Thread: Comcast Software Download Page

Comcast Software Download Page

Ongoing problem:

I wont install the Comcast Software. I just wont.

I use a recent laptop and a recent Linksys wireless router

every session usually eventually encounters a redirect, when following a link, or loading am ad/image heavy page, to the Comcast Load Our Software Click Here page

even if i ignore it an just go to other pages (once a link has been redirected, it will always bring up that gd page), i eventually have to disconnect from the router, shut off the browser (I use firefox but have experienced this in IE), restart the connection, then reload the browser, and then i am off and running again, for a while, before i have to do it again.

on MySpace, images will first become broken-linked, and then MySpace becomes unusable, comcast showing up in all the ad spaces before rendering myspace unnavigable

i refuse to load their goddamn software, i know that all i need is tcp/ip and an ip address to participate on the net, so their software is unnecessary and suspect. i am assuming that they have a nuisance factor to ensure compliance, but i also have to assume that there is a setting/tweak somewhere to avoid this obstructive nonsense.

hep me somebody

Last edited by buckifan; 02-17-07 at 02:07 PM. Reason: redundant

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Call them and have them provision the modem. I run on Comcast myself, and have setup a lot of them...I've never installed their software (nor any ISPs software for that matter on other connections like DSL)

How do you have them provision the modem? Call their support..and ask them to....telling them you're stuck on their intranet registration site. They will ask you to read them the MAC address of the modem...give them like 5 minutes to find it and upload the config file...power cycle the modem...power cycle the router once the modem synchs..release/renew your computer to pickup the new DNS servers, and you should now have a fully public IP address with different DNS servers..and surf away.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

tankee very much. guinness for fortitude!

Commi-cast

Oh, you mean comcast? More like commi-cast. They intentionally block IP's from doing certain things for brief periods of time. (LIKE gambling online from downloaded software, downloading from LimeWire, P2P connections, etc.. )They call it Net Neutrality, and say that they have every right to limit connections. Well, if you check out this NY Times article http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ity-advocates/, Comcast states it is doing nothing wrong.... I think not.. I think that if you pay for service, you should get what you pay for and nothing less. It seems they have the market on the "telecommunications" front, so what can you do? They are a monopoly and I think that the DOJ should do something about it.. I too, have had the same problems that you have with having to reset my router, not once or twice a day, but 4 or 5 times a day because all of a sudden the service just stopped working. I downloaded an International backdoor entry program that gives me a different IP address so that I can do all of my P2P, gambling, etc.. UNINTERRUPTED.. So, thanks Comcast.. If I were the one specifically paying for your service, I would spend my money elsewhere.. even a pay by the hour service is better than yours.

Go Buckeyes..

bonoba is a bit out of date on this lol

Also great at bumping old and dead threads.

see, bonoba.. not bonobo

I am a girl, what do you expect?

you dont need to install comcast software ...

sounds like your modem is not activated. Cal lthem and they will activate it.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbus View Post
    you dont need to install comcast software ...

sounds like your modem is not activated. Cal lthem and they will activate it.
    Was there really a need to bump this thread again?

no, but i will again