Thread: How TO Check currently logged into server from command line

How TO Check currently logged into server from command line

Hello,
    I m new to this networking world & learning through books. Here is one querry that: -

1. How can I check logged clients into my server from command line? If there are other ways to do so pls mention.

2. How many systems are connected to my server??

Intellectuals are requested to answer.

Will be thankful.

Regards,
    Bekar

workgroup or domain configuration?

if its domain, the easier way would be the Users tab under Task Manager. not 100% sure if this works with a workgroup environment. my inkling is "no", but it's easy enough to check.

as far as from the command prompt, you could run netstat (and a flag such as -a or -n or whatever, depending on what your looking for info-wise. -a should just show all connections, including listen ports). if you know the NetBIOS name of the clients in question, youll be able to ID who that connection belongs to. keep in mind that netstat usually lists more info that what i think youre looking for, depending on the flag/parameter you use.

i'm sure there are specific tools for this purpose as well, as the primary problem is that it's very hard to tell if a client is still actually connected without the server probing or asking in some way. if the kerberos ticket hasn't expired, it will look like a user is still logged on. outstanding tickets, i believe, arent really a help in assembling a list of users in the way you're looking for (who is actually logged into that server at that moment in time).

honestly, i would wait for additional input on this from other users. server OSs arent really my strong suit. i just thought i'd throw out a couple ideas in the meantime.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    net user and better yet...net session

But, I find it quicker to do it from MMC, right from the shares, you can see sessions and open files, and from who.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

net user and better yet...net session

But, I find it quicker to do it from MMC, right from the shares, you can see sessions and open files, and from who.

not trying to hijack, but....

in terms of useful information, i think i learned more in the time it took me to read that than i did all last week in class.

am i correct in assuming the sessions are persistant (what i mentioned about outstanding kerberos tickets)? open files looked to be real-time in terms of status (my client closes the conn to the share, listed conn goes bye-bye under open files), but sessions seems to be persistant (client closes or stops using the share, but sessions on server still lists the conn). this is due to the outstanding ticket, yes?

sorry if im trying your patience, 'Cat. just trying to connect the theory im trying to learn with practical useage.

- Leo Szilard

I've never compared the in use vs sessions, but I want to say I don't think the sessions listed are related to the life of the ticket, as when I'm having people get out of "stuff" on a server, as I see in use list shrink, I also see the sessions list shrink almost as fast. If it were related to life time of the tickets, it would stay populated far longer with all the users.

I always associated that sessions list saying open with some viewers because they have "something" still on the server...such as explorer just open to the share..even though no files were actually open/in use.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I've never compared the in use vs sessions, but I want to say I don't think the sessions listed are related to the life of the ticket, as when I'm having people get out of "stuff" on a server, as I see in use list shrink, I also see the sessions list shrink almost as fast. If it were related to life time of the tickets, it would stay populated far longer with all the users.

I always associated that sessions list saying open with some viewers because they have "something" still on the server...such as explorer just open to the share..even though no files were actually open/in use.

aah, that makes sense. im guessing the login is persistant throughout that client's windows session. i fiddled around some and noticed i only had to log in once (first time that session on a Vista system) to the server. didnt have to log in again until after the next bootup. probably a client-side policy setting(?). ill poke around some and see if i can find it.

much appreciated, bud

- Leo Szilard

You promote the server to a DC? Or is she still running workgroup mode?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    You promote the server to a DC? Or is she still running workgroup mode?

hehe, funny you should ask. just finished up setting up DHCP (i fired the router), and am underway setting up DNS before i promote it to DC. but, in terms of earlier it was still plain vanilla workgroup.

would it be easier to figure out the previous funkiness if i left it as workgroup for now?

- Leo Szilard