Thread: installing switch before router

installing switch before router

I'm trying to install a network switch in front of my router. So I'm going from the cable modem (comcast connection), hooking to the network switch, then from the network switch running to one computer, and then also hooking the router to the network switch for the other four computers.

The reason I am doing this is so I have less issues when gaming online with my gaming computer (the computer that is hooked to the switch before the router).

The problem is, if I hook the gaming computer to the switch first, and detect an internet signal, and then hook the router to the switch, the router will not detect an internet signal. I can hook the router up first, and detect the internet, but then hooking the gaming computer up second to the switch it receives a "limited connectivity" warning, and no internet.

Is there a way to make this work?

I'm using a Motorola Surfboard 5120 modem, a Dlink 4100 wired router, and a Dlink 8 port 10/100/1000 switch.
    Last edited by kctay; 03-05-07 at 09:13 AM.

You would need to buy a second IP address from your ISP to make that setup work.

Quote Originally Posted by kctay View Post
    I'm trying to install a network switch in front of my router. So I'm going from the cable modem (comcast connection), hooking to the network switch, then from the network switch running to one computer, and then also hooking the router to the network switch for the other four computers.

The reason I am doing this is so I have less issues when gaming online with my gaming computer (the computer that is hooked to the switch before the router).

The problem is, if I hook the gaming computer to the switch first, and detect an internet signal, and then hook the router to the switch, the router will not detect an internet signal. I can hook the router up first, and detect the internet, but then hooking the gaming computer up second to the switch it receives a "limited connectivity" warning, and no internet.

Is there a way to make this work?

I'm using a Motorola Surfboard 5120 modem, a Dlink 4100 wired router, and a Dlink 8 port 10/100/1000 switch.
    On your Router does it help if you set that gaming computer to DMZ.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Removing the router, or sticking your PC in the DMZ, exposes your PC to the threats of the internet..hacking, worms, exploits, .... suicide for the PC.

I'd look into why your current router isn't performing well, focus on getting that working, perhaps getting a better performing router, and keep your PC protected.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!