wired), my speed drops to 2.1 Mb/s. My router is a Cisco Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router (Model WRT310N V2).

I have another desktop that I connect to the network with wirelessly, but the tests have been conducted with that computer shutdown...if that matters in any way.

I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue, thank you!

I contacted Linksys through their Live Chat feature and got the problem fixed. I do not know exactly what the issue is but I can state some of the things that we did. Prior to the chat, there was no security enabled. She assisted me in setting up a WPA Personal network and from there we created a network name and password. Once that was done, my speeds shot up to where they were when the computer was connected directly to the modem

I'm having the exact same problem

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I've tried what seems like everything. I'm running a Netgear N router with comcast xfinity. I've tried another router and I have the same problem. I've already set up WAP security as well.

If you can help....thank you.

All I can tell you is that she had me set up the router security with WPA Personal. First, she had me go into the router thru the address bar on the browser. It was 192.168.1.1 for a Linksys router, but a Google search will tell you what the address is for your Netgear router. Once logged in, she had me click the Wireless tab and switch it from WiFi to Manual. She had me erase the existing Network that had been named Linksys and had me create a new one. She had me set Channel to 9 and save it. Then in the Wireless Security Tab in the Wireless section she had me select WPA Personal. Next in WPA Shared Key or Passphrase, she had me type in a new password (at least 8 characters, case sensitive) and Save. That was it.

On my laptop (Windows XP and Vista) I had to choose WPA-PSK (Personal) and TKIP in order to select my new network and enter my new password.

I hope some of this helps. I don't know anything about this stuff, I just relayed her what we did in the chat with the tech rep from Linksys that I have a copy of.

Post your results, I'm curious if it helps or not.

From memory factory settings for routers are 192.168.0.1

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Pettos View Post
    From memory factory settings for routers are 192.168.0.1
    Depends on the brand....
    Probably over 50% of brands for home grade routers are 192.168.1.1 on their default LAN IP (common for Linksys) , many others are 192.168.0.1 (common for Netgear)
    But you'll also find many at 192.168.0.254 and 192.168.1.254, as well as 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.10.1....and even some other ranges.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Nice to know they keep it simple.

I have the same issue with comcast and a netgear N router, but it only effects the download speed of one of my computers and only when I connect via wifi (upload is unaffected). My other computer runs fine useing wifi. I have the WPA2-PSK (AES) security settings. The fact that the other computer runs fine on wifi rules out the router and the fact that the effected computer runs well on other wifi networks rules out the pc. . . I'm baffled
    Last edited by surfdawg; 02-24-11 at 02:22 PM. Reason: UPDATE

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Is there a wan duplex setting ont those netgear if so play around with it set to 100 or 10 ,or 10/100.

I would use wpa aes for the wirless less overhead if i remember right.. Check to see if the router has any firmware upadates..
    Comptia a+ n+

I have the same problem. I have a very slow download speed and want to improve it.. any suggestions would greatly appreciated.
    Internet Speed Seeker

If you use the Belkin wireless routers setup guide that is provided via CD, you can have your Belkin N+ up and running in just 5 minutes. As with all wireless internet routers, it is best to place the router in a central location within your home or office. If you'd like to customize the configuration and settings, the online firmware interface is straightforward to use. From the interface, you can modify firewall settings and change the default data handling protocols. There are also tools available to monitor your daily data transfer.vibrating exercise machines