Thread: Very slow cable internet

Very slow cable internet

I moved into an apartment a few months ago and got their supposed high-speed internet service. It was very slow from day one and the cable modem would lose its connection (for hours sometimes) at random times throughout the day. Sure I called and complained many times but apparently they "can't do anything about it". I was surfing the internet (slowly) and saw this site and figured I may as well ask. Is there any way to make it faster? When I test my connection speed on speedtest.net, i usually get 500-1400ms ping, 80-400kbps down, and 10-50kbps up. Arn't these speeds a little slow for cable? I just finished downloading a 135.5MB file and it took about 4hrs and 10mins.

If you need more info, please ask. I'll give you whatever I can.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Xaluber; 01-30-09 at 09:06 PM.

Whats your ISP your using? what Speeds do you pay for? Cable modem model and are you using a router? Direct connect or wireless? How far away is your modem from the connection cable box outside the apartment building and is the line fairly new?

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Whats your ISP your using? what Speeds do you pay for? Cable modem model and are you using a router? Direct connect or wireless? How far away is your modem from the connection cable box outside the apartment building and is the line fairly new?
    Ah a response. Thank you.

My ISP is Ultimate Medium Communications Corp. I don't know what speeds it is. I get the service through the apartment complex. They only offer 1 internet service. I have the cable modem (Joohong SuperLink 2810) connected to a Netgear switch. And the switch is connected to two computers (one pc running vista and one mac running os x 10.4.11) via ethernet (cat-5?) cable. I have no idea where the cable box is outside. My Dish Network satellite tv and internet come through the same cable line. I'm guessing the wiring has never been changed. The buildings are about 20 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaluber View Post
    Ah a response. Thank you.

My ISP is Ultimate Medium Communications Corp. I don't know what speeds it is. I get the service through the apartment complex. They only offer 1 internet service. I have the cable modem (Joohong SuperLink 2810) connected to a Netgear switch. And the switch is connected to two computers (one pc running vista and one mac running os x 10.4.11) via ethernet (cat-5?) cable. I have no idea where the cable box is outside. My Dish Network satellite tv and internet come through the same cable line. I'm guessing the wiring has never been changed. The buildings are about 20 years old.
    Why would your Satelllite feed and Cable internet feed come through the same RG6 cable if its even RG6???? If thats the case then no wonder your having issues but I hardly think thats true...is it?

Also you pay Ultimate Medium Comm Corp a fee per month for internet..how much do you pay and for what package??

Sigh.. I'm not sure how it works. Cable line comes out of the wall. I split it into 3. One for each of my two Satellite recievers, and one for my cable modem. And, I dont pay the ISP. I pay the apartment complex (the fee is added on to my montly rent). The internet is $30 per month but I get $10 off because I buy their TV service too.

I don't know if this will help any or not but it will confirm my terribly slow net.

This is all I could find on my ISP. I don't think they have a web site. Quote from BusinessWeek.com

"Ultimate Medium Communications Corporation provides communication services to small and medium business customers in the United States. The company uses an Internet protocol network to provide converged and broadband communication services. It offers local and long distance voice; Internet access and data services; Web site hosting and development; email; voicemail; conference calling; Web conferencing/work collaboration; desk top fax; and toll-free calling card and virtual private networks. It also involves in servicing various companies, including value added resellers, shared tenant service providers, service providers, interexchange carriers, wireless companies, cable, power, and local exchange carriers. The company serves businesses in Indianapolis, Indiana; Chicago, Illinois; Detroit, Michigan; and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ultimate Medium Communications Corporation is based in Carmel, Indiana."
    Last edited by Xaluber; 01-30-09 at 10:29 PM.

Post a TCP Analyzer report.

Also do a tracert to www.yahoo.com and post.

To do a tracert, click 'Start' and then 'Run'. Type "cmd" into the box and click 'ok'.

A DOS black screen will appear. Type after the C:\>

tracert www.yahoo.com

and press enter key

When test is completed, move mouse cursor to the DOS black screen, click right and choose 'select all'.

Move mouse cursor to the Quick Reply box of this forum, click right and 'paste'.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

Tracert:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\******>tracert www.yahoo.com

Tracing route to www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net [209.191.93.52]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 8 ms 8 ms 10 ms 10.10.111.254
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 127 ms 190 ms 187 ms f1.www.vip.mud.yahoo.com [209.191.93.52]

Trace complete.

