Thread: How to access my DVR using dyndns?

How to access my DVR using dyndns?

Im trying to use dyndns to access my DVR, which has a private IP (10.**.80.*) assigned by my router (linksys wrt300n). When setting up the dyndns thing i just let it autodetect my ip address and it gets something like this 201.***.***.** It works but it gets to my routers ip address, which from what ive read is the public ip. My question is, how do i use dyndns to get to my DVRs private ip within my routers public ip?
    Thanks!
    Vic

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You need to open/forward ports necessary for your DVRs service to be available through the routers NAT firewall.

For example, if your DVR is accessed via a web interface, perhaps that runs on something like port 8081..(you'd have to refer to your documentation or DVR support). You create a static LAN IP for your DVR, such as 192.168.1.50....most routers support this via DHCP reservations. Then you open/forward port 8081 on your routers port forwarding section of the web admin to that internal IP address.

Now when accessing from the outside, point your browser to http://my.dyndns.org:8081 for example.

Or does your DVR run on a host operating systems, like..runs right on Windows XP. Then you'd probably just want a remote desktop viewing program, like logmein.com free.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!