Thread: Atheros (problem)

Atheros (problem)

hi guys

i have read many forums, but couldn't find an answer on my problem. So please don't get mad at me if it's really easy to solve. Here is my problem.

i have just bought a ACER Aspire 5102. It's a x64bit and it has Vista home Premium 32bit on it. Everything is fine, till i start downloading from usenet. I also forgot to mention that i got a 20mbit/s internet connection. So i start downloading with 2mbyte/s and 30 sec later, it stops. The wifi icon says then "limited acces". I have tried it with another laptop and he didn't had the problem. So the problem isn't the router. It is the Wifi card in my laptop. I have tried different drivers. And this the same problem. I have tried to uninstall the card. But still the same problem. This only happens when i download big files. So if the download takes les then 30 sec nothing happens. I have uploaded a pic. of my problem. the link = http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6...problemoc0.jpg

I really hope that there is someone who knows how to solve this problem

already thanks Kdeo

Hi kdeo, I have pretty much the same laptop and know quite a few people with this same one as well. The Atheros wireless chipset is the best, but the proper drivers are a must as well, the one's that come with Vista and even the updated ones from Windows update don't work for me. The latest are 5.0.0.17, these are actually for XP but work best for Vista. To be honest I can't remember where I found these drivers but if you PM me with your email address I'm send them to you.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Personally I hate the Atheros chipsets with a passion (based on working on them on clients PCs..and one of my own laptops has one built in). One thing to try though...I've seen it help quite a few times. I know you say your wireless router works fine with another laptop or PC....but sometimes upgrading the firmware on the wireless router will make it more compatible with newer wireless chipsets and drivers.

Also...if you have any "turbo" modes on the wireless router...try disabling those.

Are you using any security on the wireless?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

thanks for the help guys.To YeOldeStonecat: This problem isn't only at my router but also at my friends house and on the university that i''m studing at. So i could try to upgrade the firmware at my house but i will still get the same problem at school. But i will try.

Solution :D

hi guys. Thanks for ur help.

I found the solution.

I finally found the driver for the vista. It's for 64bit as 32bit and it work like a charm. I'm getting even a higher download speed.My download speed was before 2mbyte/s and after installing this driver i get 10% higer spee. 2,2mbyte/s. Here try it out ur self. The link =

http://www.station-drivers.com/telec...0.93-vista.exe.

The link is slow so don't get mad.

If the link doesn't work contact me i will upload it to a site so u can download.

kdeo

Talking Re: ATHEROS PROBLEMS /SOLUTION FOUND

I too had the same problems with my new acer 4720z with atheros ar5007eg,vista 32 home prem. Loss of connectivity, loss of wireless devices sight and terrible speeds while connected. After returning my first machine I encountered the same problems with my new one. I was able to identify the source of the problem and fix it. I noticed that it worked fine out of the box. After the fist series of auto updates came through was when the problems started. The solution turned out to be quite simple. UNINSTALL THE ATHEROS UPDATES. These updates would have been downloaded and installed through the Windows update util. Uninstall them through that same utility. In essense this returns the nic to its original working condition when first purchased. I have since tested this solution on other acers and worked through this fix with acer on the phone and they too confirmed its effect (although they won't publish it). After doing this remember to set your auto updates so that you can manually review and install only the ones you want, making sure the problem does repeat. I checked the second update they released (around end of march) and it too caused the same problems again I uninstalled it and again everything worked perfectly. Since then I have had no problems and experience excellent connectivity and speeds (99.99% connect /15Mb+ up/down) Sounds couter intuitive but it worked for me. Promise

SOLUTION: Through windows update utility, search through your installed updates. Unistall atheros updates. restart That's it. Remeber to set you updates so that you can manually chose which ones to install NO AUTO UPDATE!!! ACER4720z atheros ar5007eg, vista 32 home prem. While it may be true that one fix does not work on all machines I have tested this solution many times on 4 different acer w/ the same config and every time it ifxed all problems all system continue to run perfect. You would think somebody would do something about this.

NEXT ? : will installing sp1 result in the same problems? It can not be uninstalled. personally, I'm erring on the side of caution and staying away from it.

NOTE: If my solution doesn't work for you, you can always just reinstall the updates. Good luck hope it helps.

ONE LAST NOTATION: The Atheros updates which caused the problems are all OPTIONAL updates. I bought my acer march 11th and both optional updates caused the same problems and both were picked up by my machines in March (the second one may have been early april but i believe they were both in march. If it's not broken don't fix it!