Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norton subscription key in registry

Angry Norton subscription key in registry

Does anyone know where exactly Norton stores the key in the registry? I'm having problems either upgrading or reinstalling this hosed up AV.

- If I upgrade, via the instructions on thier site, it tries to use the same stupid key as the old version giving the same days left and not allowing me to enter a new key.
    - If I uninstall and install again, it tries to reuse the old key. (note: when I say uninstall, I mean uninstall via ADD/Remove, then use the rnav tool on sysmantecs site, then search registry for everything with norton or symantec on it.
    - If I uninstall then try using a retail box, it still uses old key. (apparently the retail install is the same as the downloadable one.)
    - The only place in this junk program to enter a key once installed is the renew using key already obtained, but that key is shorter then the regular keys...useless.

- If it wasn't for the fact that I have to repair systems and upgrade to this worthless software because the owner wants it, I would never taint my system with this garbage. I'd have to say that whoever in Symantec's Corp that designed this retarded system for tracking keys, and whoever approved it, are just plain stupid. At least give a spot to enter a regular key in case someone decides to buy this junk off the shelf to upgrade their copy and fails due to some retarded key structure.

So after all that venting....does anyone know where in the registry this stupid program stores the key so I can delete the stupid entry so I can enter another key to extend the subscription?

P.S. If anyone from Symantec reads this..pass it on to the owner and tell them to have people that speak my native language answer the phone if I can from within the states!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I don't know where it's kept anymore..but when reinstalling symantec/norton products..and you're having a tough time with a prior version, run their removal tool to help get out prior versions.

SymNRT.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Been there, done that...it doesn't remove the subscription key in the registry. Even after running that tool, you can do a search in the reg for 'Norton' or 'Symantec' and find tons of entries. They hid that stupid key in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by doc1696 View Post
    Been there, done that...it doesn't remove the subscription key in the registry. Even after running that tool, you can do a search in the reg for 'Norton' or 'Symantec' and find tons of entries. They hid that stupid key in there somewhere.
    That's odd, that removal tool Stonecat posted has always cleaned the reg entries out. I've used it and had no problems following it w/ a reinstall and different key. What version of Norton?

You did reboot after uninstall and running rnav?

Looks like you'll have to run an uninstaller app and search every key related to symantec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

WebSites-n-Services.com

Internet Security Guide & Downloads

I work on pc's for a living. I really didn't see this problem until the 2006 and 2007 releases. I have verified that the removal tool does not remove the key. You are all welcome to try this theory in a virtual drive if you must..just install the app, activate, remove the way you think it would get rid of it, and then try to reinstall. Amazingly enough, you will not be prompted for a key but instead it shows you what your key is, giving you no way to enter a new key. Trust me, I have spent many MANY hours trying to find a solution to this without restoring the pc to before when norton was not installed. That seems to be the only fix so far, but after a year of using the pc to upgrade, a restore for a whole year would just seem retarded, even if you just restore the registry hive files.

I know yall are all trying help by telling me that the removal tool works great, and really, this is why I'm posting..don't get me wrong, it's just that I've really tried all the "normal" routes, plus a few made up routes, and I'm now at just trying to locate the stupid key in the registry that stores the key so I can remove it.

So you've searched for all symantec/norton/NAV registry keys?

EDIT is this Norton AV or is this symantec Coporate? Version?

Some thoughts....

Did you search the registry for the key, using the key in your regedit search?
    If you did, and it wasn't found then it's either not there or it's masked, encripted.

Have you searched ALL files on your drive for text matching the key.
    Norton may not have put the key in the registry, possibly in a file it looks for later.

One sure fire method to get it all cleaned out and start fresh would be to install Norton on a PC that has never sen Norton. BUT, before you do, take a snapshot of the registry using regshot.
    Take another snapshot after the install and compare the two snapshots using regshot. Regshot will create an html, or text file, listing all created, deleted and modified registry entries. Plus it will give you a list of all files deleted, created, or modified. Use that to go back to your pc and hunt down all the registry entries, and files Norton put on your pc.

Not much fun, but it will work if you are persistant.

Good luck.

I work on pc's for a living. I really didn't see this problem until the 2006 and 2007 releases. I have verified that the removal tool does not remove the key. You are all welcome to try this theory in a virtual drive if you must..just install the app, activate, remove the way you think it would get rid of it, and then try to reinstall. Amazingly enough, you will not be prompted for a key but instead it shows you what your key is, giving you no way to enter a new key. Trust me, I have spent many MANY hours trying to find a solution to this without restoring the pc to before when norton was not installed. That seems to be the only fix so far, but after a year of using the pc to upgrade, a restore for a whole year would just seem retarded, even if you just restore the registry hive files.

