Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCleaner enhanced 270 more apps.

CCleaner enhanced 270 more apps.

CCleaner Enhancer updates the popular system cleaning utility with support for cleaning up after 270 more applications, so you can keep your system even more crap free.

http://lifehacker.com/5606634/cclean...g-270-new-apps

***Note Lots of site crashes early on***

I'm not too happy with its latest version mainly cause it asks you if you want to install a toolbar... These apps are getting damn near annoying with it even asking. If I wanted the damn toolbar I would have downloaded it!!!

I'm waiting to see how the Portable version of this works anyway.

I hate toolbars.

What I hate even more are relatives that install tool bars.

What I hate even more are relatives that install tool bars and a bunch of crapware then ask me to fix the computer for free.

OK, you get the idea.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Just educate people to slow down when installing things....and pay attention to the opt out page where you can uncheck those "me too" packages.

Most of them are doing it now...go update Java or Flash or Shockwave or iTunes or free PDF readers....and hey even some free antivirus products....AntiVir (ad banners), Avast (in bed with Google, Chrome browser,)

Hey, it helps keep the product free.
    Tis easy to just slow down and remove that checkmark...
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I'm not too happy with its latest version mainly cause it asks you if you want to install a toolbar... These apps are getting damn near annoying with it even asking. If I wanted the damn toolbar I would have downloaded it!!!

I'm waiting to see how the Portable version of this works anyway.
    So get the no toolbar one:

http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_...ish_d4191.html

Or the portable:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Portable_d5735.html

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Just educate people to slow down when installing things....and pay attention to the opt out page where you can uncheck those "me too" packages.

Most of them are doing it now...go update Java or Flash or Shockwave or iTunes or free PDF readers....and hey even some free antivirus products....AntiVir (ad banners), Avast (in bed with Google, Chrome browser,)

Hey, it helps keep the product free.
    Tis easy to just slow down and remove that checkmark...
    I slow down installing everthing now.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    I just venting about the fly by night installs.. I always use the portable. I think ya miss understood what I was saying

I just venting about the fly by night installs.. I always use the portable. I think ya miss understood what I was saying
    Its not like they hide it. And by offering the toolbar it keeps ccleaner free, so I'm all for it.

Its not like they hide it. And by offering the toolbar it keeps ccleaner free, so I'm all for it.
    as long as its not pre-checked to install.. yes people need to slow down but having it pre-checked to install is bs free or not.

as long as its not pre-checked to install.. yes people need to slow down but having it pre-checked to install is bs free or not.
    It's free, bottom line.

I hate toolbar add-on BS as much as you, but if that extra 2 seconds means the product is free, it seems worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    It's free, bottom line.

I hate toolbar add-on BS as much as you, but if that extra 2 seconds means the product is free, it seems worth it to me.
    Ohh its fine..just don't have it prechecked to install.. leave both no and yes boxes open and for whoever to check it.

Ohh its fine..just don't have it prechecked to install.. leave both no and yes boxes open and for whoever to check it.
    I understand that part

I assume their sponsorship would drop if that were the case though, that they're given a higher rate if the default setting has the toolbar install checked.

Hence the free part.

There are other free cleaners out there that don't have toolbar options, users can always choose those.

Plus its yahoo toolbar, its not like it will rape you in the middle of the night and then install malware.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I understand that part

I assume their sponsorship would drop if that were the case though, that they're given a higher rate if the default setting has the toolbar install checked.

Hence the free part.

There are other free cleaners out there that don't have toolbar options, users can always choose those.
    Yeah there are many free apps that have the yes and no install boxes left open... must be some sort of business decision to have it checked yes by default vs many others that don't. Key thing to remember as said above is to slow down when installing this stuff or using it.

Also try this Multi-Toolbar remover.. looks like it would work pretty good to kill them all!!

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Multi-Tool...ver_d6549.html

Plus its yahoo toolbar, its not like it will rape you in the middle of the night and then install malware.
    Ya never know...it is still YAHOO

Cleaned up about 5 gigs for me...nice

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    I would rather have to place a checkmark if I do want it. Instead of removing one if I donít want a toolbar. Oh well, Itís not hard to remove a checkmark, itís probably the software writers way of keeping it free and earning a little extra cash.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    Cleaned up about 5 gigs for me...nice
    It removed five gigs of trash?
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Blog Entries
    I've been using this program for a while. My Wife's computer is on all of the time, because it has a VoIP phone hooked up to it.

Here is a good link on running CCleaner as a schedule task. I suggest doing this especially on your family members computers:
    Setup CCleaner to Automatically Run Each Night in Windows 7, Vista or XP

One important thing to remember, is to delete your Java Cache in Windows xp, vista or windows 7 control panel.. a lot of java script virus likes to hide out in the cache. So dumping it is a good thing. You might see a bit of a speed boost as well. In Windows 7 go here:

Certified SG Addict
    I noticed the newer versions of Sun Java wouldn't let me disable auto-update no matter what tricks I pulled, so I uninstalled it. That was over a year ago, and I have yet to run into a website that wouldn't run without it installed.