Thread: Need help optimizing college campus connection

Need help optimizing college campus connection

Hello! I am currently attending college in Northern Kentucky, and I play an online mmorpg (Fantasy Earth Zero) that requires very low ping to have any fun playing. I downloaded and tried to use the TCP Optimizer, setting the speed to 11 Mbps, since when I used speedtest.net to test my download speed to LA in California (the game's server location) it gave me 11 Mbps, and during peak hours of internet usage in my dorm, when I check the status of the network connection, it labels the speed as 11.0 Mbps. (Whew! Sorry for the run-on sentence.)

Now, to play FEZ properly, I also know I NEED to disable Nagle's Algorithm (I think that's what it's called, the easiest way to disable it to download and run "Leatrix Latency Fix"). Now, when I used the TCP Optimizer's "optimize" function, it wanted to re-enable Nagle's Algorithm, so I applied the "optimized" settings, and then ran the Leatrix Latency Fix again to re-disable Nagle's Algorithm. Before I applied the TCP Optimizer, I was getting an average of 200 ping on my game with occasional spikes of about 1k ping. After applying the TCP Optimizer and re-running the Leatrix Latency Fix, my average ping was about 100. However, I was also getting ping spikes MUCH more frequently, and they were ranging from 1k-4k ping. So I tried what the TCP Optimizer wanted me to do and re-enable Nagle's Algorithm. (between all these changes I always restarted my computer like it wanted me to)

Now my average ping is 400 and I'm still getting occasional ping spikes too. What I've taken from this is that I MUST have Nagle's Algorithm disabled, regardless of what the TCP Optimizer tells me to use. Now, dear reader, you may be thinking to yourself "What does this have to do with me helping you?" Well, my answer is that I'm confident that the TCP Optimizer can help me without plaguing me with frequent high ping spikes by inputting a closer approximation to my internet's maximum bandwidth. However, since I'm on my college campus' internet, I have no way to "ask my ISP" what my maximum bandwidth--indeed, it may not be accurate to use even if I could, since the connection is shared with hundreds of other people.

What should I do? Is there any way to find my maximum bandwidth without asking my campus' ISP?

P.S.: during periods of relative inactivity in usage of my college campus' internet, the status window for my connection says the speed is "54.0 Mbps"--is this what I should be inputting into the TCP Optimizer?
    Last edited by That; 01-10-11 at 12:12 AM. Reason: remembered Leatrix Latency Fix isn't technically a program

Please post your tracert & TCP Analyzer
    Firefox Extreme Speed Edition

What makes you: "...waking up in the morning so excited about & wanna FLY out of the door ?"

Here's the TCP Analyzer.

SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 01.10.2011 14:34
    IP address: 66.161.xxx.xx
    Client OS: Windows 7

TCP options string: 020405b40103030201010402
    MSS: 1460
    MTU: 1500
    TCP Window: 17520 (multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 2 bits (2^2=4)
    Unscaled RWIN : 4380
    Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840
    BDP limit (200ms): 701kbps (88KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 280kbps (35KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 118
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

This is after I reverted to the settings I had before trying to use the TCP Optimizer (if it makes any difference).

As for the tracert, I'm not sure what you want me to do a tracert of, so I'll post a tracert I've done in command prompt of the game I play's server and one of yahoo.com (like it says to do in the guide in your siggy).

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mic>tracert yahoo.com

Tracing route to yahoo.com [67.195.160.76]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 10.241.48.1
    2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms ws-osr2-vl10.zoomtown.com [216.68.212.3]
    3 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms nhg-ft1.zoomtown.com [216.68.212.78]
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Mic>

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mic>tracert yahoo.com

Tracing route to yahoo.com [67.195.160.76]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 10.241.48.1
    2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms ws-osr2-vl10.zoomtown.com [216.68.212.3]
    3 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms nhg-ft1.zoomtown.com [216.68.212.78]
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Mic>

I'm guessing it's not normal to have it always time out after the 3rd hop? When I did these, I tried doing several tracert s to the same two locations and basically got the same results every time. I'm not having any trouble with browsing the web or anything right now, so I'm wondering if perhaps something is blocking the tracert s.