TCP Analyzer latency test (hope thats what u wanted):

Pinging [193.10.252.19] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=222ms TTL=238
    Pinging [193.10.252.19] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=208ms TTL=238
    Pinging [193.10.252.19] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=294ms TTL=238
    Pinging [218.32.192.112] with 32 bytes ->Request Timed Out
    Pinging [218.32.192.112] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=321ms TTL=44
    Pinging [218.32.192.112] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=423ms TTL=44
    Pinging [216.77.188.41] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=127ms TTL=49
    Pinging [216.77.188.41] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=49
    Pinging [216.77.188.41] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=49
    Pinging [207.155.248.45] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=119ms TTL=239
    Pinging [207.155.248.45] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=151ms TTL=239
    Pinging [207.155.248.45] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=150ms TTL=239
    Pinging [66.230.207.58] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=234ms TTL=44
    Pinging [66.230.207.58] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=380ms TTL=44
    Pinging [66.230.207.58] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=160ms TTL=44
    Ping statistics for above hosts:
    Packets: Sent = 15, Received = 14, Lost = 1 (7% loss)
    Approximate round trip times (RTT) in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 72ms, Maximum = 423ms, Average = 196ms

Is your internet service through satellite as well?

Post your TCP Analyer report. Your TCP Window may have been set too low for the high latency of satellite.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

I don't think my internet is satellite... It uses a cable modem so I would think that it's cable. How do I get a TCP Analyzer report?

Quote Originally Posted by Xaluber View Post
    I don't think my internet is satellite... It uses a cable modem so I would think that it's cable. How do I get a TCP Analyzer report?
    The link to it is on the left side of the main page of this website.

Also try this NDT: http://nitro.ucsc.edu/

When test is completed, click the 'Statistics' button and post the pop-up report.

Quote Originally Posted by trogers View Post
    The link to it is on the left side of the main page of this website.

Also try this NDT: http://nitro.ucsc.edu/

When test is completed, click the 'Statistics' button and post the pop-up report.
    I downloaded TCPOptimizer but didn't see a Statistics button anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Withstand View Post
    Get TCP Optimizer from this site

Run/Open it

Go to the advanced tab

Check the following entry: Host resolution priority.
    They must NOT be set to the thousands or hundreds.
    The conventional values are:

Local:5
    Host:6
    DNS:7
    Netbt:8

I'm setting all to 1 though.

Also while you're at it try to configure the other TCP setting to get the most out of your internet connection.
    But the host resolution priority is the first thing you need to check when you haven't touched anything in the TCP setting. But I'm no expert. Hope this helps.
    I set all of those to 1 but when I tested again on speedtest.net, there wasn't any improvement in latency or speed. Thanks for the help though.

Ok I did what you told me to. After another test my DL and UL speeds are about 100Kbits faster and my ping is about 50ms less. But, I think that might just be because its 2:45AM. Ill do another test tomorrow afternoon.

EDIT: Ok I ran the test again at 1:30PM and my results where still good. But even at 500Kbits down and 150Kbits up, shouldn't cable be faster than that? And I thought that for it to be broadband or highspeed as they advertise it, that you had to get at least 768Kbits down? And I'm still getting 450ms ping which I've heard is terrible.
    Last edited by Xaluber; 02-01-09 at 12:33 PM.

I don't know if you read what I said further up in the thread but I do NOT pay the ISP. I pay the apartment complex and they pay the ISP. I do not know what speed I'm paying for because when I called the complex's local office, they told me that they don't know either. And the ping I'm getting is from going to speedtest.net and pinging the server thats nearest to me... so yea 450ms is terrible and I can't figure out why its so bad.

Well the problem with the ping is that i DO play online games. And its terrible. I read online that my ISP currently only employs 15 people. So I doubt theres anyone to call. When I did order my internet service, I was shipped a cable modem that I'm renting. There were no instructions on how to set it up so I guessed my way through it. Once I called in because the modem had lost its connection for 5 hours and they sent in a maintenance guy. He said they do that some times and I should just wait until it regained the connection. I'm starting to think this whole thing is a little fishy. I mean, the ISP doesn't even have a web site and nobody knows anything about them either.

Well the "maintenance guy" they sent was just a guy that works for the apartment complex. I doubt he really knew what he was doing. And, when living here, you can only get their internet service. So, I guess I don't have any other options.... Thanks for all of your help though.