Thread: How to block other computer on home network?

How to block other computer on home network?

Hi guys,

I have 3 computers and a XBox 360 on my home network. On one of the computers I would like to prevent the other devices from connecting to it. I have blocked the IP addresses of the other computers and the XBox 360 in Outpost Firewall Pro. However, I keep getting a popup that the computers are trying to connect. I have tried to click on the popup to see if there is a way to stop it from showing for those particular connection. There is no way to do so. If I could I would like to completely seperate this computer from the others. Is there a service I can disable, or how would I go about this? I am using Windows 7 Home Premium x64. My ISP is Verizon DSL, and I am using a Netgear DGN2200 if that is needed. If there is any other info needed please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Rocky

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Unbind file and print sharing services, as well as client for MS. And disable netbios over IP in advanced TCP/IP properties. Are they all Win7? Unbind IP6 too.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Unbind file and print sharing services, as well as client for MS. And disable netbios over IP in advanced TCP/IP properties. Are they all Win7? Unbind IP6 too.
    I already had everything unchecked except for IP4. I am still noticing that the other computers on the network are trying to connect to me. Also what could I do about the Xbox 360 trying to connect to the computer when its on, or when I get my dish network dvr hooked up to the internet?

What I don't understand is when you use windows firewall you can prevent this by clicking on advanced sharing settings. Then by turning off network discovery and file and printer sharing. However, when windows firewall is disabled to use a 3rd party firewall those settings cannot be turned off. If you try to turn them off they enable windows firewall again. All the computers are running some form of windows 7. Thanks for your help.