Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bioshock?

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    I want it bad! The 360 demo is amazing, the atmosphere in this game is amazing (kind of reminds me of how bad ass RE4 was the 1st time).

THe RPG elements should add alot to the gameplay.

Damned move coming up or id buy it now!
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I'm reading a lot on their forums about the securerom rootkit that gets installed even with the demo...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I'm reading a lot on their forums about the securerom rootkit that gets installed even with the demo...
    Thank for the info.. I was thinking about downloading the demo.
    Do they warn about the root kit, before installation?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    Thank for the info.. I was thinking about downloading the demo.
    Do they warn about the root kit, before installation?
    Nope. Not even sure why they'd need it for the demo...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

I didn't see no rootkit in the demo.. I scanned it several times with different things and nothing shows a issue with it.

Blog Entries
    Nope. Not even sure why they'd need it for the demo...
    Hmmm...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I didn't see no rootkit in the demo.. I scanned it several times with different things and nothing shows a issue with it.
    Hmmmm.. Hard to see the dark side is.. yes..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Well, I'm not really sure now...the forums are blasting the game for the securerom stuff on the retail game...it's possible that I got it on my system from another game that I've installed recently...

Doesn't really matter anyway, as I can't play the game until I upgrade to a card that has sm 3.0...
    ------

Ran great on my PC, but it's not my kind of game. Too dark, you can't see ANY enemies, you can only hear them. That is of course until they're infront of you smacking you with a pole. I much prefer running around on an island with a sniper or something.

Still, the graphics were good, and mixed with the great audio and commentary it's a certainly puts you into the action.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

the trojan warning i had on the demo was that root kit deal, maybe i should run a root kit revealer now, what is a good free one ?

what the hell is a root kit anyways ??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    the trojan warning i had on the demo was that root kit deal, maybe i should run a root kit revealer now, what is a good free one ?

what the hell is a root kit anyways ??
    It's basically programming that allows undetectable processes to run under windows. It's usually not detectable by normal means (ie virus scan, adware checker)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by The Cult of Rapture
    UPDATES ON SECUROM™, PC ACTIVATION, AND A TECHNICAL FAQ
    August 23, 2007

We have been reading and listening to your frustrations over SecuROM, PC activation problems, and technical support issues since BioShock launched on Tuesday, and we've devised a plan to help.

Starting immediately, we will be upping the activation count to a 5 by 5 plan. We will be raising the maximum amount of computers a user can have BioShock installed on simultaneously from 2 to 5, and allowing a user to reinstall BioShock on each of those computers from 3 times to 5 times. Also, we have in the works a revoke tool which you will be able to run on your machine if you want to free up that key and move it to to another computer (this works very much like Steam or iTunes system). We are also working with SecuROM and 2K customer service, so that when you do need to call in support problems, you get answers to your questions faster, without much waiting or being bounced around. SecuROM has been given much more autonomy to help fix your problems quickly and effectively. I am personally sorry for anyone who got bounced around in the past couple days (I even think I contributed to this problem) and we're going to make sure that does not happen in the future.

As for other technical issues, we are bringing on a team of tech support that will be on the 2K forums 24/7 to help people resolve their technical issues. Our QA guys are in the offices and on the forums, too, reproducing issues and looking for workarounds and compiling information that they can put towards making you a patch and updating the knowledge base.

Also, we are aware that our activation server went down last night, stopping some of you from finishing your installs. The server is up and running now and we have corrected the problem that caused that crash.

Finally, we have released a FAQ, which you can view in full below (and will also be posted on the 2K Forums in the Technical Support area) that will help clear up a lot of questions and misinformation that has been floating around about SecuROM and PC activation.

And as for widescreen, we also want to say we completely understand a user's desire to augment their FOV. BioShock is a harrowing experience, but we don't want anyone to feel limited (or motion sick!). So we are in the process of working on an official PC patch to give widescreen PC users a choice to expand their horizontal FOV, and are investigating creating a similar update for the 360.

And finally, I want to personally congratulate Racer_S from the Widescreen Gaming Forums, and his awesome user patch to expand the widescreen FOV in BioShock. I'm currently tracking him down via email, but hopefully, he'll accept my gratitude, and maybe an Nvidia 8800 to boot.
    http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/pc_faq.html

I'll think I'll pass with all of this BS going on.

Blog Entries
    It's a shame that legit paying customers have to put up with the securerom crap only to find out that the game has been hacked less than 48 hours after release...
    ------

i heard the cd lets you install only twice :|

Quote Originally Posted by yoyaz View Post
    i heard the cd lets you install only twice :|
    Originally posted three posts up

Starting immediately, we will be upping the activation count to a 5 by 5 plan. We will be raising the maximum amount of computers a user can have BioShock installed on simultaneously from 2 to 5, and allowing a user to reinstall BioShock on each of those computers from 3 times to 5 times. Also, we have in the works a revoke tool which you will be able to run on your machine if you want to free up that key and move it to to another computer (this works very much like Steam or iTunes system).

okay, i tried the MOH demo today and had similar issues, seems as though i had my virtual memory set to a static size of 1GB and i changed it to system managed and it seems to have fixed MOH, i wonder if i should try bioshock once more.

i read about someone else having issues in bioshock and resetting the virtual memory helped them, so i figured i would try it as both games use the unreal engine i think.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~240GB-SSD-scratch~120GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

i'm kinda like izzo at this point... i've not even fooled with it cause of all the can't load more than 2 times crap etc... you paid for the game its yours to do with whatever you want. Same way music and dvds disks should be.

Blog Entries
    I agree with you guys.. I think I'll wait a bit on this one..
    Maybe I'll head over to read the forums and see about this so called "rootkit".
    Sounds more like a copyright control / loading thing, other then giving like
    administrator / 'root' like access to your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    Maybe I'll head over to read the forums and see about this so called "rootkit".
    Sounds more like a copyright control / loading thing, other then giving like
    administrator / 'root' like access to your computer.

Does SecuROM install a root kit on my computer?
    No. SecuROM DOES NOT USE any root kit technology in its implementation. SecuROM Product Activation does place a folder and registry keys on your system. These folders are used only for storage of license information and information to assist with disc authentication. Please do not modify or delete these files. Tampering with these files may result in authentication issues.

What is a root kit?
    A "rootkit" can be described as software or a set of software tools intended to conceal running processes, files or system data from the operating system and which can open ports to allow remote access to the system.

A "rootkit" makes it possible for viruses or other malicious programs ("malware") to hide content on a user's PC. In this way, a virus or other malware may remain undetected, even if updated anti-virus software is installed.

SecuROM DOES NOT USE any root kit technology in its implementation. SecuROM Product Activation does place a folder and registry keys on your system. These folders are used only for storage of license information and information to assist with disc authentication. Please do not modify or delete these files. Tampering these files may result in authentication issues.
    It's fairly sad that silly copy protection issues like these (and don't get me wrong, even though it's not a root kit I'm still not thrilled with crap like SecuROM) will prevent people from experiencing this game.

As a long-time System Shock fan, I'm hoping 2K will find a way to make things right for the PC users, and not by simply bumping up the number of installs that you're allowed. Thank god the console version has none of these issues. :o