I know yall are all trying help by telling me that the removal tool works great, and really, this is why I'm posting..don't get me wrong, it's just that I've really tried all the "normal" routes, plus a few made up routes, and I'm now at just trying to locate the stupid key in the registry that stores the key so I can remove it.
    That explains it. I've run the tool on up to 2K5.

WebSites-n-Services.com

well, the weekend is over. I guess I'll have to do the whole snapshop thing like Norm was talkin about. This sucks. I know I'm gonna waste another half a day finding the key. I'll keep this thread posted if I find anything. I hate for the rest of the world to have to suffer for some idiots at Symantec.

P.S. yes, I did do a search for actual key and it did find it, only it wasn't the only one apparently because it was still there during the reinstall. I'm assuming at this point that it's encypted and not in a normal location.

Unplug cables connecting you to internet

Install norton AV
    Enter this serial number
    [edited out by Philip: no warez/cracks please]

Click on activate now but skip registration .
    Wait 2 minutes, it will keep trying connect to their server.
    Click on activate now by phone.

It will give you phone registration code.
    Connect to the internet and post the code here and I will generate for you Activation Code.

You are good for 365 days.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

www.kit-tronics.com

Quote Originally Posted by rivas View Post
    Unplug cables connecting you to internet

Install norton AV
    Enter this serial number
    [edited out by Philip: no warez/cracks please]

Click on activate now but skip registration .
    Wait 2 minutes, it will keep trying connect to their server.
    Click on activate now by phone.

It will give you phone registration code.
    Connect to the internet and post the code here and I will generate for you Activation Code.

You are good for 365 days.
    Are you offering a warez solution? Thats not a smart move.

Have you tried a manual uninstall per thier site
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...02031914291648

Also maybe a restore to befor it was frist uninstalled maybe something went wrong during the frist uninstall. Maybe you could restore to befor and use a norton uninstaller instead of the windows add/remove.
    "Many people fear nothing more terribly then to take a position which stands out sharply and clearly from the prevailing opinion. The tendency of most is to adopt a view that is so ambiguous that it will include everything and so popular that it will include everyone." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

First, I wanna say to rivas...your just plain DUMB. I'm pretty sure they track ip's per post, so you must be about the dumbest person I know to post warez in a public forum and to offer more assistance durign the process. How about you just post your real name, address, phone number, and social so the feds can pick you up faster.

Second, YES, I have tried the manual uninstall. Didn't you read all the posts above? I think I covered the whole "I did it all" bit.

I did however find a link in NAV07 that actually let you enter another key instead of just a renewal code, thus solving my headache. It wasn't in the normal spot to look so all my frustration kinda blinded me from it. I am however going to still hunt down in the registry where it stores the subscription key.

And so everyone is clear....the removal tool that Symantec has on their site does NOT remove the subscription key, nor does the regular uninstall, nor does doing a search in the registry for "norton" or "symantec".

Just wanted to clear that up since I keep seeing the same responses from above that have been answer now at least 3 times. Please READ..I mean really READ and absorb what your read before posting.

... I did however find a link in NAV07 that actually let you enter another key instead of just a renewal code, thus solving my headache.
    Are you going to post a link and add to the knowledge base, or are you gonna just leave it at that?

It wasn't in the normal spot to look so all my frustration kinda blinded me from it. I am however going to still hunt down in the registry where it stores the subscription key.
    When you find the key, that would be nice info to share here.

And so everyone is clear....the removal tool that Symantec has on their site does NOT remove the subscription key, nor does the regular uninstall, nor does doing a search in the registry for "norton" or "symantec".

Just wanted to clear that up since I keep seeing the same responses from above that have been answer now at least 3 times. Please READ..I mean really READ and absorb what your read before posting.
    No one is arguing w/ you.

Imho, nobody is perfect. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here at SG. Nobody knows everything. There are plenty of members willing and/or eager to help and expand their knowledge.

Also, SG does not charge admission- and the forum is searchable.

I can understand your frustration w/ your problem, and sure it looks like a few of us had concentration problems, but everyone who posted was trying to help...

"Thanks anyway" is a much better response than "Hey idiots, get your heads out of your azzes".

Nobody is getting paid for their contributions. You get what you pay for. At least no-one here tries to steer anyone in the wrong direction.

This is a pretty friendly community w/ a lot of good folks. Welcome to it.

First, I wanna say to rivas...your just plain DUMB. ...
    Woot!

WebSites-n-Services.com

Glad to hear you didn't have to go through the pain of the snapshot method.
    Also happy to see you posted how you did manage to work it out, that will help future guests here.

doc1696, I have to speak my mind now...

Every single person responding to your post(s) was trying to help you (free of charge too), and everyone responding has also been a member here for some time, Rivas included.
    Insulting members, for whatever reason, is not only against the Terms of Service that you and the rest of us signed to when registering here, it is also unproductive.

Myself, I've been here for quite a few years helping when I can. I can tell you very honestly that in those years I couldn't count how many times someone in trouble stated they had done this or that before asking for help, and maybe even bragged about their computer credentials only to eat crow later by following the exact same instructions that they stated they had already done.

Don't be so hard on people who try and help you, they are no more perfect than you are.

peace

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

You only stated in your first post that you tried the RNAV tool..which is old, oudated, replaced by the SymNRT tool.

Regardless..there's an example of, besides bogging down the PC beyond molasses like slow levels, and being ineffective against other more modern threats which most better AV products have evolved to, that I absolutely detest Symantec products. I haven't liked their home user antivirus since version 2003..and their corporate edition antivirus since around version 9.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

To respond to gettoside:

1. I'm not sure how the whole posting a link for the KB, but I can explain it and maybe someone who knows that stuff can add it. When you open the control panel, click on the av tab at top, then click the support tab in middle of page, then click on active product. This was the odd ball since 06 didn't work the same as this one. from here it's pretty much self explainitory. I wish that 06 did this, but anywho it's going to be outdated in a year anyways.

2. Yes, when I do find the key...and I will. I will definitely post it here for all the world to know so no-one else will have to go through this agony.

To everyone:

I understand yall are trying to help. The only person I really trashed was rivas with good cause. I did however make it very clear in my first 2 posts that I was only looking for the location of the sub key in the registry ONLY. just to recap on how everything was being repeated..here we go:

- YeOldeStoneCat stated that I should used the tool at his givin link (SymNRT tool. I did see i put rnav tool, miss leading so I take this one..ya got me! I was upset and in a hurry)
    - Yardofstuff then asks if I did a search in the registry for anything with Norton, Symantec, etc (I did cover this in post 1 & 3)
    - Jeremyboycool then shows another link to the SymNRT tool

Ok, so there was only 2 real repeaters here and YeOldeStoneCat did correct me on the tool name, other then that all the other posts I liked. I can understand, Norm, that talk is cheap and alot of people talk smack and really have no clue what their talking about. I didn't mean to come off like that, it just that I was so frustrated with Symantec, and I still am...except for the hot sounding chic on the phone that helped me, that I might have over vented a bit. I'm sure everyone here can understand that considering the who this is really all about...Symantec.

So...I will return with a location of the key after I analize the registry comparison. I make this my mission, then I will add it to the vb script in the SymNRT tool that I have. I might send Symantec an email showing what keys they need to add...maybe. They might tell me something dumb like they "did that on purpose" stuff. Either way, it will be posted here, and if yall wish I will post a link to the revised vb script for the tool with the newly added, and tested, reg keys.

All in all, I think should be a really good post in the end for figuring out this problem for other peeps in the furture.

fyi-
    Norton AV subscription and registration keys are hidden and encrypted in the Registry. usinmg Norm's suggest will show you registry changes that have occurred but you still won't find the real keys and values because you would have to inspect every change made to the registry after a Norton install, and that means hundreds of keys. It is far easier & less costly to phone Symantec directly. And is is far far more efficient & better to use a different AV program alltogether!

Norton AV ceased being a "high-tech-state-of-the-art-tool" in 2003. Symantec efforts post 2003 have been on "user friendliness, set-it & forget-it, no brainer solutions for the novice home user. Their largest market is OEM systems w/ Norton Security suite pre-installed. They have adopted the MS Security viewpoint cast upon the average home user which is along the lines of "no such thing as too much protection or caution". While this viewpoint is sound, it is not for everyone, esp a skilled user. That "too-much-protection" usually equates to users' willing to compromise performance in exchange for personal security and ease of mind" w/out knowing they are compromising performance because from first boot of that OEM system 9+ Symantec services and processes are running. The user never has seen his system run at peak.

OK, enough of ny Norton bashing...to each his own. Point being that there are some better products out there w/ less hassles overall.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside View Post

Woot!
    Hey psycho stfu.

- Emiliano Zapata

www.kit-tronics.com

First, I wanna say to rivas...your just plain DUMB. I'm pretty sure they track ip's per post, so you must be about the dumbest person I know to post warez in a public forum and to offer more assistance durign the process. How about you just post your real name, address, phone number, and social so the feds can pick you up faster.
    Dont know who is dumb, did I have problem with the software or you ?

Yes they can pick me up, here is my warez collection :

- Emiliano Zapata

www.kit-tronics.com