Thread: Wireless Signal Excellent, Internet Slow as molasses =(

Wireless Signal Excellent, Internet Slow as molasses =(

So lately I have had serious lag issues. I've tried various solutions.

New Router, moving the router, changing the channel etc. All the normal bs. However nothing helps. My signal strength is excellent and stable. However my internet is horrible. A wired pc on our net gets 6mb down and 2 up, I get 700kb down and 200kb up...and I am only 15 ft from the router with 1 wall (not electrical wiring or insulation in the wall) between the pc and router.

Im using the WRT54G Linksys Router v8.0.02. Can I adjust something to fix this issue?I know little about the advanced wireless settings and theres limited information provided by linksys.

Thanks in advance,
    Drew

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Did you try any of the tips in a thread stickied at the top of this forum?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yes sir, I the SSID is very unique, Ive changed the channel several times. I played with the Burst rate and the Frag Threshold or whatever (I know some but not alot, and I dont have the router config in front of me) and the Beacon interval. Then reset it back to default (other than the SSID) because those only worsened the situation....

I see suggestions of a 3rd party firmware, Im willing to test this method but I cannot find any for my version of router WRT54G v8.0.02 (thats the latest firmware)....I had a v4 of this router and did not have these issues. But a lightening storm got that and the PC. I also tried (Cant remember the model number) the cheap G 4 port Belkin....It apparently didnt get along with Cox. Im getting pretty frustrated. I dont want to drill holes but Ive never had these issues before. Any help is thankful.....

I also will try this LELA software when I get home, I was not aware of this.

Please someone get back to me on that firmware question tho. Thanks alot guys!

Quote Originally Posted by nerdstaz View Post
    My signal strength is excellent and stable. However my internet is horrible.
    Thanks in advance,
    Drew
    Hello - This is just a shot in the dark. I had this problem and I'm wondering how widespread it is.

Open Device Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and check the CPU usage. If it is running high (20% or higher while surfing the net only), you should be able to check the Processes to see which ones are using the CPU. But, if the "System Idle Process" is running near 99%, that means no processes are using the CPU and so it shouldn't be running high. Also, when you disconnect, your CPU will lower to normal. This scenario indicates that you may have a wireless antenna "interference" problem.

I had high CPU usage of around 20% whenever I connected using my d-link dwl-g510 wireless adapter. In my case, I had wires from the mouse, keyboard, and monitor draped around the wireless antenna. When I moved the wires away, my CPU usage dropped to 1-2%. However, when I moved the antenna down toward the wooden desk, the CPU went back up to 20%. So, it seems that any antenna interference is bad.

To find the best antenna position, the Device Manager is a very handy gauge. Just keep an eye on the CPU usage data while you move it around. In my case, just a small 1 inch change made all the difference.

I hope this helps.

Conclusion:

After I added two USB Hard Drives to the computer, I had too many cables around the little antenna to get good reception. I could not find a position that would work. So, I did some research and bought this antenna.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2416836&cp

Just in case the above link stops working, the antenna I bought is the
    D-Link 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

It screws into the wireless card after removing the original antenna. It has a shielded cable to eliminate interference and it fixed all my problems. It works great.