Thread: What is wrong with the Road Runner after 6PM??!

Thumbs down What is wrong with the Road Runner after 6PM??!

I'm starting to think afte reading this forum that something is going on at night. Some type of maintenance that we aren't being told about. My problem actually started way back in October and I have had time warner send their techs out here about 10 or 11 times now.

You see in the morning and noon my speeds are up there. I know because it's become a ritual with me. Every morning I run a speed test and I'm connecting at around 7000kbps. When I run the same test at 6pm or 7pm depending on when I get home speeds drop down to around 400kbps if I'm lucky.

I've have done everything time warner has told me to do. I have reset my cable modem. I have cleared cache, temp files, history. In fact just to make sure it wasn't spyware or malware I completely formatted my computer and loaded absolutely nothing on it except for windows xp and still my speeds were attrocious after 6PM. Time Warner even reimbursed me for a month because they coudlnt figure out the problem.

I called again last night and requested to speak with a supervisor. I told the supervisor I had been having this problem since October and its still not fixed. Like all supervisor she couldn't give a s**t about my problem and told me that they would send out another tech yet again!!

Guys something is happening in the evening that is really slowing down the net. Congestion?? I don't know. Maintenance? Who knows. All I know is that I'm paying $60 a month for high speed cable and I'm not getting it. Anyone else have time warner?

What modem do you have? Check and compare the power levels when its good and bad.

Also post a TCP analyzer report.

Advanced Member
    I had road runner with Bright house and the speeds would drop big time at night when more people were home. The speeds kept getting worse as time went on and they would not do anything about it. I solved the problem by getting FIOS. The cable company's are not spending money to upgrade their old lines and installing more nodes.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    What modem do you have? Check and compare the power levels when its good and bad.

It says Motorola SB5100 Surboard Cable Modem.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post

It says Motorola SB5100 Surboard Cable Modem.

http://192.168.100.1/

Check the signal there.