Thread: How do I connect my PCI-E video card?

How do I connect my PCI-E video card?

Common sense tells me that you should just connect both six pin connectors but I just want to make sure. I can't believe the video card company didn't include some instructions on how to connect the card for the diy'er.

My card is the Sapphire ATI HD 4870 1GB Toxic Edition listed here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102815
    My Power Supply is Corsair CMPSU-650TX listed here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005
    My question is how do I connect the power supply to the video card? My power supply has two six pin pci connectors each with a 2 pin connector attached to it. My video card is a 12 pin connector.

Go to the Sapphire web site and look up your card. You should be able to download and or look at the installation instructions. Just about everything has a quick install guide available for download these days. It may even be on the CD or DVD that came with it.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Go to the Sapphire web site and look up your card. You should be able to download and or look at the installation instructions. Just about everything has a quick install guide available for download these days. It may even be on the CD or DVD that came with it.
    Thats the problem the manual and online instructions talk about installing a VGA card not a PCI-E card lol

so the 6pin plugs on the power supply also have 2 extra pins each ?

my guess would be that the extra 2 pins simply break off the other 6 and those extra pins are for more power hungry cards.

so you would plug both 6pin plugs in the card and have 2 sets of 2 pin as spares for later cards like a 280GTX or something.

now this is only a guess, so beware please

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    so the 6pin plugs on the power supply also have 2 extra pins each ?

my guess would be that the extra 2 pins simply break off the other 6 and those extra pins are for more power hungry cards.

so you would plug both 6pin plugs in the card and have 2 sets of 2 pin as spares for later cards like a 280GTX or something.

now this is only a guess, so beware please
    That was my guess too. The plastic bubble wrap the card came in confirmed it. I didn't think to check there I thought it would be in the manual but it wasn't it just showed how to connect a VGA card? Really weird they would include that with a PCI-E card. But your right the other two pins are for more power hungary cards. But unfortunately I guess I will not be able to run crossfire with this power suppyly because it only has two pci-e connectors I thought that would be enough, didn't realize that one card took both connectors.

Blog Entries
    Some cards require 8 pin power connectors. I believe that these are extra grounds (3 power, 5 grounds)
    6 pin..... http://is.gd/lEmj
    8 pin..... http://is.gd/lEkr

Making them different from 8 pin motherboard power connectors, which have 4 power and 4 grounds.

Adapters are available for 4 pin molex to 6 pin pci-e video card.... In fact I am using them on my 4870.

david

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche