Thread: what is ad.doubleclick.net?

sol

Post what is ad.doubleclick.net?

I have seen this mentioned in other threads, but wasn't sure what it was. I get a ZA alert that ad.doubleclick.net was trying to connect to the internet while ZA has the connection locked

JANDOENT

Sol, buddy, you may be getting a taste of them nasties already! You gotta be carefull where you put your 'puter You probably need to go here and download AdAware, It should take care of you for this: http://www.lavasoft.de/
    The instructions are easy for this one, but not always!

sol

Red face

Uh oh... what now?

and how do I prevent this in the future?

Started scan on 11/16/00 at 7:44:03 PM

Scanning Memory
    =================
    modules found:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\KEYBOARD\SPEEDKEY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOUSEWARE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MESSENGER\MSMSGS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MINDSPRING ENTERPRISES\MINDSPRING MAX DSL\APP\ENTERNET.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZSTATX.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\LAVASOFT\AD-AWARE 3.61\AD-AWARE 3.6\AD-AWARE 361.EXE

Running processes:20

Aureate modules found:0
    TimeSink modules found:0
    CometCursor modules found:0
    Cydoor modules found:0
    Web3000 modules found:0
    Gator modules found:0

Scanning registry
    ================
    suspicious keys found:
    CometCursor:HKCR\CometCursor.cometcursor
    CometCursor:HKCR\CometCursor.cometcursor.1
    CometCursor:HKCR\CLSID\{1678F7E1-C422-11D0-AD7D-00400515CAAA}
    CometCursor:HKCR\Typelib\{3C0C31A2-70A2-11D1-B69E-444553540000}
    CometCursor:HKLM\Software\Comet
    CometCursor:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Accepted Documents\X-Comet
    CometCursor:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Comet
    CometCursor:HKCR\CLSID\{1678f7e1-c422-11d0-ad7d-00400515caaa}

Warning : comet.dll is registered
    Warning : csuninst.exe is registered

WARNING:10 spyware key(s) found.

Scanning bootdrive
    ==================
    suspicious files found:
    CometCursor file:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMET.DLL
    CometCursor file:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CSUNINST.EXE
    DoubleClick Cookie:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\default@doubleclick[2].txt
    DoubleClick Cookie:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\anyuser@doubleclick[2].txt
    DoubleClick Cookie:C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\sol@doubleclick[2].txt
    DoubleClick Cookie:C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\sol000\Cookies\default@doubleclick[2].txt
    DoubleClick Cookie:C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\sol000\Cookies\sol@doubleclick[2].txt

Scan complete...

Scan-Result:
    ==============
    17 Spyware references found.

JANDOENT

OK Sol, let's try to to fix it. Comet Curser is a pretty bad one, let's see if we can uninstall it first. I hope that you have Windows! In the bottom, left corner of your screen is a "START" button, click it, go up to settings, scroll over to "Control Panel" and click, now look for "add/remove programs" and double click. A window will open, you will see a small window in it with your programs listed. Look for "Comet Curser" you may have to click on any program to get it to scroll with your mouse wheel. (if you don't have a mouse wheel, click on the small black arrow in the corner of the window). You may have more than 1 entry for comet curser, so check all of the listings in that window. When you see "Comet Curser" click on it and it will highlight it, then click the remove button that will show itself. I hope you can find it, if not, it will get more complicated. I waiting on your response.

JANDOENT

Sorry, window was froze, the browser stuck, my finger slipped,........

[This message has been edited by JANDOENT (edited 11-17-2000).]

sol

Ok, back from running erands and at the computer again...

I removed cometcusor using the add/remove window. What next?

btw, I am using windows (98se) and I know my way around the computer fairly well - it is just the security/internet jargon that stumps me.

JANDOENT

Now run AdAware again and when it lists what is left, let me know. You don't have to post the items that say molecules found if it says 0 beside them.

sol

hmmm, I think that I just had ad-aware remove the programs - clicked finnish and I'm not sure what it did. at any rate, I just ran it again, and no suspicious files were detected.

sol

so, how do I prevent these things from infiltrating my computer? Like I said earlier, I installed zonealarm (the freebie) today - are there any settings that I should change? and am I missing out on anything important by not buying the pro version?

JANDOENT

Thats great Sol, be careful with free proggies. Stay away from Comet Curser, Go!zilla, Jet Car, Download Accelerater,Time Sink, Gator, GoHop, Web 3000, there is a lot but these are really Bad. I'm glad you have it straightened out. Run your Maintenance wizard tonight and reboot tomorrow. Take Care.

JANDOENT

Email me and I'll see what I can do for you I posted my address earlier or just look in my profile (click your mouse on the first icon across the top of one of my post)

JANDOENT

Hey sol, I tried to send you something, but it was too big for your hotmail account. Do you have another Email or ICQ? Let me know.

mojac

Hi Ken,
    I read the other thread, you mentioned Inoculate IT. I had this and removed it, its one of the softwares that use your connection for advertising. If I remember right it was called Radiate. You'll probably know this already!! but just thought I'd let you know.

joker12578

none of you know what bad is. Back ABOUT a year ago when I first find that spyware killer I fond 200 of those little f**kers on my computer but that was when I was using aohell, now I think they may have had something to do with that..??..

joker12578

oops I didn't mean that one U where talking about. I ment optout.

dmsmed

Smile

I haven't heard anyone mention anything about this program >> http://www.anti-trojan.net/home.asp?l=en&t=home

JANDOENT

Hey dmsmed, Sorry that I haven't gotten back with you. I use that anti-trojan on a routine basis. It found 3 ports open that no test had discovered. Whew! I am glad that no trojan found them! $22 I think it cost, but you can keep reloading the 5 free tries if you really wanted. The way that I look at it, they could use the money for research as I find it to be one of the more thorough around (at least in terms of ports checked). I will get some responses back to you tomorrow,err today. hehheehh

JANDOENT

Originally posted by mojac:
    Hi Ken,
    I read the other thread, you mentioned Inoculate IT. I had this and removed it, its one of the softwares that use your connection for advertising. If I remember right it was called Radiate. You'll probably know this already!! but just thought I'd let you know.
    Hey mojac, wasssuupp! I don't think that Innoculate is radiant or any of the know spies, it is freeware, and any free proggy is potentially dangerous. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention though. I have probably read on every known virus proggy out there. In reality, most people have never heard of the ones that I use, as they are not the big company names. However, the big companies buy a lot of their info from my sources, as they are the people that are the leaders in the field of computer virus. But their goods are very expensive. And most people are not as paranoid as I am. So all I did was check my magic anti virus proggie folder and pull out a few of the known sites. Good heads up on your part though! I talk with you again. Take care.

dmsmed

Smile

You know those Germans, they don't do anything half assed!