You may need to get your campus to open up ports...but even during peak usage unless they have a very very fast connection and having alot of students your going to see issues - remember there isn't but so much water you can suck out of a water hose

I think my campus does have a decently fast connection--how fast I'm not sure--but I know that it isn't garbage. If it means anything, I have the same ISP at my home as my college does (afaik, and my house is actually only 20 minutes' driving distance from my college and dorm), and with Nagle's Algorithm disabled for gaming purposes at home, I can't watch youtube videos at 720p or higher without waiting for them to buffer/load. However, using my college's internet, even with Nagle's Algorithm disabled, I can (except during 1 or 2 times that I experienced of peak usage) watch youtube videos without waiting for them to buffer/load at 720p or even 1080p if the overall usage is low. As for opening up ports, I don't think that's necessary (unless there's something I'm not understanding, which is very possible). The main reason I'm posting and asking for help is I want help figuring out what to put the maximum bandwidth bar at when using the TCP Optimizer.

Just for curiosity's sake though, what would having my campus opening up ports for me do that I can't do on my own? There's nothing I can't do internet-wise except play my mmorpg without optimum ping (I can still play it, I just don't get as good of a ping as I'm wanting), hence why I'm hoping that by getting the TCP Optimizer and you wonderful folks' help, that I can improve that.

Edit: after using my brain for a minute, I'm going to guess you're saying I should try and get some ports opened in order to get a complete tracert? If so, is it truly necessary to [help] find my max bandwidth/optimize my connection? I don't think that I'll be able to get any ports opened...
    Last edited by That; 01-10-11 at 04:51 PM.

Wow, I'm returning to this and I'm just now realizing I think I accidentally pasted the same tracert results twice (instead of the 2 different types of tracert s I performed). However, the results were still basically the same.

I'm still looking for answers, and would appreciate more responses.

(I hope nobody minds me double-post-bumping my own thread, I couldn't find a "bump thread" button that I've seen in other forums that appears for your own threads)

Well checking for ports for a certain game is essential to ensure your getting full use of the games potential bandwidth. Need a bit more information, can ya post me a hijackthis log? In your case with Windows 7 your not going to see a big difference if much at all using the TCP Optimizer since its all pretty much optimized to begin with!

Lets work on a few other things to start with such as whats on your computer... post a few speed tests also during various times one in the morning, noonish and peak times.. from www.speedtest.net

Will do, here are two speedtests--one for the "recommended" server and one for the speedtest server in LA (where the game I play's server is located).

Note: I'm finding these results strange. The 2nd result I posted was my 2nd test to that server right now, and the more I test it, the lower it goes (dropping by about 0.3-0.7 megabits each time until it reached about 1.4ish megabits). However, the result from the "recommended" test location I got is typical, and I usually get that same general result. Also, I've tested to the LA server and gotten over 11 megabits on a few repeated speedtests I ran about a week ago, idk the time though.

Edit: can I get some info on how to get a hijackthis log? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by That View Post
    Edit: can I get some info on how to get a hijackthis log? Thanks in advance.
    google hijackthis and download/run it.. its from trendmicro as for the tests well they look good your pinging 74 even over 1900miles! Find out the server IP# and do a tracert and ping test in command prompts and post them. If your having trouble copying and pasting from CMD just google that too

