Thread: Nikon D40/D60, Olympus E-420?

Nikon D40/D60, Olympus E-420?

Been a long time since I bought myself anything, am toying with the idea of a new camera to replace my Olympus p&s.

Have been reading a lot of reviews and comparisons but am wondering what people here have used. Seems like the price between the D40 and D60 has shrunk and although the difference in megapixels won't be noticeable in most prints it'd be nice to have.

Seems like the Nikons get great reviews for ease of use as entry level DSLRs while the Olympus has a lot more intricate settings that might be harder to get used to.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=3642

The E-420 offers some key advantages that the D60 doesn't provide (most notably, live view), sports a control arrangement that will appeal more strongly to serious shooters looking for a camera in this range, and provides a level of image quality that's high enough to run in the same race with the D60, at least, if not always win it. And on intangibles, at least around here, the E-420 largely wins out as well.
    Any input appreciated, thanks.

Blog Entries
    A lot of the posts that I've seen on the various photography boards that I've frequently recently have leaned towards the Nikon being the more popular of the two, probably for the very reasons that you've already listed. I probably would have gone with the Nikon myself if I hadn't bought my Sony DSLR (of which I already had a set of lenses).

You might want to try looking at http://www.thephotoforum.com or http://www.dpreview.com - both might be able to help you a little more with choosing the right one
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Thanks Indy, I'll check those links out.

They all seem a bit cheaper than the basic Rebels.

i don't know much about digicams, but i hear this is a pretty good site to check out.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

and the lense ya get is very important as well

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    i don't know much about digicams, but i hear this is a pretty good site to check out.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

and the lense ya get is very important as well
    Love that site

Thanks Mark

Well still looking at the Nikon D40 and D60, the Olympus E-420, and the Rebels.

Just got a nice little Sony W170 as a gift though, not quite what I was thinking of but a huge step up from my old camera

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...sony_w170.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Well still looking at the Nikon D40 and D60, the Olympus E-420, and the Rebels.

Just got a nice little Sony W170 as a gift though, not quite what I was thinking of but a huge step up from my old camera

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...sony_w170.html
    Very nice That's on the same order as my Kodak Z1285, p&s camera that my wife now commands Should get some really nice pictures out of your new camera
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

I have the D40X. Love the camera! If you want examples of shots, check out my website:

nightowl.is-a-geek.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Very nice That's on the same order as my Kodak Z1285, p&s camera that my wife now commands Should get some really nice pictures out of your new camera
    Horrible weather ever since

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    The reviews are decent, some better than others.

Part of me figures a small good camera will always gets lots of action regardless of what other cameras one might own. A smaller p&s is more likely to get taken along when I already have a bunch of dogs or beer or a backpack or all 3

Part of me wants to put this Sony towards a higher end camera though, otherwise I'll put it off forever.

Blog Entries
    Horrible weather ever since
    That's no excuse! I took this picture today of my dogs and my daughter from about 150 feet away...

And this one from my bedroom window...

------

Great pictures but I'd rather take shots in snow than in rain

Blog Entries
    Great pictures but I'd rather take shots in snow than in rain
    True enough You don't get nearly as wet in snow
    ------