Thread: can't connect to internet using static IP

can't connect to internet using static IP

If you've read my other posts, you'd think we were having problem after problem after problem. Well, we are. I think we're almost there though. We've been having Internet problems and finally narrowed it down to our modem. We kept losing our cable lock and then couldn't get it back for about twenty mins.
    Finally, after a day of waiting, we convinced our ISP to bring out a new modem and it worked like a charm... well except for the fact that I was forced to set our router to use a dynamic IP instead of static like it is supposed to be. We use a RV082 router with dual WAN. When I couldn't connect using a static IP on WAN 1, I swapped over to WAN 2 and set it up to obtain IP automatically. It works beautifully on WAN 2 with dynamic, but if I try to use our static on either port there's no internet.
    I'll admit I don't know much about static IPs at all. All I know is the guy before me set it up that way because we have another branch that uses a vpn connection to access our network. Do you guys have any idea what might be causing the problem?
    Prayed like a martyr dusk til dawn
    Begged like a hooker all night long
    Tempted the devil with my song
    And got what I wanted all along

well except for the fact that I was forced to set our router to use a dynamic IP instead of static like it is supposed to be.

Don't confuse your WAN IP with your LAN IP. The WAN IP is the one exposed to the Internet and the LAN IP is for comminicating within your LAN only. They are completely different. If your ISP assigns you a static IP (generally costs more) then you would insert that specific static IP for your WAN connection. If in fact your ISP doesn't assign a static IP (quite common), then your WAN connection must be set up as "automatic configuration-DHCP)
    Your LAN IP would be set up to be static, starting with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx. The LAN IP is of course static, but the WAN IP could be either, depending on your arrangements with your ISP
    You mention that the (WAN) IP is supposed to be static - confirm with your IP if this is in fact so.

Sorry, I should have clarified that bit. We are paying more for a static from our ISP. We have had the WAN set to static and had no problems until a few days ago. I'm on hold right now with tech support (have been for about 20 mins). I'm just trying to verify that they haven't changed us to a dynamic for some reason.

Well, I'm still on hold with tech support. I've talked to about four different people and haven't gotten very far. However, the first guy I talked to did say that our modem is not set up for a static IP like it should be. Supposedly, I'm going to be redirected to the right person eventually and they'll help me out, but since I just they just hung up on me... Anyway it looks like that's the problem. I just have to spend the day with hold music and tech support.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    What is the modem? Which ISP?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The modem is a Zyxel Prestige 900 series. The ISP is Time Warner. I got off the phone with yet another tech and he says the modem is set up correctly. Another tech is supposed to call me back, but I don't know if that will even happen.
    We use a static IP because we have another branch access our network through a VPN ( I might have already said this). I was looking up info about DDNS to see if we could use that to allow the other office to VPN in. Would that be a good idea or not?

Advanced Member
    If you are paying for a static IP then make sure you get what you pay for. I wouldn't settle for a "workable" solution because my ISP couldn't figure out how to get my static IP working. In reality it is a pretty simple setup and they should be able to find out what is going on easy enough. Just check on your end, make sure you are using the correct IP, subnet mask, gateway, etc.

Is the replacement modem the same model as the one that worked with your static IP?

The 900 is often configured as a router..already doing NAT and all standard gateway functions for a network. Have they reconfigured it to be run as just a plain modem? Else..you're double NAT'ing with your RV0.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    The 900 is often configured as a router..already doing NAT and all standard gateway functions for a network. Have they reconfigured it to be run as just a plain modem? Else..you're double NAT'ing with your RV0.
    Good point. I wouldn't necessarily rely on the cable company to get my answer though (especially after one person says it is right and another says it isn't. What IP do you get when using DHCP (public or private)?

The business cable setups where I do them....Comcast uses SMC modems/gateways. They give you an IP block to use. When I setup my own routers behind them...you can IP map one of the IPs from the block to the WAN interface of your own router.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yeah, I've learned I can't count on the cable company. If the modem is usually set up as a router then that it most likely the problem. I assume that if this is the case, I should be able to route straight through the modem and our network would have access. Not that I would want to keep it this way but then I would at least know the problem. Am I right?
    As far as mapping, I don't believe they give us a block. I can find out, but like I said, I've lost faith in finding any answers with them. Is there another way to figure this out?
    If you haven't figured out by now, I was hired to 'make sure a few computers kept running,' after the last guy just decided to quit, but now I'm dealing with problems a bit out of my league. It's a great way to learn, but when it's crunch time its a bit overwhelming. Anyway, thanks for the help so far. Hopefully I'm on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by themillerj View Post
    As far as mapping, I don't believe they give us a block. I can find out, but like I said, I've lost faith in finding any answers with them. Is there another way to figure this out?
    No..the ISP has this information..it's their block of IPs that they give you (usually 5 usable). The modem/gateway that they give you...usually takes the first IP..assigns that to its built in routers WAN interface...and runs NAT behind that. It's also capable of passing on 4x more public IPs...you take the second one..assign that to your own routers WAN interface...usually manually typing in that public IP, the subnet mask, default/remote gateway, and 2x DNS servers. I've done this with quite a few RV082 routers behind SMC modem/gateways.
    Guinness for Strength!!!