I have relatively fast internet (max 20 Mbps) and if I do a speed test the results are not bad (below you see some results). I live in Madrid, Spain and my ISP is ORANGE.
However, my browsing experience can be very slow.
- often pages time out
- downloading attachment from Gmail is very slow
- when things go fine: ~150...200 KB/sec
- very often: ~20...40 KB/sec
- downloading videos from CNN
- when things go fine: ~500...800 KB/sec
- very often: ~30...50 KB/sec
I suspect the problem is on my side but I do not know how to pinpoint it. I had similar issues in the past... a complete reinstall of XP did the trick but I am looking for a permanent and less aggressive solution.
- XP Professional (SP2)
- Firefox 126.96.36.199 (in IE the problem seems to be the same but I didn't experiment much with it)
- ZoneAlarm FREE (but even if it is disabled it makes no difference.)
- ASUS A8N SLI PREMIUM with on-board network card
- SpeedTouch 585 ADSL modem/router (connected to PC by cable not WiFi)
I've been experimenting with TCPOptimizer (the speed test results below show different settings) but doesn't seem to solve the problem even if, in general, it positively affects the speed test results.
I observed that most of the time just after restarting my PC the speed is OK. However as I keep surfing things starts to slow down very quickly (e.g. downloading from Gmail as I mentioned above).
How can I find where the bottleneck is?
I'd appreciate any ideas how to find what causes this slow down.
Some of the results from www_speedtest_net: