Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need pseudoephedrine (sudafed) substitute

Exclamation Need pseudoephedrine (sudafed) substitute

I have chronic sinus (allergy realted) problems.

pseudoephedrine is regulated here. I can only get 2 pkgs of 20 tabs a month. I've been circumventing that by stocking up every time I go to the City.

I've had bad reactions to just about everything over the counter I've tried. Actifed, benadryl and I'm not sure off hand what else.

Yesterday I discovered that the pharmacies in the City have all their systems tied in now, and I can't get my decongestants because I'm over the limit.. I have a prescription for Allegra D but I can't afford it and it's only 15 tabs- for $57. Sudafed is a lot cheaper...

I can't take the new sudafed, phenylephrine. I have several bad reactions to it.

I was out of decongestants friday. I took some chlorpheniramine maleate tabs fri night. lol, I got up for work at 4 am, turned the alarm off and went back to sleep. I woke about 6:45, slammed a full pot of coffee, and was still too groggy to go to work. I had to call in and went back to bed.

I'm open to anything that won't make me sleepy, something natural would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

WebSites-n-Services.com

Internet Security Guide & Downloads

Blog Entries
    Hi

Nose decongestant? How about that Mucinex "D" (DM for chest too)
    For a natural nose decongestant.. some people swear that echinacea herbal pills.

Hopefully you wont have any bad adverse reactions to anything new..

SG Enthusiast
    My doc suggested Claritin, which is an anti-histamine. It seems to deal with congestion really well with no side effects.

Continued use of pseudoephedrine is really hard on your prostate, and can lead to urinary retention problems. Take it from a guy who has not peed four months, you do not want that. In addition, as y'all know it is tightly controlled these days. You could be mistaken for a member of Hell's Angels if you go shopping for it.

Shinobi, Kip

Thanks guys.

Mucinex D and Claritin D both have Pseudoephedrine.

The main ingredient of claritn, loratidine, makes me nauseous. For prescriptions, all I've ever been able to tak is allegra d and zyrtec d. Both expensive as hell, and I'd need a dr visit for a script. I still haven't paid off the balance on Nov.'s med bills from that mold poisoning...

I'll have to read up on echinacea, I thought that was for immune system boosting and fighting colds.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm at a loss for a substitute.

Kip, doubtless the authorities will be investigating me. I've been circumventing the system since they started this regulation crap last year.

WebSites-n-Services.com

Check in on the Allegra. It's hit the substitute market. You'll still need a prescription but it's a lot cheaper. Fexofenadine Hydrochloride.

If you have a CostCo close, they'll fill perscriptions without a membership if I remember that correctly.

Blog Entries
    nm...

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

DH,

I'm googling it. Interesting, I see there was a lil legal battle...

Kip's words are starting to haunt me. I looked at few sites for pricing... I keep seeing

Please Note: The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency now requires we verify identification by seeing a copy of photo ID from all customers who purchase items containing Pseudoephed...
    DEA... oh great

I'd assumed it was a state thing, never questioned it.

Thanks DH.

WebSites-n-Services.com

oh wait... that says see an id.

here I have to sign the electronic touchpad thingy at the pharmacies. used to be sign a log.

I better look into this.

WebSites-n-Services.com

"Simply Saline" which is a pure saline solution nasal spray works for me. The other saline sprays have additives in them.

My grandmother used to always make a mild salt rinse for her nose and never had a problem with her allergies.

The key is mild...if you make it yourself.

I don't use that other stuff.
    DO NOT JUDGE UNLESS YOU CAN WALK ON WATER. ♥

http://www.blairex.com/SimplySalineReg.html

Thanks Debbie, that's a match for what I'm looking for in the natural category. +1.

That's definately worth a try. I see ordering available from Walgreens.com. I'll have to go to walgreens tomorry after work, I bet that's in stores. I need something regardless... this would be great if it works for me.

WebSites-n-Services.com

Blog Entries
    Consider a RAST test and the appropriate regimen of desensitizing shots.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAST_test

I had the skin test in the 70's. That was quite an experience, lol.

Thanks for the suggestion Hell_Yes. That's a good idea.

I've been told by a couple drs that's it's a combination of allergies and I need some sinus surgery. Screw the sinus surgery.

I know I'm allergic to dusts and molds mostly. I beleive the skin test covered like 500 things... each one a lil "cut" in my back.

WebSites-n-Services.com

Mmm pseudoephedrine

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside View Post
    http://www.blairex.com/SimplySalineReg.html

Thanks Debbie, that's a match for what I'm looking for in the natural category. +1.

That's definately worth a try. I see ordering available from Walgreens.com. I'll have to go to walgreens tomorry after work, I bet that's in stores. I need something regardless... this would be great if it works for me.
    It works for me. When I run out, I usually throw a small pinch of salt in 4 ounces of warm water once every 3 days for as long as I need it.

Diphenhydramine

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside View Post
    [ I beleive the skin test covered like 500 things... each one a lil "cut" in my back.

F-that. I'll continue to suffer.

Hey Ghetto!

I've taken medicine with Diphenhydramine in it and gone to work. And them I'm like out of it for most of the day.

Nothing bothers me, It's great!

Do you get chronic sinus headaches? I do. I'm expecting one tomorrow. I usually get them on Tuesdays. Sunday is like the only day I feel great. Except for later in the evening.

I get this "sick" feeling. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Do you get chronic sinus headaches? I do. I'm expecting one tomorrow. I usually get them on Tuesdays. Sunday is like the only day I feel great. Except for later in the evening.

Root cause: current job.

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post

root cause-- sex chakra is clogged, must open it up !!!!! start wearing the color orange !
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

Bruce Lee