Thread: PC Will Not Boot to the BIOS

PC Will Not Boot to the BIOS

First off I want to apologize that I don't have my system specs. listed (at work). I can come back later and post or put in my profile later.

My problem is this; I powered off my comp. before Thanksgiving and when I came back on Sunday, I powered it up, started playing WoW and the computer crashed...all the way to OFF. I rebooted the machine and I loaded windows (Vista Ultimate) in the Safe Mode...crashed again. After that, I couldn't even get the comp. to boot to the BIOS. After resetting the CMOS switch, pulling and reseating the Video card, sound card, all 4 gigs of RAM and all cables, I still can't get to the BIOS.

Instead of ripping out the Mobo and sending it back, I'm trying to eliminate other possible causes. After reading many threads on this board, people tend to lean towards the PSU. I've got a call into the Vendor ATM to walk me through the steps of putting a multi-meter on it to see if that's the culprit. I tend to think it's not the PSU because all (4) fans come on with all the lights. But my ignorance in this field may cause me to think wrong.

It's an nForce 590 SLI board and I'm getting the LED code error of : 02. And the machine does not BEEP when it tries to boot. The techs at XFX couldn't tell me what the 02 code meant .

Anyway, these forums seem to be hopping with good support, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

sounds like mobo just took a dump on you.

Make sure the CPU heatsink is securely attached.

Remove all but 1 stick of ram, try and boot, if no love, switch that 1 stick for one of your others, and repeat trying all sticks.

Tks for the info so far. I now have sys. specs. in profile

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I'd unplug all internal components except your CPU...and power up each time..see if you don't get the beeps. If no beeps or errors...start replacing components 1 by 1...vid card....RAM....hard drive...etc etc.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

My bet is on the PSU, I have had clients bring me pc's that they have tested the PSU with a mutimeter and said it was good, I have a $20 PSU tester that said they were bad, replaced the PSU and everything worked perfectly. PSU go bad all the time, I would recommend Cooler Master PSU's such as the COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-600, high quality that won't break the bank.

Again, thanks for the replies. I think I've decided on returning something (since everything is still under warranty) and I'm going to start with the Mobo. What if it's not the Mobo, will vendor just send it back and tell me it's good then I proceed to the next thing which will be the PSU and continuing returning stuff until problem is solved? What vexes me is there are computers that can diagnose a car and other devices. Why isn't there a device you can plug into a computer to check everything and say "Hey dummy it's your Mobo"?

Have you tried any of the suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Have you tried any of the suggestions?
    Yes..and all but pulling the CMOS battery, I'm at a dead end. No beeps and no BIOS page seems to be either the PSU or mobo. However, the reason I lean towards the mobo is because even with all 4 fans unplugged, still no boot. My logic would tend to reason if the fans are cut from power then the PSU would have plenty of juice to at least power the mobo...right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pythium View Post
    My logic would tend to reason if the fans are cut from power then the PSU would have plenty of juice to at least power the mobo...right?

If the PSU is the issue turning the fans off will do little good.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythium View Post
    My logic would tend to reason if the fans are cut from power then the PSU would have plenty of juice to at least power the mobo...right?
    Nah...if a power supply is wonky...many odd things can happen.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Also, try a different known good video card.

Video is the first thing checked in boot up, and it seems it's not booting past that check.

Just a hunch....

I had exactly same problem couple weeks ago ....RAM was bad, both sticks.
    I would try different RAM, borrow it from your friend, relative ...someone and see.1 stick will be enough.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

www.kit-tronics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rivas View Post
    I had exactly same problem couple weeks ago ....RAM was bad, both sticks.
    I would try different RAM, borrow it from your friend, relative ...someone and see.1 stick will be enough.
    I have 4 sticks of 1gb RAM and I doubt all 4 were bad. I ended up pulling the PSU and hooking it up to another comp. Boot to the BIOS np at all, so I jerked the mobo and am now on hold with XFX to find out about returns...it's been a long wait BTW.

***UPDATE***

It was the motherboard. So for future reference and to help anyone having the same problem I wanted to update thread.

Hi all,

Thanks for this Thread, I'm having the same issue though in XP pro.
    It just Froze up, if it was playing and sound at the time it would loop the last note really fast.
    This happened a few days ago and I rebooted fine then it got worse where to the point it wont boot.

Did the usual reset Cmos, removed refitted components, all lights and fans work fine.

It's a new built I put together about 2months ago, so I'll test the PSU on my other PC and send the mofo, sry bo back.

I'll let you know you if it was the same issue.

Cheers

**UPDATE**

Mine too, send the board back and had a credit within 1 day, I think this is not the first time they have problems with this board, because in the clearance section they have about 7 of this model which tells me they've had repeated problems with this board (MSI P6N SLI Plat). so I go this one as a replacement: Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus

Anyway, keep this thread alive as it was a big help.

thx all

Same Problem booting P5N32-E

My configuration is:
    I have already replaced the motherboard and still same thing. I looked at PSU and in the main power connecto4r 20+4pin there is an empty hole and no metalic thing like in the other holes. Is it bad or did it just come that way. I looked online for pixs of it but found nothing that would show it.
    Andy
    Thermaltake W0131RU ATX12V / EPS12V 850W Power Supply - Retail

ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

ASUS Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A-BK - OEM

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM

Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail

ENCORE 5 Port USB2.0 PCI Card Model ENLUSB2-5PCI-BR - Retail

Rosewill RCR-102 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Black Card Reader - Retail

G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL6S-2GBMQ - Retail

ASUS EN8800GTX/HTDP/768M GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail