Thread: Windows 7 - How do I move files to shrink a partition?

Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar

Windows 7 - How do I move files to shrink a partition?

Dell shipped me my 1 TB drive all partitioned to C drive. I want to have a large D drive to put all my media files on and leave C just for system files.

At first I could only make the D drive about 450 Gb, by moving the pagefile to D for now I was able to get my C Drive down to about 250 Gb but I'd like to get it down to about 100 Gb if possible.

I think the file that isn't budging on defrag (tried both native defrag and Perfect Disk offline defrag) is the hibernation file. I believe I have done everything possible to shut off the hibernation file and sleep modes but I don't think it removes the file. The hibernation file cannot be cleaned up on Windows Clean Up anymore. I've googled this problem a fair amount and am kind of hitting a wall it seems.

1. Any suggestions how I move this file out of the way (and it would be really nice to know how I confirm that it is indeed the hibernation file)?

2. There was some babble about windows event logger under number 259, had one hell of a time trying to get this to work, apparently it will tell you the name of the file holding up the shrink size of your partition.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    How much do you have in your documents libraries? I really doubt it's your hiberfil.sys or pagefile.sys.....on this laptop I'm typing from right here, my hiberfil.sys is only 2.6 gigs, and my pagefile.sys is about 3.2 gigs.

This laptop has just a 100 gig drive, I'm only using 30 gigs of it...I have MS Office Enterprise 2007 installed, and a few other basics...Windows 7 Pro.

I'm guessing it's files you have..docs, pics, downloads.....move your library to a removable drive....or the D drive if it's available and has enough room.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I just got this desktop, it's got Windows 7 on it and I've installed 3 or 4 apps on it. Firefox and stuff like that. The latest reading I've done makes me think it is "shadow copy" data (whatever that is). I didn't add any documents or pictures to C drive (that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid).

I'm away from home right now, but when I get back I can take a screenshot of how things look in Perfect Disk. There a couple of fairly large blocks of files that I believe are in the "excluded" category which means PerfectDisk won't move them I think.

My pagefile was set to 8 Gb and hibernation file 6 Gb. As I said, my pagefile is set to be on the D Drive.

Heh, now you will also know me speaking of drive C and D was to simplify my point (I really have C, DVD drive is D, Docs are Drive E, Music/Movies/Other is Drive F. The Point is the same though.

Here's the screenshot as promised:
    Last edited by purecomedy; 11-23-09 at 01:17 AM.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    If you're wanting to shrink the C drive, what application are you using to do the resizing? Is it giving you some error that it cannot shrink? Windows 7 now includes resizing in its own disk management, don't need 3rd party anymore for basic stuff.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yeah you betcha, I was just using the Windows 7 Disk Management.

It isn't giving me an explicit error, but the Shrink Volume feature will tell me the maximum amount I can shrink by. Right now it'll allow my to shrink it by 0 only....

All this other stuff I'm trying just relates to jumping through hoops to try and get those files on C to snuggle up to the beginning part of the disk.

Oddly enough the file at the end of the hard drive decided to go off the exclusion list so I was now able to get the C drive down to 127 Gb. While I'm not entirely happy with that, I think I'm going to move on and just stick with it.

As it is, to reassign my partitions again I need to start from scratch. The partitions will only resize themselves towards the end of the drive, ie. If the drive started at the 250 Gb point it will not let you expand the starting point to 127 Gb. Anyway, I'll do this once and don't really feel like doing it again.

I'm sorry that I couldn't find the recipe for how to move these annoying "unmovable" files. I believe they are large files inside C:\System Volume Information\ with crazy GUID style file names like {3939393-389389383-39393939}

Note: I made up that file name so don't count characters. I'd love it if I could find a way to get into C:\System Volume Information\ so I could see if there was a large file sitting there. It seems like Windows has the directory locked down quite well and won't let me in to see though.

Last edited by purecomedy; 11-29-09 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Meant to post to new thread