Thread: Motorola SB5101 Send Light Blinking - no connection (Comcast)

Motorola SB5101 Send Light Blinking - no connection (Comcast)

Two days ago, I lost my connection to the internet.

In the morning, everything was fine. In the afternoon, the internet was gone and the send light on my Motorola SB5101 was blinking frantically.

Unfortunately, I am unable to have access to both my modem/computer and the internet at the same time, so I wrote down some information.

Downstream
    Frequency - 681000000Hz
    Signal to Noise - 38.4dB
    Power Level - -5.5dBmV

Upstream
    Channel ID - 6
    Frequency - 31000000Hz
    Power - 30.0 dBmV

The first thing I tried was changing out the modem. This didn't work. I tried a SB5101U and the result was the same - blinking send light.

I tried powering it off, resetting it, and also restoring it to factory settings. The person at the Comcast help desk could not communicate with my modem remotely.

I saw somewhere that the Upstream power might be too low? I'm not sure what it was before this happened. I've had a rock steady connection for something like five or six years.

I am looking for suggestions or do I need to just wait until Comcast comes out to the house?
    Last edited by elsinne; 10-08-09 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typo

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    just wait for them to come out my guess is either on pole or maybe bad spiltter somewhere.
    Comptia a+ n+

resolution?

Any resolution on this? I just had the same problem last night and have scheduled a cable tech to come out tomorrow. At work currently, but my modem vitals are approximately:

Downstream
    Frequency - 681000000Hz
    Signal to Noise - 35.0B
    Power Level - -12.5dBmV

Upstream
    Channel ID - 2
    Frequency - 31000000Hz
    Power - ranging from 21. dBmV to 55.0 dBmV

I did call Motorola on this and and they said because the upstream range was not consistantly in the low to mid 40s, it was having problems communicating with the ISP (cable company). 55 is way to high, while 21 is too low. The Power Level should range somewhere between -15 and +15, so we're good. The signal to noise range I forget, but I know I was good there - so it was immediately evident to them that it was the upstream power.

The Internet going out happened to coincide with some infrastructure updates they did that brought all their cable down the day of Game 6 in the World Series. Genious. My Internet worked that day, but cable did not. Once cable came back on, Internet did not work. So who knows. I know I have some intermittant signal issues based on low signal outside the home, interference with the signal, and then sub-par wiring inside, so that may have a lot to do with it. Hopefully I can find out Sunday and come back with resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by krankitup2 View Post
    Any resolution on this? I just had the same problem last night and have scheduled a cable tech to come out tomorrow. At work currently, but my modem vitals are approximately:

Downstream
    Frequency - 681000000Hz
    Signal to Noise - 35.0B
    Power Level - -12.5dBmV

Upstream
    Channel ID - 2
    Frequency - 31000000Hz
    Power - ranging from 21. dBmV to 55.0 dBmV
    You want that Downstream power level near 0, try to get them to adjust that. Upstream should be no higher than 55 but 40 for comcast is usually a good spot.

The problem could well be on their end or with the modem itself so it's a wait and have them do their thing. If you are not getting a connection, it's most likely a line or configuration setup on their end. They are constantly mucking about changing hardware, system upgrading or whatever but it might be something as a monkey up a pole making some connection changes which wiped you out.