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You may be spending an incredible amount of time trying to do something that won't get better. Most school networks will have "traffic shaping" in place. This is a type of quality of service, and they set the high priority for what they deem (not surprisingly) to be the preferred type of traffic on their network and internet..."web surfing" for research. Other types of packets that cause lots of congestion and slow down networks tremendously...such as p2p/torrents and gaming...are put in a very low priority queue..so that web surfing traffic does not suffer.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    You may be spending an incredible amount of time trying to do something that won't get better. Most school networks will have "traffic shaping" in place. This is a type of quality of service, and they set the high priority for what they deem (not surprisingly) to be the preferred type of traffic on their network and internet..."web surfing" for research. Other types of packets that cause lots of congestion and slow down networks tremendously...such as p2p/torrents and gaming...are put in a very low priority queue..so that web surfing traffic does not suffer.
    This is true but at the end of the day the students still pay to go to school there and use the network anyway they need or wish to use it. I know from working in a school network environment that on the phone would be many complaining parents cause kids couldn't relax after they did their school work playing just a simple game...many would prefer this than binge drinking for example. From what I read this game doesn't require much either way, but yeah I believe your correct that they are "shaping" what is going through but it could be something he can explore and even contact the Tech Dept if something isn't wrong on his end to get some ports open or whatever released so he can play it.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    This is true but at the end of the day the students still pay to go to school there and use the network anyway they need or wish to use it. I know from working in a school network environment that on the phone would be many complaining parents cause kids couldn't relax after they did their school work playing just a simple game...many would prefer this than binge drinking for example. From what I read this game doesn't require much either way, but yeah I believe your correct that they are "shaping" what is going through but it could be something he can explore and even contact the Tech Dept if something isn't wrong on his end to get some ports open or whatever released so he can play it.
    There is no TOS with a school provided network...you get basic internet..and that's what you get. Calling up the IT guys and telling them to punch holes in the firewall just for you? LOL. Good luck with that...that's like asking the dorm chef to cook you a Porterhouse T-Bone steak along with a butter roasted lobster tail.....just for you....but the rest of your dorm mates get the rainbow ham and overcooked potatos for dorm supper.

If you need higher performing internet, you can often get your own installed.

Port forwarding (opening ports as you called it)...not related to traffic shaping, the traffic shaping is global on the network. It's not like the school runs on some little Stinksys or DStink home grade router and they can just log in and forward ports to him for some game.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    There is no TOS with a school provided network...you get basic internet..and that's what you get. Calling up the IT guys and telling them to punch holes in the firewall just for you? LOL. Good luck with that...that's like asking the dorm chef to cook you a Porterhouse T-Bone steak along with a butter roasted lobster tail.....just for you....but the rest of your dorm mates get the rainbow ham and overcooked potatos for dorm supper.
    Calling them up does work most certainly when your the parents of students that pay a large amount of money into the school - trust me it works I've seen it first hand World of Warcraft comes to mind for most students. Most schools don't have this problem as they already supply a nice amount of bandwidth to support even the highest amount of flash media since movie and show watching is a big priority too. I'd rather see a kid hang out and play a few games or watch a movie than get pissed at the connection speeds and go out drinking and I'm sure most other parents would also do the same.

As for opening ports or traffic shaping, I'm just throwing up references for what similar instances happen so he understands.

Please don't argue folks, I like my threads squeaky clean. D=
    (although I do like the info I've learned from reading the aforementioned posts, I prefer they not be so argumentative. [not so much you Sava700, you don't seem to be trying to be argumentative, I'm mainly aiming my comment at the other person])

On topic: thanks for the info on the hijackthis, I'll try and do that when I get the time, although I've been busy and my birthday is this week; I'll post as soon as I get it done.

Just popping in to show another set of speedtests done at 5:50 P.M.

Very interesting speed test results... The upload is damn good, the download on the first test was horrible compared to the 2nd test over 1900miles away. Pings look good either way but even still both results should be enough to sustain a steady connection to any game server. I wonder if your having packet loss issues. I await that hijackthis log to see what is the next step.

FYI, "I wonder if your having packet loss issues." is, imo, what I'm having trouble with, since that seems to be what would be the cause of my ping spikes.

~~~~~

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 11:24:06 PM, on 1/23/2011
    Platform: Windows 7 (WinNT 6.00.3504)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16700)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\Scheduler\STService.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Toaster.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Online\DataSafeOnline.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\Roxio Burn\RoxioBurnLauncher.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Webcam\Dell Webcam Central\WebcamDell2.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\agent\bin\avgidsmonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
    C:\Users\Mic\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://g.msn.com/USCON/1
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bing.com/?pc=Z006&form=ZGAPHP
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: Search Helper - {6EBF7485-159F-4bff-A14F-B9E3AAC4465B} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SEPsearchhelperie.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {9D425283-D487-4337-BAB6-AB8354A81457} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: URLRedirectionBHO - {B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF} - C:\PROGRA~2\MIF5BA~1\Office14\URLREDIR.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {9D425283-D487-4337-BAB6-AB8354A81457} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: @C:\Program Files (x86)\MSN Toolbar\Platform\6.3.2348.0\npwinext.dll,-100 - {8dcb7100-df86-4384-8842-8fa844297b3f} - C:\Program Files (x86)\MSN Toolbar\Platform\6.3.2348.0\npwinext.dll (file missing)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "c:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDVDDXSrv] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell DataSafe Online] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Online\DataSafeOnline.exe" /m
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Desktop Disc Tool] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\Roxio Burn\RoxioBurnLauncher.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell Webcam Central] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Webcam\Dell Webcam Central\WebcamDell2.exe" /mode2
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Conime] %windir%\system32\conime.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Default Manager] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Default Manager\DefMgr.exe" -resume
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Launcher] C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\Scheduler\Launcher.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [DSUpdateLauncher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\hstart.exe" /NOCONSOLE /D="C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate" /RUNAS "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\DSUpd.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [STToasterLauncher] C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\toasterLauncher.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: Dell Dock First Run.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell\DellDock\DellDock.exe (User 'Default user')
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MIF5BA~1\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Se&nd to OneNote - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MIF5BA~1\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll/105
    O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1004 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1003 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Se&nd to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
    O16 - DPF: {6A060448-60F9-11D5-A6CD-0002B31F7455} (ExentInf Class) -
    O16 - DPF: {C1F8FC10-E5DB-4112-9DBF-6C3FF728D4E3} (DellSystemLite.Scanner) - http://support.dell.com/systemprofil...SystemLite.CAB
    O18 - Protocol: avgsecuritytoolbar - {F2DDE6B2-9684-4A55-86D4-E255E237B77C} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O18 - Protocol: cozi - {5356518D-FE9C-4E08-9C1F-1E872ECD367F} - c:\Program Files (x86)\Cozi Express\CoziProtocolHandler.dll
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\avgpp.dll
    O18 - Protocol: wlpg - {E43EF6CD-A37A-4A9B-9E6F-83F89B8E6324} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler.dll
    O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {807573E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\MSOXMLMF.DLL
    O23 - Service: Andrea RT Filters Service (AERTFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\AERTSr64.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Security Toolbar Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\Toolbar\ToolbarBroker.exe
    O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Dock Login Service (DockLoginService) - Stardock Corporation - C:\Program Files\Dell\DellDock\DockLogin.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\WildTangent\Dell Games\Dell Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
    O23 - Service: GoToAssist - Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\g2aservice.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Kodak AiO Network Discovery Service - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodak\AiO\Center\ekdiscovery.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service (LMS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
    O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: SoftThinks Agent Service (SftService) - SoftThinks SAS - C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\sftservice.EXE
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Print Spooler (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (DellSupportCenter) (sprtsvc_DellSupportCenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management & Security Application User Notification Service (UNS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Wireless WLAN Card\WLTRYSVC.EXE
    O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
    End of file - 13760 bytes

Is this the Hijackthis log that you wanted?
    *sidenote: lol @ any iTunes things you find here, I literally got an iPod touch yesterday.

Edit: I'm taking classes to get a degree in Computer Science, and as such I've/I'm taken/taking a few programming/web development classes, so you might find some stuff for such classes here, like JES 4.3, JCreator LE, etc.
    Also, if you see ANYTHING here related to BING toolbar, let me know, I've been trying to clean it up off my system for ages now and I keep seeing random bits of it floating around my computer.

Edit 2: my computer came with 1 year free of McAfee (spelling?) anti-virus, but I had issues with this particular anti-virus on my old desktop computer with gaming and printing, so I uninstalled it immediately after I got this computer and replaced it with AVG. (the free version)
    Last edited by That; 01-23-11 at 11:36 PM.

Bump for great bandwidth. (see what I did there? )

UPDATE (+belated bump)! I've recently changed to a different MMORPG lately, and I don't have any issues when I play at home (as opposed to playing at dorm). I used to have trouble at both. However, I'm still having trouble at my dorm, so if someone could tell me what the hijackthis log means and what I should do with it, I would very much appreciate it.