Thread: Slow Gigabit pc2pc crossover cable transfers? Settings help?

Slow Gigabit pc2pc crossover cable transfers? Settings help?

Ok, So I bought a legit 1gbps crossover cable to link both of my pc's together for faster network transfers for video editing.

They are both connected with wifi to the net, but I want to utilize the GB lan's for local network between the two.

My issue is I'm getting 60mbps transfer rates between two WD black sata drives over the network.

I'm pretty sure it's just a NIC setting, but I'm not sure what settings will optimize the GB speeds.
    Things like jumbo packet size, etc
    Also the windows 7 network adapter protocols that should be enabled/disabled if the LAN ports are only to be used for local transfers and no net usage.

Well, have at it

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Crossover cables are no longer needed....if at least 1x of the two computers has a gigabit NIC. Part of the gigabit standard is auto MDI-X. So you can plug 2 computers together with a regular patch cable. Same for uplinks to routers/switches/etc.

But having a crossover cable won't hurt you either, it's just....spending the money, or time to build one, wasn't necessary.
    Do you have N wireless? Sounds like the wireless adapters are being used for the transfer. Try unbinding server/workstation (file and print sharing) from your wireless adapter, forcing Windows to use the LAN NICs for that.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks, I actually tried that and as far as I can tell, it seems to be switching automatically to my GBLAN when doing (large) transfers without changing anything. I had no idea about the crossover cable, however I got it super cheap new on ebay 15ft'er but I also need it for transfers to my laptop which is not GB and other pc's I have that both do not have GB.

But I am now only getting 27MB or 216mb/s transfer speeds.

Now can anyone share with me optimal settings for both of these?

The first pic is of the LAN that will be used only for LAN transfers and will not require internet connection..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You can try setting jumbo frames on both NICs to 9,000 and see how that goes.
    Focus on MB/s for transfer speeds. On your first post you mentioned 60 mbps..but I assume you meant 60 MB/s? 60 is pretty good for gigabit speeds..you're not going to squeeze much more out of home grade desktop PCs.

On paper, the highest speed for gigabit is 128 MB/s. Now..we have to scrub some off due to overhead of the hardware, shared buses on the motherboard, other OS overhead eating away another 35% or so....80 MB/s should be your real goal "best".

Windows also gets a bit wonky when she's multi-homed...meaning...you have your NICs wired, and your wireless NICs enabled on the same network.
    Try disabling the wireless NICs on both computers, reboot...and using only the wired NICs...try a LAN transfer. That should give you a cleaner result for a baseline of things.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Ok cool, Yeah so there's no confusion it's 27MB/s aka 216mb/s transfer speeds.

Last edited by porschedrifter; 12-13-10 at 01:00 PM.