Thread: dsl or cable for gaming?

dsl or cable for gaming?

Hello...

sorry if this is a newbie question....

but Ive been playing pro-evo soccer online I have 8mgb cable service with comcast... and the lag is outrageous....

I have read several posts that seem to suggest that quite possibly a 3mgb/sec dsl is better for gaming than an 8mgb/sec cable...

is that possible...?

Im getting terrible ping tests on speedtest.net and quite frankly the service has gotten worse.. Im really try to make a decision.. wanted to know if anyone had any advice...
    below is analyzer results... (I have windows xp)

SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 12.11.2007 18:33
    IP address: 68.80.xxx.xxx

TCP options string: 020405b40103030201010402
    MSS: 1460
    MTU: 1500
    TCP Window: 256960 (multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 2
    Unscaled RWIN : 64240
    Reccomended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920
    BDP limit (200ms): 10278kbps (1285KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 4111kbps (514KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 38
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00100000 (32)
    Precedence: 001 (priority)
    Delay: 0 (normal delay)
    Throughput: 0 (normal throughput)
    Reliability: 0 (normal reliability)
    Cost: 0 (normal cost)
    Check bit: 0 (correct)
    DiffServ: CS1 001000 (8) - class 1 (RFC 2474). Similar forwarding behavior to the ToS Precedence field.

if you have Comcast you really need to keep on them to fix a problem.. I mean daily.

But if the connection is working good then its great for gaming vs the DSL..just depends on routing, I suggest asking the DSL ISP for a trial month and test it out with your cable and see which you like better. My local phone company let me do that with no sign up fee, no early disconnect fee cancel anytime and I Did for about 3months and decided to stay with Comcast after they finally fixed my connection after 8months of hell

Do a couple ping tests to a few sites like google, yahoo, msn.

Are you on a wireless connection?

ping test....

yeah... right now... ping test is about 73

73 isnt bad, wireless could be part of the issue with lag feeling bad. Its not the best for gaming. If you can, when it gets bad, compare your wireless results with a wired connection test.

Also when it gets bad check your singal pwoer levels, if you have a motorla modem it would be found here: http://192.168.100.1/

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    It depends on which ISPs are available in your area.

By design..DSL can be lower in latency. BUT...most people usually get their DSL through the local phone company. The phone companies were never the best at providing dial up..what makes people think they do the best DSL? However...shop around and see which higher quality DSL providers are in your area..and you'll have very nice steady low pings. Pay more..yes...but you get what you pay for.

Where I lived prior to now...I had both cable, and DSL..the DSL was from a good business DSL provider that I used to resell for, pure bridged DSL, not PPPoE DSL. I used to constantly have one of the lowest pings on servers I'd online game on. The cable provider was Comcast...they were pretty good latency wise. Both Comcast and my bridged DSL were way lower than local phone company DSL.

So my first choice was quality bridged DSL from a good provider.
    Comcast was a second choice...close behind. Awesome awesome download speeds though, and rock solid reliable. Good fast support also.
    Phone company DSL would have been my last choice.

And yes wireless isn't great for gaming. When I moved to the house I'm in now....had to run wireless for a while til I got setup more. Aweful for gaming, ended up going with powerline ethernet adapters to get rid of the wireless hiccups when gaming.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by truewind View Post
    I have read several posts that seem to suggest that quite possibly a 3mgb/sec dsl is better for gaming than an 8mgb/sec cable...

is that possible...?
    I happen to agree with this statement ,atleast that is my experience too.
    But i have to admitt i'm a total nitwit on connections and can't tell you why ,or give any proof of this.
    Just my own experiences with it.

When i had a 2 meg DSL ,my gaming was almost perfect ,and ever since i upgraded to 4 meg DSL > 6 meg DSL > 8 meg Cable , it never was the same anymore.
    Although my ping with my cable connection is better than ever, and so is stability and UP/DL .
    I'm having trouble when playing online alot.
    Wich means shooting blanks , not lag or anything.

I've spend alot of time researching my own connection ,as i suspected packetloss etc, but found out in the end it probably isn't my own connection wich is the culpritt.

As i was in a COD UO clan , i specced alot of players when i wasn't playing myself .
    And i found out that the ones who had the "Best" games regarding shots going home ,and difficult to hit by others , also had the worst connections to the server.
    They suffered from connection interrupts alot ,and had very wide and inconsistent upload bars.
    I won't say that all lower speed connections are like this ,but when i asked them what connection they had ,i mostly got the same answer: 1 or 2 meg DSL.
    So although their interrupts were a pain to them ,they had a general profit when in game.
    Don't think it's just their connection to blame though ,just think it's how gameservers work.
    They make a snapshot of the moment the action takes place ,and has to wait for all data to decide what happened.
    So fast and stable connections ,are the first to arrive at the server, and then it waits for the slower ones .
    If the moment has passed before the last data arrived ,the server drops the packets it already received ,and calculates new from thereon.
    So think when online gaming ,your connection is as good / bad as the slowest one on the server.
    Wich means ,having a fast / stable connection can work negatively on you ,when gaming .
    As you're packets get dropped alot by the server ,so you'll be shooting blanks from your view.
    you can sometimes see this when playing on a killcam activated server, although these images aren't real time either.
    But you can see , if you already shot an opponent a few times ,and wonder why nothing happens, and killcam shows the action .
    You'll probably notice that the shots you fired weren't registered ,so won't show on killcam either.
    So it will look as if you're running ahead of the game , but in reality most of your packets get dropped by the server , to synchronise you to the other players.

I know ,this whole story maybe sounds like alot of B.S. , but it's just my two cents......
    Last edited by Outlaw; 12-31-07 at 12:49 PM.

well, my story:

I posted here about my poor cable connection

10 mbps charter cable slows down in evenings

I get pissed, now I have both the cable and a 3 mbps verizon dsl connection

my cable slows down to about 2 to 3 mbps in evenings, and my dsl speed is about the same

BUT, and it's a huge but, the dsl connection for gaming is way better than my current cable connection

when my cable runs good, I ping to steam game servers in my area at the exact same latency or ping as I do with the dsl

(games are dod, dod:s, and tf2)

when cable runs slow, the ping times that are normally teens to 20's jump to sometimes 100's or several hundreds

dsl is always at the same good ping times

my experience is that charter cable sucks, and verizon dsl is much better for gaming