Thread: How to connect two internet connections from different providers to a wi-fi setup ?

Question How to connect two internet connections from different providers to a wi-fi setup ?

Hi all
    I have a small office setup with 3 pc's and 2 laptops and I have a cable internet connection that i was using with a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
    The PC's are connected with wired lan connection whereas the laptops use the wireless mode for internet acces

Recently took the Broadband DSL from MTNL ( The local phone company ) and they have given a wireless DSL modem.

The problem is how do i connect the whole setup so as to use both internet connections without having to change any settings etc when i am switching from one net connection to another
    Right now i can only use once connection at a time and if i have to use the second one, i need to change the TCP IP settings on the pc which becomes cumbersome
    My reason to keep two internet connection is for a backup as cant afford to be without connectivity
    Is a dual wan router helpful ?
    I have been told linksys makes such router and also DLink..
    My PC tech guy is not into networking and unable to help
    Please let me know whats the best way to hook up the whole setup
    Thanks in advance
    Ram

though i have not tried this kind of setup, you may want to look into something like this Sonicwall router. the only potential negative aspect is the 2nd WAN is (if remember correctly) more of a backup or failover than it is a concurrent connection. this may have the option of configuration, so you may want to look into it further.

beyond that, you may consider a dual WAN wired router and a wireless access point, or even 2 NICs in the machines, which is more on the cumbersome side of things, and i have never tried dual wireless connections on one machine so i am not sure how well your operating system will play along with that config.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Hello

You need dual wan router.

I'm using Linksys and I'm very satisfied.You can set it up as load balance mode or back up mode(if one isp is out it will switch to the 2nd one)

I was trying to find wireless dual wan but they dont make them yet (keep in mind I was searching for it 6 months ago)

Hope it helps.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

www.kit-tronics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rivas View Post
    Hello

You need dual wan router.

I'm using Linksys and I'm very satisfied.You can set it up as load balance mode or back up mode(if one isp is out it will switch to the 2nd one)

I was trying to find wireless dual wan but they dont make them yet (keep in mind I was searching for it 6 months ago)

Hope it helps.

i skimmed over the manual for the Sonicwall wireless router i mentioned above, but it seems (on the surface, anyways) that the 2nd WAN is handled by the RJ-11 (dialup) port instead of a 2nd ethernet port.

a minute of searching did yield one a little closer to the objective.

check for reviews on a DrayTek Vigor 2910VG . looks to have the features youre looking for. i have no experience with DrayTek, so i cannot offer any firsthand experience with them. but, Rivas is right... as far as wireless dual wan routers, the pickings are kind of slim. it would be much less hassle than a wired dual wan router + a wireless access point, though.
    Last edited by Faust; 09-04-09 at 06:45 PM. Reason: model # to the wireless 2910VG

- Leo Szilard

thanks for the input guys,,
    saw two dual wan routers online
    linksys and dlink
    seems its a good idea
    since i have a linksys wireless router already, i can get the wi-fi connection
    does load balance mode combine the speed of both connections ?

Quote Originally Posted by MumbaiProperties View Post
    ...does load balance mode combine the speed of both connections ?

yes. depending on what router you are talking about specifically, there may be some limitations to how well it does this (example being single large FTP transfers), but for all intents and purposes it works the way you would expect.

- Leo Szilard

[H2WR54G] Wireless-G Dual WAN 4-Port Firewall Router

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/...=13&ProdID=185